Vitamins for kids

Options
I have a question.

My daughter does not eat much meat and no beef at all, this is her choice and although I encourage her to try new things, I do not force her to eat meat. Her main source of protein is peanut butter and dairy.

My concern is that she is missing out on vitamins/minerals found in certain meat foods.
I know the most useable sources are through food, but if she won't eat them should I find a supplement (vitamin) that has adequate amounts or those vitamins/minerals? If so, what kind of numbers should I be looking for? Anyone know of any good "multi-vitamins" for kids that are actual quality?

Replies

• FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    I have a question.

My daughter does not eat much meat and no beef at all, this is her choice and although I encourage her to try new things, I do not force her to eat meat. Her main source of protein is peanut butter and dairy.

My concern is that she is missing out on vitamins/minerals found in certain meat foods.
    I know the most useable sources are through food, but if she won't eat them should I find a supplement (vitamin) that has adequate amounts or those vitamins/minerals? If so, what kind of numbers should I be looking for? Anyone know of any good "multi-vitamins" for kids that are actual quality?
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about this, they will know for sure if there's even a need to be concerned. Also, if your daughter eats cereal for breakfast, she's probably getting most of what she needs. Most cereals are fortified with a lot of additional vitamins and minerals. The ones you may need to be concerned about are zinc, iron and B12... those are the ones that come primarily from meat products and are more difficult to get elsewhere.

But also remember that most kids are picky and don't eat a very balanced diet, and they usually turn out fine.
  • Lillybelle1889
    Lillybelle1889 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My kids are vegetarian and eat no meat at all. I get them vegetarian vitamins from whole foods. I would always recommend vitamins for everyone (especially kids) just to make sure they are getting everything they need. You might also see if your daughter would like some vegetarian meats. I know both of my kids love them. Morningstar and boca have a wide variety of delicious foods to choose from including chick'n nuggets (which my kids love). You can also get tofu or temphe in all sorts of flavors and they can be used in all sorts of things.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    It depends on her age and what foods she is eating in exchange for meat and whether or not she is menstruating yet. If she is old enough, say junior high or older, you should ask her to keep a log and then look it over with her and discuss what she may need to do. You should also talk to her doc.

My daughter is in jr. high and it is part of the PE program for kids to keep food journals and exercise logs as well as create workouts for their own bodies based off of the informtion provided by the PE teachers. This has helped my daughter a great deal. She has never had and hopefully never will have a weight problem because she is learning the tools now to help her stay healthy. After reviewing her fod and exercise and talking to her doc at her last checkup along with family medical history she did recommend a daily multi vitamin for her and she takes it every night....she's better at it than me :noway:
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    Ummmm... she's 6.

Both great suggestions.
    I'll talk to her doc to see if I should be worried... she does take an over the counter vitamin, I just want to make sure she's taking a really good one.

She'll eat a little meat, chicken nuggets, pepperonis and hot dogs- all beef kosher ones only though...go fig(on RARE occasions). Other then that... nothin. I've tried. She's really into "clean" foods. She sits in grandpa's garden and eats the veggies off the vine practically. I may give the vegetarian meats a try.

She is excited for school lunch next year... which worries me a little since she is so picky...

Side note: I just found out that her "babysitter/day care provider" hasn't been feeding her! She's been too busy running around (shopping, appointments, etc)! My kiddo came home the other day and said she was starving... I was like, what did you eat all day.... "An apple." THAT'S IT! I am ticked off! I can't exactly fire her cause I have a month and a half left of school.... but dang it... my tiny NEEDS to eat. She's barely at weight as it is! :explode: