Looking for ADVICE

Options
Hey everyone im 30 years old and I have used MFP in the past. I have tried many diets to lose weight but I havent stuck long enough to see results. I am hoping that this time on MFP will give me results that I am looking for. Any support, friends and advice is what Im looking for from people who can relate to my situation.

Add if you want.

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    I have been up and down with my weight my whole life! Tried "dieting" but it never worked. This time around I decided to think of getting healthy as a life style change rather than a diet. Perhaps a play on semantics? But so far it seems to be working!
    As for MFP, I love it! Came to the site after reading somewhere that people who log what they eat every day have a much higher success rate in losing and keeping off weight.
    To date I am down around 70 lbs from my heaviest.
    Lots of luck!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree with looking at this as a lifestyle change! There is no point in dieting and going back to your old ways! I have a friend who over the course of knowing here these last 3 years has gone on the Atkins diet several times. I finally said what's the point in it? How many times are you going to have to do it? Why not just change the way you eat permanently?

so here's my advice....
    Don't look at this as a diet, this is a lifestyle change!
    Measure out your portions, always!
    Drink water!!
    Exercise!!
    Eat back some or all those exercise calories!
    And most importantly care enough about yourself to do this!!
  • bigstackted
    Options
    These folks have it right. You must change your lifestyle to see real, lasting changes. Eating healthy is not a temporary switch. No since in my parroting the good advice already given except to say I agree.
    I wish you the best of luck. There is no doubt you can do it if you committ and committ and committ. Keep going back. Failure is an opportunity to get better.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Failure is an opportunity to get better.

Love that!!!
  • khotch1
    khotch1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bingo on everyone here!

Any "diet" works as long as you follow it but normally you're not '"changing" your real eating patterns that you can live with for the rest of your life! Get moving physically and start making really healthy choices. Of course to get down weight you need to track what you're eating but if you're eating good healthy food you won't be hungry and you'll be doing your body a BIG favor!!!

Don't set yourself up for failure:
    Don't skip meals
    Snack in-between
    dont' skip GOOD fats in moderation
    These are things your body needs to keep going and repairing itself!

Good luck to you!
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Drink water!!
    Exercise!!

Exactly! ...and it works!
  • Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree with looking at this as a lifestyle change! There is no point in dieting and going back to your old ways! I have a friend who over the course of knowing here these last 3 years has gone on the Atkins diet several times. I finally said what's the point in it? How many times are you going to have to do it? Why not just change the way you eat permanently?

so here's my advice....
    Drink water!!
    Exercise!!

LIKE and Ditto!
  • djdelano
    Options
    An honest, accurate, and easily visible recording of all your food

IS INCREDIBLY POWERFUL.

I have run into so many roadblock prior to this system.

When I saw that I had to run for 15 minutes to offset one dunkin donuts coffee, that was the beginning.

Having this app on my phone has been the greatest thing and has helped me FINALLY break through the 200 barrier!!

(i probably won't stay under 200 for another week)

But, I havent been successful until using this tool

D.
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    I understand the up and down, on and off thing. I've been that way my whole life until NOW. Absolutely you can't look at this as a "diet." This is YOUR LIFE. Failure is NOT an option. If you have a bad meal, don't let it turn into a bad DAY. If you have a bad DAY, don't let it turn into a bad WEEK. If you have a bad week, don't let it turn into a bad MONTH. And if you have a bad month, don't let it turn into a bad YEAR!!! I think what often happens is we get off track and then it SNOWBALLS and then we've gained 15, 20, 30 pounds. This is a marathon, not a sprint. It took you a lifetime of bad choices to get where you are TODAY. It will take another LIFETIME of GOOD choices to get where you want to be!! So look at it as that - a LIFETIME. And look at what you HAVE to do in this life to set you up for SUCCESS and not FAILURE. This will effect everything - the type of people you are around, the way you shop at the grocery store, deciding not to eat fast food, going to the gym, etc. You can do this!! We have your back!!
  • kellyjamespro
    kellyjamespro Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I understand the up and down, on and off thing. I've been that way my whole life until NOW. Absolutely you can't look at this as a "diet." This is YOUR LIFE. Failure is NOT an option. If you have a bad meal, don't let it turn into a bad DAY. If you have a bad DAY, don't let it turn into a bad WEEK. If you have a bad week, don't let it turn into a bad MONTH. And if you have a bad month, don't let it turn into a bad YEAR!!! I think what often happens is we get off track and then it SNOWBALLS and then we've gained 15, 20, 30 pounds. This is a marathon, not a sprint. It took you a lifetime of bad choices to get where you are TODAY. It will take another LIFETIME of GOOD choices to get where you want to be!! So look at it as that - a LIFETIME. And look at what you HAVE to do in this life to set you up for SUCCESS and not FAILURE. This will effect everything - the type of people you are around, the way you shop at the grocery store, deciding not to eat fast food, going to the gym, etc. You can do this!! We have your back!!
    '

THIS IS HONESTLY THE BEST POST I HAVE SEEN SO FAR ON MFP! I AM FRAMING THIS AND PUTTING IT ON MY WALL! WOW! THIS GREAT ADVICE!
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Couldn't have said it better myself :)