God my back hurts!!!

Options
I started on MFP about 2 weeks ago I started walking around the same time I only walk about 2 miles every other day because it kills my back to walk. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help with it so I can walk longer and more often. I do take Aleve and tylenol before I start walking but it really doesn't help at all.

Replies

• KITTYKITTYBUTTER
    Options
    I started on MFP about 2 weeks ago I started walking around the same time I only walk about 2 miles every other day because it kills my back to walk. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help with it so I can walk longer and more often. I do take Aleve and tylenol before I start walking but it really doesn't help at all.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Try seeing a doctor. Or maybe a chiropracter.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Maybe do some lower impact activities until you feel able to walk more. Can you go to the local Y pool and swim? Or ride a stationary reclining bike?
  • DEBINH
    DEBINH Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have had severe back pain issues for many many years. The exercises I am doing now are helping my back pain. I am doing a walk video at home (less impact) by Leslie Sansone. The one I have is 1, 2 and 3 miles, so you can gradually increase as you feel stronger. Then once you master the in home walking you could probably start walking outdoors with less pain.

Good Luck!:smile:
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    I have some back injuries and I would definitely suggest seeing someone for the pain. Walking shouldn't hurt. They have back surgery patients up and walking the same day.

You are probably going to need to strengthen your core. I started really concentrating on that area after my hip surgery and I see a huge difference in how my back feels.

Ask your doctor if he would refer you to a physical therapist and they will give you the exercises you need to be doing.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    OK, I realize my response was short. I am in a bit of a funk and didn't mean any disrespect. But, I too have had back pain and thought I just needed to suck it up. But, it just wouldn't go away... until I saw a chiropractor. Fortunately, my insurance covered most of it. I did treatments for about 4 weeks total, but the pain was reduced after just the first treatment and totally gone after about 3 or 4 treatments.

That said, I would always consider going to my PCP first. If there is nothing they can do, but not a ruptured disk or something like that, then try the chiropractor.

I also agree that lower impact activities are a good idea to keep exercising, but minimize pain.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Try seeing a doctor. Or maybe a chiropracter.

Find a Bowen therapist in your area.
  • KITTYKITTYBUTTER
    Options
    Thank you everyone like azwildcatfan just said I have been sucking it up and thinking if I just keep walking it will get better, but guess I'll be seeing my dr really soon and see what he can suggest. Once again thank you it's nice to know I'm not the only one with problems like this:flowerforyou:
  • JaneAusten
    JaneAusten Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I also have back problems and I find that walking on asphalt or concrete is about the worst thing you can do. Do you have any possiblity to walk on dirt or grass? I also find that an elliptical trainer is easy on back and all joints.