Is running enough?

Options
I am starting an 18 week marathon training program, mostly to increase my ability to run distance and maybe increase my speed a bit. Anyhow, I will be running 5 days a week, one lung run, three short runs and one short to start but that will increase as the weeks go on.

So, will all this running be enough to get me thinner and more fit, obviously I know I will lose weight, but should I be doing anything else on top of my running or will that be overkill?

And please, no one tell me to not run so much and that i don't need this much cardio. I love running and I won't be cutting any of it down, especially because I am hoping to do a marathon in March or April.

Replies

• gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I've lost 23lbs in 43 days with running and eating net 1220 calories with 4 bad cheat days - and I just ran 10.2 miles a couple days ago for the first time in my LIFE! If you're goal is distance don't lift - sure you may not look like what the bodybuilders consider to be healthy but you'll still lose a ton of weight....
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Strength training would always be good to gain some more muscle. Also some interval training may be beneficial to burn more fat and help increase your cardio endurance.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    When we lose weight, we lose both muscle and fat. A lot of cardio will burn muscle. Strength training and diet help preserve muscle. I would add in some strength training to the mix. It doesn't have to be a ton. It will help you lose weight, preserve muscle, and will help strengthen the muscles you need for running which can decrease injury. You can even google weight workouts for runners.

You could also think about adding in some cross training which can decrease the chance of getting injured as well.

ETA - many distance runners incorporate weight training in their program. It IS beneficial.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I sure won't tell you that you're doing too much! I'm a runner too, and just completed my first half marathon. The only thing I see your plan lacking is at least one strength day. It really is important to get a muscle day or two in there, it really helps with endurance. If I were you, I'd incorporate one strength day of legs and upper body to the plan you're doing now. You'll be amazed at the results! Good luck!
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    In my experience (note: I can't cite official research) running alone didn't give me the results I wanted for my goals (physically speaking). I ran my first marathon at the end of this summer - but had been in training since March/Aprilish bc I ran a half in June. After all of that, I looked like my photo on the left in my profile. (Note I didn't cross train)

I did the Higdon novice if you're wondering.

Once I added weight/strength and HIIT training, I started to see the results I physically sought. Interesting is that I ran a 15K in November (hadn't done any real running aside from sprints since the marathon at the end of summer) and my pace actually got faster!

Hope this helps - maybe it worked differently for others!
    (PS - I don't plan to quit running because I love it - I have a full planned for next year. I'm just too big a baby to run in the cold haha)
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    I sure won't tell you that you're doing too much! I'm a runner too, and just completed my first half marathon. The only thing I see your plan lacking is at least one strength day. It really is important to get a muscle day or two in there, it really helps with endurance. If I were you, I'd incorporate one strength day of legs and upper body to the plan you're doing now. You'll be amazed at the results! Good luck!

Ya I don't think the running is too much, and when I first started running I was doing 30DS along with my running, now I would rather focus more on my running, but some strength may be beneficial. I may ad some weight training on my two days off from running, I'm conflicted because of different things I have read from different places. Some saying you don't need to train legs with weights because thats what your running does, and other places saying it will improve your running. So, I'm torn haha
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Running that much should be plenty to lose weight and be fit. If you are going for a specific look then you might need to add some other exercises, depending on what that look is. Running doesn't work the muscles in your arms much, for example, so if you want to tone those muscles you'll likely need to add some arm exercises.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    some will say yes, some will say no. i think a lil strength training would be nice but running is a super workout
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I run a lot (4 half marathons, 4 20Ks, 1 full marathon), but this year was the first time I had done any strength training. Did a one hour a week "power pump" class through the local park and rec. Please consider adding some strength training. This year's half was the first time my back/abs/shoulders/neck, etc. didn't ache as I ran. Took 6 minutes off my time, too. I did my class on a no run day (well, it was supposed to be a no run day---usually made it an easy run day), and I honestly believe my strength gains helped me run better (no poor form at the end) and recover faster.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that your body will adjust/adapt to the constant running, and thus your gains will diminish over time. You'll keep getting faster and gaining endurance (depending on your running), but the calorie burns and weight loss will slow.

I'd throw in a bit of strength training and some yoga to round out the package. That along with a good diet should serve you well and keep you from becoming skinny fat.

• pmich08
    Options
    Keep in mind that your body will adjust/adapt to the constant running, and thus your gains will diminish over time. You'll keep getting faster and gaining endurance (depending on your running), but the calorie burns and weight loss will slow.

I'd throw in a bit of strength training and some yoga to round out the package. That along with a good diet should serve you well.

Ya, I do yoga on my off days, and anytime I have a bad run.
    I noticed once I started doing more yoga it helped me to run more consistent times.
    It looks like some strength training may be the key, now I just need to figure out what/how I am going to do it.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    How you train depends on your individual goals. You're asking if a Sport Specific workout will give you the same results as doing general body conditioning and such. The answer is No.

If your goal is to run a Marathon...then you train to run a marathon. If your goal is to be a better Swimmer...then you train to be a better swimmer.

Periodization is the key. Do one program for one type of result....then move on to the next goal and a program designed for that result. Trying to do them all at once will bring not bring the same results as being 100% focused on a specific goal.

This is applicable to ANY type of training...not just sports and athletes.

Cheers!
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Strength training definitely improved my running.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It will help you lose weight and be more fit, definitely. You might want to throw in a couple short weight training sessions, as well, but you don't absolutely have to.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a noob when it comes to running (less than a year) and the longest distance I've raced was a 10k, but my speed and endurance has increased a LOT since incorporating strength training 2x a week.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I know ppl who run and their lower body is in great shape and they never do legs @ the gym they do upper body weight training instead. I'd say just add some upper body weight training in so you're not neglectin those muscles.
  • Buddhaboy
    Buddhaboy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I believe in doing both running and strength...(mainly core strength exercises)
    I only train 3-5 miles a day, and my longest run was 10 miles
    But less then a year ago I was nearly 100 lbs over weight, so...
    When I started losing enough weight to run a distance...two things became apparent
    1) I if needed take the time to exercise other core muscle groups in addition to running...OR I was going to injure myself
    2) Since I was losing so much weight so quickly, I was sagging, so I need core and weigh lifting exercise to help fill in the sags
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What is/are your goals? If your goal is to run a marathon, and assuming overuse injuries are not a problem, running is enough.

When I trained for and ran my marathon I did not lose weight. It turns out my appetite was more than up to the task of keeping up with my large calorie burns!

I had a back injury in the winter of 2010. My chiropractor recommended I start cross training. I have been primarily lifting since then but I have began gradually increasing my running. I'm leaner and stronger than I've ever been. Of course this is with my hit and miss discipline on the eating side which is 80% of the battle.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm kicking off my marathon training in a couple of weeks after I run my first half and have been a little more diligent in doing weight training. I've actually noticed an improvement in my running doing strength training; I'm by no means bulking up, but I am stronger. At the same time, I throw cardio in with my weights by doing a 15-20 cardio warmup on the spin bike or stair climber and then doing jumping jacks, lunges, or jump ropes in between exercises. It kicks up the fitness level for me as well as the calorie burn. So, yeah...I would include strength training in your regiment.
  • pmich08
    Options
    Well, I don't tend to get overuse injuries, my body handles running well, and even though I am by no means an expert, I am rather new to running, I have been able to increase distance and speed quickly. My body seems to just love running. And my appetite can't keep up with my running so I have been losing weight(until I took a two week vacation and ate and ate and ate and drank like a fish and gained some back)

I'm thinking some sort of upper body training a couple days a week won't hurt and if I notice that it's hindering my running I'll stop and focus just on running.