Filling Long Lasting Vegetarian Lunch??

Options
I have been at a complete loss as for what to eat for lunch. I'm vegetarian and it has to be something that will stay good from 6:45 when I make it and 11:45 when I eat it. I'd also prefer that it's pretty low calorie because I prefer to have a big lunch/dinner and a small lunch, plus snacks. Thanks

Replies

• sonotphat
    Options
    I make a really yummy salad with tofu. I get Soyco tofu (Malaysian Peanut Satay is my favourite) and cut it up into tiny cubes (i only use about 100gms), shred some ice burg lettuce, have lots of carrot in there (i've started grating my carrots, which is particularly nice) and sometimes I throw in some cannelli beans and have it with an apple cider vinegar, light soy and sesame oil dressing. It's really easy to prepare, it stays nice for a while and I think it's around 170 calories.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have a peanut butter and jelly for lunch... just the sammich, and it sticks with me for hours.. I don't get hungry again until about 4:30ish, just in time for a snack!
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    hummus, very nutritious very delicious. use bell peppers, baby carrots and celery to dip into it instead of pita bread, its gooood. I recommend red bells to be honest;) delicious!:)

ronney
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Baked potato filled with vegetarian chili and salsa
  • Samantha1941
    Samantha1941 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Veggie sandwich. I like mine on a pita sandwich or flat pita with romaine lettuce, red and green bellpeppers, cucumbers, and hummus. Yum! If you have access to a microwave you can have.some vegetarian chili with a salad. I also love Amy's baked ziti, its so good.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Make a yummy quinoa salad, quinoa is a massive source of protein which will fill you up. This will also keep without going bad. This recipe is BIG and low cal- it will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. (2 servings)

1 cup cooked quinoa, with 2 tsp of sundried tomato paste stirred through (Or any other flavoursome paste like pesto, harissa, curry, chilli)
    1 cup roasted butternut squash cubes
    2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese (or veggie alternative)
    10 black olives, halved
    2 cups mixed lettuce/salad leaves
    10 cherry tomatoes, halved
    fresh mint & coriander (cilantro)- optional but yummy!
    1 cup cucumber cubes
  • clur85
    clur85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yummy! Bump!:flowerforyou:
    Slainte!
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    I have a pita with 1/2 cup of kidney beans, 1 oz. feta cheese, salsa fresca, and sometimes 2 tbsp of guacamole. It's about 320 calories. Another variation is to put in cucumbers and use balasmic vinegar as a dressing. (If you're taking this to work either leave out the guacamole or much sure to squeese lemon juice over it.)

Oh, and I use bento containers for the beans, feta cheese, and salsa fresca so it doesn't make the pita bread soggy.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian, but I do like to eat a veggie only meal once or twice a day.

My most filling is a lunch that includes shiritaki noodles!

Just combine shiritaki noodles with the veggies of your choice (usually bean sprouts and spinach for me) and create a sauce for it (usually some combo of hoisin sauce, siracha paste, and low sodium ketchup for me). You're almost guaranteed a 200 cal meal that will keep you full for hours and hours!
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am a planner, so I usually make food in bulk so that it will last me all week long. I am also a big fan of having a small thermos that will keep soups warm for a long time.

Sometimes I make a salad so that I can prepare a salad wrap the night before. This consists of a roll up filled with hummus, tofu, avocado and whatever else is in the salad. I keep the dressing on the side so that the wrap doesn't get soggy.

This week I made roasted root veggies and added them to Veganomicon's French Lentil Soup. If you heat this up in the morning and put it in a thermos, it will keep warm in time for lunch.

Last week, I made cold sesame noodles with roasted brussel sprouts. There was no need to even heat anything up!

If I'm on the run, I like a peanut butter and banana sandwich. This is super filling and yummy. If you're not vegan, I suggest slapping some honey on the bread.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomato on toast, with veganaise...

Raw almond butter and celery...

Baked tofu and a side of cut up veggies...

Thermos of hot refried (vegan, fat free) beans and a couple of whole grain tortillas
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you have time to cook your food ahead of time I love to take leftover lentil soup for lunch. Its very filling! This is the recipe I use ... http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lentil-soup/detail.aspx

If you can't cook ahead of time and take leftover or if you don't have a microwave I really love these sandwiches and wraps:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/the-best-veggie-sandwich/detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/school-lunch-bagel-sandwich/detail.aspx

These sweet potato burritos are excellent for making ahead of time and freezing: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/addictive-sweet-potato-burritos/detail.aspx

As well as these Make Ahead Wraps: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/make-ahead-lunch-wraps/detail.aspx
  • shannonewallace
    shannonewallace Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    you should try Bentos! this site has tons of ideas http://justbento.com/ and theres lots of different combos that you can make depending on what you feel you need!