Hello everyone! This is new for me, let's be weight loss b

Options
Hi everyone! My name is Maggie! I am 26, and a full time military wife and mother to a wild and life-loving 2 year old boy.

I am prior service military and a veteran. While I was healthy and could always pass the physical requirements that were expected of me in the Army, I had always struggled with keeping my weight in check, but I really got behind when I had my son back in 2009. I wasn't prepared to gain all the weight that I did. With the stress and pressure from my fellow soldiers and leaders, as well as being so far away from home, I ended up gaining another 20 pounds on top of the pregnancy weight. It was a very dark time in my life, and I decided to let my contract with the Army expire. So I became a stay at home mom.

Since leaving the Military 15 months ago, I have only managed to lose the extra 20 pounds, and I am now, 2 years later, back to my AFTER giving birth weight. I still need to lose another 40 pounds to be at my pre-pregnancy weight, I would love to lose another 20 pounds after that, but for now, I'm focusing on the first 40. It's been hard on my own and I have hit a plateau. All of my friends are skinny and fit. It makes me feel like an outcast, and just makes it harder on me.

I could really use some friends who know how I feel, and that we can work together to reach our goals. So what do you say?? LET'S DO IT!

Replies

• mecasgirl
    Options
    Hello Maggie,

I feel ya. I too am a vet and a military wife. I must say that it is hard journey and I let myself go after having 2 kids and depression from the requent deployments my husband did. At my heaviest I was 238 pounds and I have managed to get down to 160. I still have 13 pounds to get back into Marine Corps standards. That is my 1st goal. My final goal is to be 130, that is where I was when I met my husband 13 almost 14 years ago. Now I must take it slowly and try to get back to where I was. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. I can use as much support as possible.

Shawn
  • macylane4
    Options
    Just always remember it is going to be a life long change. Your family will have to change their eating habits to help support you! I know that with kids it gets harder, but he is young enough you can start introducing healthy foods, and he isn't too familiar with all the junk foods! I don't look back at the past and miss any of my old habits. Everyday I count my calories, and think about everything I put into my mouth. I haven't had a craving since I started my weight loss journey in July. I still eat very good, just not whole stuffed crust pizzas, or when we go out I order a bowl of soup, or have my meals modified! I only exercise about 3 times per week, and still am losing my 2 pounds a week! When you make up your mind to do it it will be easy for you! Trust me it isn't as hard as you think...it's making up your mind to change your life which is very hard! I've been procrastinating for 8 years! I let myself gain 230lbs...I started at a lean 120! I only think about the future now, and how great I'm going to feel and look when I get there! You can do it, and anybody that loves you will support you 100%!! Best advice to you...JUST SAY NO!!! (food is evil most of the time if you don't make it yourself!!)
    Good luck, and keep logging! MFP saves lives everyday!!!
  • evselc
    evselc Posts: 15
    Options
    My son is in the Army and in Afghanistan now. His being there has been causing me so much stress I have gained 10 lbs : ( I know it's not alot but I am also a fitness professional and feel like I should never have let this happen! Thanks to both you and your husband for your service. I feel confident with your level of commitment and discipline you can lose this weight!!!
  • agkg2004
    agkg2004 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm a military wife and stay at home mom of 3 little rambunctious children! I am on a mission to get my body back after 3 kids. I am aiming for 20 pounds. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Maggiebeth14
    Maggiebeth14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • Krshannon1128
    Krshannon1128 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am also 26, and a mother of three. I know its difficult to get back in shape but trust me... its possible! I just had my third in Aug 2011 and before this baby I reached my goals I had been trying to reach for 8yrs! It takes courage, motivation and a great support group. Best of luck!
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I too am a vet and wife of a Marine. I have one child who is a year old and I am just now back to my pre-pregnancy weight and still have a ways to go. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like! :)