I need some serious support!

Options
I have been doing so well eating right and losing weight and I have ALWAYS wanted to be VERY skinny. I think its beautiful. Well, finally I'm pretty thin but of course I'm not 100% happy with my body...I'm very muscular so my thighs arent tiny like I want them to be. Anyway, I have been having "womanly" problems so I got a lot of blood testing to find out that my hormones are totally wacked out and my ovaries arent working right because Im too thin for my body type. I weigh on average 120lbs which is healthy for being 5'6" but its obviously not right for my body type. Anyway my doctor wants me to gain at least 10 lbs and I'm SOOOO upset about it. Thats a big deal to me! I have worked so hard to lose it! I dont like my body as much when I gain any weight. What do you guys suggest is a healthy thing to do??

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    If that's you in your profile pic than you're right. That's too small for your body type.

Yes you need to put on weight but do it with the assistance of a councillor or therapist. You deserve to be a healthy weight!

Add me as a friend if you want.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    I suggest you listen to your doctor. Why do you think VERY skinny is beautiful? Your health is very important. Without it, you have nothing ... skinny or not.
  • Molly_Pitcher
    Molly_Pitcher Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Often what we see in ourselves or think is the height of beauty is not actually physically healthy! Listen to your doctor, especially if you have are having health issues. The body needs to be at a healthy weight to regulate all kinds of things and have the right fuel. No matter how skinny you want to be, you won't be able to enjoy it if you are sick!
  • nainaa22
    Options
    The healthy thing to do would be to gain those pounds. 130 lbs for a 5'6'' is good and sexy too. And like someone above me said, if that's your picture then you do look way too skinny, and not in a nice way. Perhaps gaining a bit of weight will not only sort out your health issues but make you look even better?
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    i agree with the doctor, listen to them and gain weight in a healthy fashion.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I have been doing so well eating right and losing weight and I have ALWAYS wanted to be VERY skinny. I think its beautiful. Well, finally I'm pretty thin but of course I'm not 100% happy with my body...I'm very muscular so my thighs arent tiny like I want them to be. Anyway, I have been having "womanly" problems so I got a lot of blood testing to find out that my hormones are totally wacked out and my ovaries arent working right because Im too thin for my body type. I weigh on average 120lbs which is healthy for being 5'6" but its obviously not right for my body type. Anyway my doctor wants me to gain at least 10 lbs and I'm SOOOO upset about it. Thats a big deal to me! I have worked so hard to lose it! I dont like my body as much when I gain any weight. What do you guys suggest is a healthy thing to do??

A sexy woman has muscles!
    Not musclebound!

Eat 20% above maintenance. Up protein to 120g up Essential fats to appx 60g fill the rest with carbs.
    Lift heavy 3 times a week and on off days do 20mins of HIIT to keep fat at a minimum.
    You may want to dip into LeanGains www.leangains.com.
    Hugs and good luck!

PS: It took me appx a month to figure out my maintenance calories due to a high NEAT.
    So If you eat 20% above maint for 2 weeks and dont see a gain then push to 25%...rinse and repeat.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Go to a Doctor and or therapist. RUN don't walk!
    You need guidance beyond what can be offered here and you need it now!
    You have an unhealthy self image that is pushing you down a dangerous path. Please, please, please see a professional so that you can get help before this gets totally out of control.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Go to a Doctor and or therapist. RUN don't walk!
    You need guidance beyond what can be offered here and you need it now!
    You have an unhealthy self image that is pushing you down a dangerous path. Please, please, please see a professional so that you can get help before this gets totally out of control.

Agreed!!
  • gr82run
    gr82run Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling with the thought of 10 lbs more, why not at least start with 5? Maybe things will regulate with 5 and you can compromise.
  • gr82run
    gr82run Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling with the thought of 10 lbs more, why not at least start with 5? Maybe things will regulate with 5 and you can compromise.
  • JenFerguson1
    JenFerguson1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. That is me (in my halloween costume) in my profile pic. I know im a little too thin in some areas but yes, I think being really skinny like a model is pretty. I'm not THAT skinny but I have always thought that was pretty. I eat more than enough. A lot of protein, carbs, etc. but I guess I workout too much? I dont work out THAT much thats why I dont understand. I guess my body is just meant to have a little more fat. I am veryyy muscular which you def. cant tell in my profile pic but I do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred almost every day. I loveeee my muscle tone. I have more abs and definition now than I did in this pic.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor. If your body isnt regulating right its because you are too skinny. And that happens with those too skinny models. You can see your rib cage in your profile pic and that in my opinion is too skinny. After seeing your doc, see a counselor to help you gain the weight that you need too so you can be healthy and regular.
  • cleoleigh
    cleoleigh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on working out and keeping toned!!

However, it sounds like you REALLY might need to talk to a body image/eating disorder counseling professional about what your idea of beautiful and healthy is. Wanting to be a sick figure is not healthy. Especially judging by the photo you posted, the comment you made about your thighs, and then your comment about having even more "definition" now than in that photo. And... freaking out about gaining a few pounds for your health is concerning.

Good luck and remember gaining weight doesn't mean all you gain is fat... :)
  • cleoleigh
    cleoleigh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!!
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, just an auditor, and a man. That said, you are a beautiful woman. I don't know about all the issues you and your doctor have discussed, but I have heard and read that bodyfat being too low or too high can interfere with a woman's cycle. This happens to women bodybuilders as well as obese women. The key here is that you are healthy IN THE OPINION OF YOUR DOCTOR. So if you don't like the opinion of your doctor, then seek a second opinion; otherwise, please listen and follow your doctor's instructions. Being healthy for your body type doesnt mean being "fat". You know that in your mind. Don't let fear control your mind. I would love to be a friend, but please listen to your doctor.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Your body is shutting down non-essential functions in order to keep you alive. If your only concern is being too skinny, then keep doing what you're doing, but realize eventually it may cause permanent health problems and even possibly death.

If you want to be healthy, gain some weight back.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I honestly think super thin is beautiful as well and have always wanted to look like you, however my body type would never support that :( but if you are being negatively affected in your health BC of your weight you should take your doctors advice.. several more severe things can happen (including cardiac arrest, even if youre healthy) due to being underweight. work on adding good weight tho and becoming comfortable with your body.. good luck :)
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    um...you know how you said your ovaries aren't working....that is part of your body shutting down to keep you alive.

as we say where i come from go eat a pie!
  • mbakken90
    mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I think curvy is beautiful :) I think most of the men out there would agree! I know my boyfriend loves it and he told me if I got too skinny he would hate it! I embrace being muscular :)
  • JenFerguson1
    JenFerguson1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    thanks guys and girls! How do I gain "healthy" weight? I know I will still be skinny with just 10 pounds but how should I go about doing it? and yeah, everyone thinks i look terrible this thin. My husband loves me either way but he said he would LOVE if I gained a bit. Its just all hard for me to accept.