Working out 3 days a week

Options
Hi

I work out 3 days per week. 3 days cardio mostly dvds or interval training 20-30 mins per time. I also weight/strength train 2 x per week 20mins.
mon -wed-fri
I mix it up with punch bags, jump rope,and ab work etc.
However, I read many posts and it seems like people workout almost daily and much longer than I.

I focus more on weight training, I am 5"3 and 117pounds. I eat 1600-2000 daily.
I need to firm up a bit more, not to worried about the scale, would not mind being 115, but fine with that.I eat pretty healthy.

My question is...Should I be working out more? It seems everyone works out daily.
I do walk my dog most days . I have been at this weight since June, and mainted.
Would like your thoughts..Is 3 days enough? or should the weights be more?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    3x per week is plenty. Most people working out every day aren't putting 100% into their workouts.

Hit it hard, rest and recover.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Thanks- That I can and do..
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    3x per week is plenty. Most people working out every day aren't putting 100% into their workouts.

Uh...no, that would not be true. I work out with a group of women that give 110% 6 days per week and I bet they'd run circles around you even on Friday. Even the 68 year old.

Working out 3 days is awesome and definitely way better than no days. However, most of the guidelines I have been reading reccomend 45-60 minutes of INTENSE exercise 5-6 days per week for the best results--that is as far as, calorie and fat burn, cholesterol lowering, age reversing, good sleep, etc.....
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Uh...no, that would not be true. I work out with a group of women that give 110% 6 days per week and I bet they'd run circles around you even on Friday. Even the 68 year old.

LOL, wow. I considered responding with macho platitudes but I'll pass.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, 3 days a week is fine but anything less is not good enough. i am currently doing 4 days a week though this week unfortunately due to a busy schedule, i was only able to do 2 days so i am very disappointed. my goal is to lose another 6-10 lbs and reduce my workout to 3 days per week when i reach maintenance.
  • RhondaRowsell
    RhondaRowsell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It also depends on what kind of results you are looking for. I need to lose 80 lbs , so I work out 7 days a week. You don't need to lose any and are looking for definition, 3 days a week makes sense.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    For goodness' sake...if you can get it in at ALL in this day and age, that's an accomplishment in and of itself.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    It also depends on what kind of results you are looking for. I need to lose 80 lbs , so I work out 7 days a week. You don't need to lose any and are looking for definition, 3 days a week makes sense.

I agree. It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. And what you can commit to.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

Look at him, seems like he is in pretty good shape...your comment is pretty presumptuous. He didn't say every single person that works out everyday is half assing it, some people do some people don't. Props to you for working out 6 days a week at 110%.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    Options
    in my opinion, 3 days a week is fine but anything less is not good enough. i am currently doing 4 days a week though this week unfortunately due to a busy schedule, i was only able to do 2 days so i am very disappointed. my goal is to lose another 6-10 lbs and reduce my workout to 3 days per week when i reach maintenance.

Before I lost my weight over 25lbs I was working out more often. Now I just want to maintain and have definition and strength.

I love all the different views and opinions, Thank you for all of them.
    And wish you all greatness on your health and fitness paths.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    Options

Working out 3 days is awesome and definitely way better than no days. However, most of the guidelines I have been reading reccomend 45-60 minutes of INTENSE exercise 5-6 days per week for the best results--that is as far as, calorie and fat burn, cholesterol lowering, age reversing, good sleep, etc.....

Hats off to you and your ladies! Great! I have read about what you mentioned as well, and in part, thats why I posted. I do want some age reversing..lol Thanks 4 comments
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    The government (if you can really trust them) recommend at least 30 minutes of MODERATE (not intense) exercise 5 days a week--so 2.5 hours a week plus strength training 2 -3 times a week. Most people on here are trying to lose large amounts of weight. I work out 4-5 days a week at least 45 minutes a day, if not up to 2 hours or more (and at a moderate to intense level). I have a little less than 40 lbs to my goal and I am not yet at a "healthy" range. I also am training for various events. If I only trained 90 minutes a week I would be a miserable failure.

If you are not including walking your dogs in your work outs of 3x a week, I think you are probably fine. You certainly are fine on the weight range.

Do what works for you!
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I started off working out 3 days a week and saw results. Starting at the beginning of November I bumped it up to 5 days a week and am seeing much more results, especially in my strength. I think every 5-6 weeks I'll take a week to go 70% of my full effort on (I'm guessing I'll need it?) and sort of deload and go lighter on weights? Still figuring it out. Also one of those workouts each week is a team workout, where you split up the workload however you want - great sweat, but I don't feel like I'm pushed AS much as when I have to go at it alone.

I think it depends what you want/like. I ENJOY going 5 days a week, love the community in my gym, feel like I'm noticing more progress in my strength and have FUN at my gym. If I was miserable at 5 days a week I would stick to three. Gotta find a balance that makes you happy!
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

Hey! I work out practically everyday and always give 100%! LOL I wouldn't even bother getting ready to workout if I wasn't going to give 100%.
  • amandavictoria80
    Options

Just gotta say I completely agree with you! Pissed me off to read that comment because I do workout pretty much everyday and I work my butt off! I ALWAYS give my 100%! I wouldn't bother otherwise.
    And I also believe that one needs to work out for 5-6 times a week. Realistically, to be healthy, you're supposed to get at least 30 minutes every single day. So, how would 3x a week for 20-30 minutes suffice? It doesn't! Simple.
    :)
  • amandavictoria80
    Options

Look at him, seems like he is in pretty good shape...your comment is pretty presumptuous. He didn't say every single person that works out everyday is half assing it, some people do some people don't. Props to you for working out 6 days a week at 110%.

I'm not sure if you know exactly what 'presumptuous' means. I say that because it was actually UponThisRock that was being very presumptuous. It's presumptuous to assume or to say that most don't give 100%. How would he know what everyone puts into their workout? He doesn't. Whether he is in good shape or not, that's just bulls**t!
    As someone who does work out 5-7 times a week and puts everything I have into it, this comment annoys me greatly.

Just saying... :)
  • therenegadeangel
    therenegadeangel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The government (if you can really trust them) recommend at least 30 minutes of MODERATE (not intense) exercise 5 days a week--so 2.5 hours a week plus strength training 2 -3 times a week. Most people on here are trying to lose large amounts of weight. I work out 4-5 days a week at least 45 minutes a day, if not up to 2 hours or more (and at a moderate to intense level). I have a little less than 40 lbs to my goal and I am not yet at a "healthy" range. I also am training for various events. If I only trained 90 minutes a week I would be a miserable failure.

If you are not including walking your dogs in your work outs of 3x a week, I think you are probably fine. You certainly are fine on the weight range.

Do what works for you!

I stopped reading at "The government recommends."
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    Options

Just gotta say I completely agree with you! Pissed me off to read that comment because I do workout pretty much everyday and I work my butt off! I ALWAYS give my 100%! I wouldn't bother otherwise.
    And I also believe that one needs to work out for 5-6 times a week. Realistically, to be healthy, you're supposed to get at least 30 minutes every single day. So, how would 3x a week for 20-30 minutes suffice? It doesn't! Simple.
    :)
    3 times per week 20-30 mins + 20 minutes strength training, I do walk my dog min 4 x a week. also ride my bike to my 2nd job-maybe that will suffice? I just dont count it, I guess thats why I asked the question, for opinions. My main goal is strength and firm. not weight loss. I guess if I added up all the things I do it surely would be 30 mins a day.

Thanks, I enjoy all the feedback:-)
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    Options
    I stopped reading at "The government recommends."
    [/quote]

:-) true
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have an active lifestyle. I exercise 30-60 minutes for 5-6 days per week (and yes I give it my all each time!), but I also sit at a desk all day long. Sounds like you probably get as much activity as I do. I agree that it depends on your fitness goals.