For all of you looking for motivation

Options
[disclaimer] This is not going to nice and fluffy and sugar coated. If you're one of those "why can't we all just support each other and be positive" people, you may not like what I'm about to say. [/disclaimer]

I keep seeing these threads about people needing motivation... people looking for friends to keep them motivated. If your health and happiness aren't motivation enough, is a cheering section really going to help? Don't get me wrong... I love the interaction of my friends, but if you can't fit through a doorway, is a friend writing a cute, fluffy saying on your profile really going to make much difference?

Now, I do understand the need/benefit of tools like the food diary. And I'm very familiar with how a competition/challenge can spur you on. But at the end of the day if you're not doing it for yourself... if you're own health and happiness aren't enough to get you out of McDonalds, away from the fridge, or off the couch, do you honestly think you're going to see long term success?

If you're struggling with motivation, I suggest you sit down and spend some quality time with yourself... because ultimately that motivation HAS to come from within.

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    well said.
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    :D
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I likes it.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I agree...no matter how great of a friend or family member...they aren't 100% reliable. They can help fill in the gaps though. It is imperative to find it within yourself to be happy.
  • gdb86
    gdb86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that it has to come from within, but on the flipside I don't think that optimism and motivational "tactics" if you will are harmful at all in the process. And for some, (sometimes myself included) that extra oomph can really help!

Ultimately though, you are totally right. MFP can be used as a support, but it has to be an inner strength that gets you where you need to go. You have to want it and be dedicated to your health to make it happen. I appreciate your helpful bluntness! Sometimes that's a rarity on here and it's super refreshing to see! :)
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Intrinsic motivation is a beautiful thing.
  • mary_kate23
    Options
    amen!
  • Krshannon1128
    Krshannon1128 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hear ya and I agree. I also think that these people need more of a support group than motivation, they just have to find the motivation first! :)
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    very true!!
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    True... Thx for the reminder!
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    You either want it or you don't. No one is making you eat the cookies or ice cream or have a cocktail....worst thing for me is seeing someone say they ate cookies then two days later comain about the scales....it's all up to you!
  • helloburger
    helloburger Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    i agree with your disclaimer. i dont like what youve said. i dont think this needed a whole post deciated to complaining about these kinds of people.

i believe its up to me to motivate myself, but encouragement from online friends helpsnyoubstay on track for people who aremt do health determined... not everyone can be strong without support.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Sitting down and spending quality time with myself is how I got so fat in the first place!

Oh, I guess you didn't mean sit down and entertain myself on the computer, huh?

I get what you're saying, but making this site my homepage and browsing random threads (especially in the Success Stories section) has been known to get me out of my chair. So yeah, other people motivate me. But in the end, it's down to me.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Let me go get my choir to sing behind that sermon! PREACH Brotha! Nicely put....
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    So true. I look at MFP more for information in how to get through the hard times, like plateaus, not for motivational sayings. I will say, looking at before and after photos is a great motivating factor. But, yes, I'm the one doing the work.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    So true.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    i agree with your disclaimer. i dont like what youve said. i dont think this needed a whole post deciated to complaining about these kinds of people.

i believe its up to me to motivate myself, but encouragement from online friends helpsnyoubstay on track for people who aremt do health determined... not everyone can be strong without support.

I read your comment. I dont think it is needed in this awesome thread.

OP: I agree! I see many just starting and asking for motivation. Gotta have it!