PCOS, anyone else?

Options
I was recently diagnosed with PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome). For those of you that don't know what this is or why it would cause a weight problem... the long and short of it is that it is both an endocrine and a reproductive disorder. It often causes insulin resistance and infertility. I could go on and on about all the stuff I've learned since February but the basic deal is that I can't lose the weight and the more weight I carry the worse my symptoms are.

I've read that women with PCOS should try low carb diets but every time I do low carb it wrecks my system and I get kind of sick. I have a history of ED's so I'm very leary of fad diets. Oncce on a fad diet I tend to go overboard and by the time I'm "skinny" I'm in the hospital for fatigue.

I was thinking about trying Ann Louise Gittleman's Fast Track Detox Diet. It's not actually a diet but I thought it might help me kick start my system again and help me unload some toxins. I'm not realy sure if fasting is a good idea because of my history with ED's.

I'd like to know what other gals w/ PCOS have done to shed pesky pounds, I have to do this for my health now more than for the pleasure of burnig my SPANX.

Replies

• ajanieva
    ajanieva Posts: 27
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome). For those of you that don't know what this is or why it would cause a weight problem... the long and short of it is that it is both an endocrine and a reproductive disorder. It often causes insulin resistance and infertility. I could go on and on about all the stuff I've learned since February but the basic deal is that I can't lose the weight and the more weight I carry the worse my symptoms are.

I've read that women with PCOS should try low carb diets but every time I do low carb it wrecks my system and I get kind of sick. I have a history of ED's so I'm very leary of fad diets. Oncce on a fad diet I tend to go overboard and by the time I'm "skinny" I'm in the hospital for fatigue.

I was thinking about trying Ann Louise Gittleman's Fast Track Detox Diet. It's not actually a diet but I thought it might help me kick start my system again and help me unload some toxins. I'm not realy sure if fasting is a good idea because of my history with ED's.

I'd like to know what other gals w/ PCOS have done to shed pesky pounds, I have to do this for my health now more than for the pleasure of burnig my SPANX.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Do a thread search. I know there was an other post similar to this a few weeks ago.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I have been doing the basics... loging my calories, staying with my calorie goals and exercising my butt off, and it is working. I eat carbs, but avoid corn, potatoes (and I do miss potatos), peas, green beans, and anything made with white flour. All other veggies are good. I eat low fat and high fiber. High fiber makes you feel full. I also avoid sugar. It took about a week to get over the sugar cravings, with each day a little better than the previous.

I hope your research has shown that PCOS is a warning sign for Type II diabetes. No one told me that until after I was diagnosed with diabetes. Better to take care of yourself now, before diabetes and all the complications...

Good luck.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    There are several of us on here who have PCOS. Check out this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/22549-is-anyone-fighting-pcos

PCOS can make losing weight more difficult... but I've been simply watching calories and exercising for the past month and have been doing great. My best advice would be to take as little "artificial" and chemical crap into your body as possible. Exercise and calorie counting really DO work - without anything else to give you a jump start. I eat more protein and less carbs than MFP originally told me to ... but my calories are always within what the site tells me to eat. I eat as little white sugar as possible - I use Stevia to sweeten my tea and coffee and have naturally sweet fruit.

Now - that's not to say that I don't occasionally have a diet coke or even (gasp) an occasional Mountain Dew - (like once since I started this... and it was gooooood!) - but I don't make it a regular thing.

Water, water, water... drink as much as you are physically able to stand. It really does help to flush your system and I've noticed a huge difference in my skin, my energy and my body in general.

Good luck! You can do it!!!
  • sonjavon
    Options
    I have PCOS. I have been doing the basics... loging my calories, staying with my calorie goals and exercising my butt off, and it is working. I eat carbs, but avoid corn, potatoes (and I do miss potatos), peas, green beans, and anything made with white flour. All other veggies are good. I eat low fat and high fiber. High fiber makes you feel full. I also avoid sugar. It took about a week to get over the sugar cravings, with each day a little better than the previous.

I hope your research has shown that PCOS is a warning sign for Type II diabetes. No one told me that until after I was diagnosed with diabetes. Better to take care of yourself now, before diabetes and all the complications...

Good luck.

Why do you stay away from green beans???
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Why do you stay away from green beans???

Because my doctor told me to... She said they are high in starch and I also need to get my triglycerides down. I was surprised by it though. I had never heard it before and ate them all the time.
  • sonjavon
    Options
    I've never heard that ... green beans are actually pretty low in carbohydrates. I'd do some research for yourself and see what you find out... especially if you enjoy them like I do!!!