Almost goal,Tummy Tuck in Jan...Success but scared :( *Pics*

Options

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I have had a tummy tuck after giving birth 4 times and my tummy looked like yours but with a bit more skin, I could literally pull it down over my pubic area...if you haven't had any kids you will ruin it. The skin is stretched pretty taut for the tuck and when you get pregnant it will stretch out again and most likely rupture the sutures. I will tell you I had another baby after the tuck (she was a big surprise) and my tummy tuck held. BUT, it was so tight and just uncomfortable. By the end if I sneezed I know I would have ruptured the sutures...needless to say, I tied my tubes immediately during the c-section I had to have.

Anyway, with the tuck, my belly button does look odd to me, the scar is severe and because I didn't have much loose skin at the top of my tummy the belly button hole had to be sutured, BUT, I STILL LOVE THE results. It was well worth it.

Oh the scar is below your bikini line so no one but you will see it...or loved one of course...

I don't know knowing what I know...I really would tell you to wait until you have had babies before doing the tuck. IT IS SO VERY PAINFUL...would I do it again, yes I would in a minute, but I thank God I don't have too. My skin is a little stretched again, but nothing like before...

Here is my tummy, after this last baby, I still had about 10 pounds to loose here

2011-10-01092121.jpg

I was a little smaller in this picm maybe 7lbs to lose

2011-11-04214313.jpg

You may get lucky and only need a mini tuck to repair the sutures on the bottom and remove the excess skin. I will tell you though, you really must watch your weight and eat good and exercise during the pregnancy...that is the reason I didn't completely kill my tuck...my british dr stayed on top of me, he is happy if you gain 10lbs during a pregnancy as long as you are eating good and exercising he says you don't have to gain much at all and have a healthy baby.

Oh I would add, I LOVE MY TUMMY, even with the scar and the belly button the difference in how it looks and your clothes is tremendous. The scar is nothing in comparison to the wrinkles, the fat, the skin...it was disgusting looking to me...after the surgery...OMG what a difference, it was flat the skin was tight and it was just awesome. Every bit of the PAIN and walking hunched over and the pain from your back because you can't use your tummy muscles was worth it. Please note, there is tremendous pain, pain like I had never in my life experienced before, but the results were still worth it.

Yes I read another comment about checking the dr's background...please do...this surgery is serious. I researched tons of doctors before getting mine done. Oh man, right before my surgery date Kanye West mother died and I almost didn't go through with it. She died having the same procedures. Oh another thing, make sure the dr has you stay overnight after the surgery either at a surgery medical facility or hospital. If he says he is going to send you home that same day FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR!!! That is sooo important, you need that pain control pump after. I stayed in the hospital at an extra charge of $500 and was so glad I did. He normally has his patients stay at a facility that does the same thing except I repaired a hernia at the same time, so I just did it all together and stayed in the hospital.

Well, I could go on and on, if you need a tummy tuck friend, or have questions don't hesitate to friend me.
  • muddertrucker3
    muddertrucker3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey, I completely understand. Ive got about 30lbs more to lose, and when I do, I am having a tummy tuck. Mine is much worse than yours but ive also got 3 children. One of my pregnancys was twins so my tummy is reallllly bad. I am all for making yourself feel better and I have seen the weird looking belly buttons and crooked scars but the goal is to get rid of the skin, and with a tummy tuck you will! If you've got stretch marks from not having any kids you will FOR SURE get them in your pregnancys. Just an fyi! I would wait if i were you, eventhough it sucks, you will most likely completly ruin your surgery results with a pregnancy. Good luck !
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I would check out some other options first, if you haven't already. I would talk to a personal trainer to see how possible s/he thinks it is to work on your abdominal area. I would definitely reach my goal weight first. If I were contemplating the surgery, I would want to have met my goal and maintained for 6 months to a year. Here's why: as much as people don't want to admit it, everyone here is just a bowl of ice cream away from relapsing and gaining weight back. Most people that lose weight *do* gain it back. I would rather save my money until I know for sure that I can maintain my weight, or else I've wasted $5,000.

I think you should do it if it makes you happy. Personally, for me, I would be terrified about the agonizing pain of recovery. I don't think vanity is worth that, personally - I'd just buy shapewear.
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Do what you want, of course, but I agree with the suggestions to wait until after you've had children. I also just wanted to mention that I've seen comments in here about stretch marks, and people saying the using moisturizers and massage will prevent them or make them go away, and that is just outright untrue. Pregnancy stretchmarks are, in large part, genetic so if your mom got them, you probably will too, and no amount of lotion or massage will keep them from happening or make them go away after you've had your baby. Like other scars, they will fade over time, but they really don't ever go away.
  • nacs246
    nacs246 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would look at something called "COOL SCULPTING" It's a laser type treatment:) Totally non invasive and may just do what you want without the trauma and discomfort of the SUrgery!!
    If you suffer with Keloids( Scar tissue) it's probably hereditary and you will always have a problem with scarring so try and avoid the invasive methods of repair.
    All the best I Hope you will be happy with which ever way you choose.
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    To posters saying to wait to have children...i understand where you are coming from but i dont plan on having kids for 5-8 years...and the thought of living with a body im uncomfortable in for that much longer is not something i want for myself.

I realize there is still some fat in my belly too, but a part of it is just skin that will not go away even if i got down to 100 pounds.

Im a bit suprised at all the not-so-positive reactions....but i respect everyones honesty <3

EDIT: Side note,my surgeon was voted one of the top 10 in the nation by US news and is highly respected in his field, hes going to use sutures that dissolve so my muscles can stretch if i get pregnant, he also states that the tuck can be repaired after children if needed. (yes i know hes pretty likely to say what i want to hear, but i have seen revised tucks as well)

I was just about to say what if she wants to wait or does NOT want children. I am 33 with the same problem. After I lose about 25 more pounds I will probably do the same. My skin has been stretched for the past 20 years due to my weight fluctuations. I can literally fold my pouch. People need to understand everyone's body is different and does not bounce back the same.
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I was in the same situation. Not with a tumy tuck but with breast implants. I knew they would get a bit messed up after a kid and breast feeding but I don't plan on kids for at least 5-10 years so why hate my body when I can be enjoying it!? I got them over three months ago and very happy I did (:
  • Mickyboo1
    Options
    You know the costs and you have done your homework- you are prepared to have a revision after kids. Go for it. Now my comment on waiting till after surgery is this- I have huge breasts- i have done since puberty- even when I was at my ideal weight. At a few rare times this has seemed like a good thing- but mostly it has seemed like a bad thing- it actually stopped me from being as active as I was growing up and i could go on and on. I thought about a breast reduction in my mid 20s when i met someone who had had one, but i thought i would wait till after kids. Now i am in my mid 30s, i still have no kids and i have carted the things around an extra 10 years. So I am thinking about cutting my loses and doing it now even b4 kids. There is another angle for you- perhaps an encouragement to you. But one last thing, just by the way- You look good anyway.

I had a breast reduction Jan 2009. I was 38 yrs old. I wish I had done it a long time ago...LOL I lost 10 lbs and 7 inches..Haha
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    I just had a conversation with my doctor yesterday about similar feelings. He told me it was time to stop trying to lose more weight and focus on learning to love and be content with the body I have. He said that if someone is physically healthy but unhappy with the way they look, losing weight (or having a tummy tuck) will not miraculously make them happy. There's no guarantee that you will like your body once you've had a tummy tuck. Spend some time learning to love the body you have ... not criticizing it ... not comparing yourself to other people ... just loving your body as it is. I wish it was easy because I'm under doctor's orders to do it!
    Best thing I've read all day!! Well said. What will you hate in 3 months when the euphoria has worn off? what will you have "fixed" then. The advice on waiting for kids is pretty sound advice. ask any mom willing to show you what it does, not everyone is blessed with perfect rebound belly, many get way worse than what you have now. Its your body, and your money, but is it your happiness?
  • maceycarey
    maceycarey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    get it if you need it... but i challenge you to do julian michaels six week six pack before you go in to surgery its about ten bucks at walmart... start it now so you can finish it before and if that dosent help then get it done but if it helps then get it done... if you had more money i would say get the isanity dvd ive seen amazing results with that dvd on womens skin thats a bit streched out like mine... good luck
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I just had a conversation with my doctor yesterday about similar feelings. He told me it was time to stop trying to lose more weight and focus on learning to love and be content with the body I have. He said that if someone is physically healthy but unhappy with the way they look, losing weight (or having a tummy tuck) will not miraculously make them happy. There's no guarantee that you will like your body once you've had a tummy tuck. Spend some time learning to love the body you have ... not criticizing it ... not comparing yourself to other people ... just loving your body as it is. I wish it was easy because I'm under doctor's orders to do it!
    Best thing I've read all day!! Well said. What will you hate in 3 months when the euphoria has worn off? what will you have "fixed" then. The advice on waiting for kids is pretty sound advice. ask any mom willing to show you what it does, not everyone is blessed with perfect rebound belly, many get way worse than what you have now. Its your body, and your money, but is it your happiness?

I always believe a person should do whatever will make them happy...when you are dragging around all that skin and workout hard after having babies I can see feeling the need to get rid of it. If I were that young and never had kids I can also understand wanting to be rid of it as well. If there are emotional issues relating to body image and low-self esteem, they should be dealt with, either in conjunction with the changes or prior to. I didn't have that issue before the babies and maybe I would have had a tuck prior to if I did. I know how I felt about myself prior to and let me tell you the Euphoria has NEVER WORN OFF. If you feel anywhere like I how felt about looking in the mirror at it, I so understand and encourage you to do what you feel will make YOU feel happy. Again, as long as you are willing to repair the damage after babies...you are good to go:-)
  • juma4474
    juma4474 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 children, went from my highest weight at 258lbs to my current weight of 135lbs, and have had a tummy tuck. In my opinion I know how frustrating it can be to feel like you have worked so hard to loose the weight and you want to feel so good about yourself and then you look at your stomach and you just can't. I had a little bit more skin than you: for referance if I was on all 4's my stomach skin would almost touch the bed. But I know I am prone to stretch marks, I had them before I had children and got them even worse after I had kids, and I would never want to waste the time of recovering and money on a tummy tuck and then have it wasted on a pregnancy.

I love my children more than anything but I would be devastated if I found out I were preganant after having my Tummy Tuck. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures, I'm at work right now. But if you want to know anything more, just message me. I know what you are going through emotionally.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    You know what you want and are prepared for it. While I would recommend waiting until after children you have the right to love your body before then,

I'm actually thinking of getting one done when I'm done with my journey due to being incredibly large with both of my pregnancies (more than 50" around about 2 weeks before my daughter was born).

Good luck in making your decision!!!
  • judykritikos
    Options
    Well, I'm going to be the lone voice here...I say yes, go for it. You joined in 2010 - and if it's taken you over a year to lose that much weight - you're at 125, and that's a GREAT weight. I doubt you're going to lose another 30 lbs. Yes, we all have that muffin top - but it's because I still need to lose 15 more lbs. If you're at your weight -from seeing your pictures where you're grabbing the skin - that's not a muffin, that's left over skin.
    Sure, you could wait and have kids and then do it, and my thoughts were - but how will I meet a man and feel comfortable with this skin. Sure we can say beauty is skin keep, yet when you're with someone initially, you want to look the best you can. You've lost all the weight and you're left with the excess baggage. You've done the hard work, and if you've kept it off, you certainly deserve to let yourself take that last step.
    As to the Dr - check to see his medical record and complaints. Check with the BBB, ask for patient referrals. Find out how many of these he's done. Tell his office manager you'd like to speak to 1-2 of his clients. I know about confidentiality - however, there has to be a few ppl who are SO HAPPY w/ his work, they are more than willing to share their success with you. If they won't - then I'd be a little weary of the Dr. Also - if you've "shopped" around and this is the cheapest guy - do NOT go with him. He's the cheapest for a reason. If you're getting lazik on your eye - do you want the cheapest or the best?
    Just my opinion. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Judy
  • blue4myeyes
    blue4myeyes Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    To posters saying to wait to have children...i understand where you are coming from but i dont plan on having kids for 5-8 years...and the thought of living with a body im uncomfortable in for that much longer is not something i want for myself.

I realize there is still some fat in my belly too, but a part of it is just skin that will not go away even if i got down to 100 pounds.

Im a bit suprised at all the not-so-positive reactions....but i respect everyones honesty <3

EDIT: Side note,my surgeon was voted one of the top 10 in the nation by US news and is highly respected in his field, hes going to use sutures that dissolve so my muscles can stretch if i get pregnant, he also states that the tuck can be repaired after children if needed. (yes i know hes pretty likely to say what i want to hear, but i have seen revised tucks as well)

i don't think you should, either. people do all kinds of things to make themselves feel good, and i think you should go for it. plus like one poster said, after children your prioroties, as well as financial situation, will likely change.

i think surgery of any kind should make you a little scared....but seeing as how you have researched what you want, and have found a reputable doctor....who cares what anyone here thinks :) good luck with everything -- can't wait to see your "after" pictures!!
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    You know the costs and you have done your homework- you are prepared to have a revision after kids. Go for it. Now my comment on waiting till after surgery is this- I have huge breasts- i have done since puberty- even when I was at my ideal weight. At a few rare times this has seemed like a good thing- but mostly it has seemed like a bad thing- it actually stopped me from being as active as I was growing up and i could go on and on. I thought about a breast reduction in my mid 20s when i met someone who had had one, but i thought i would wait till after kids. Now i am in my mid 30s, i still have no kids and i have carted the things around an extra 10 years. So I am thinking about cutting my loses and doing it now even b4 kids. There is another angle for you- perhaps an encouragement to you. But one last thing, just by the way- You look good anyway.

I had a breast reduction Jan 2009. I was 38 yrs old. I wish I had done it a long time ago...LOL I lost 10 lbs and 7 inches..Haha

I can't wait to have a breast reduction!!! 38/40 DDD on a 5'4" frame is just not good and causes so many problems. Just waiting til I lose weight because I probably have a case for it to be medically covered with my back problems!!!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I know you'll love your results!!!
  • Mickyboo1
    Options

I can't wait to have a breast reduction!!! 38/40 DDD on a 5'4" frame is just not good and causes so many problems. Just waiting til I lose weight because I probably have a case for it to be medically covered with my back problems!!!

My DR didnt have me lose any weight. She wrote a note that she highly recommended the surgery. So, My insurance paid for it. = ) I am also 5'4" short...LOL I shoved my breasts into a 48 DDD. That wasnt my actual size.
  • ajlarz
    ajlarz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the comments so I apologize if I re-state something that's already been said...I say GO FOR IT! Reason I say that- when I was 22 I decided to have a breast reduction, EVERYONE (except my mom and husband) said to wait until I'm done having kids becuase kids will make my boobs big again. I didn't listen to them because I had to do what was best for me...now I have a 5 month old and guess what...my boobs are just as they were post-surgery! =) I have never for one second of my life regretted getting the reduction, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made!
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    [Dont live your life waiting till you have kids - you will never have any spare money once you have kids (lol)

^^agree
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!