Is running enough?

Options

Replies

• Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to read all of the responses so sorry if this has been said- I just want to add my 2 cents!

I've been a runner for most of my life. I took a break when I was pregnant (I had 2 babies in a year and a half) and now I'm back to running.

I did a push-ups program that I found on my phone over the summer, and I've been doing kickboxing for the last 5 months, and I have noticed a HUGE difference in my running now because of it. (before the babies all I did was run or other cardio)

I am stronger, faster, and more comfortable with my running. Having a strong upper body is really really helpful when you are doing distance runs especially. I've run 3 marathons and I'd like to run more- and I will definitely keep up with the upper body training. I can't recommend push-ups enough!!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My running pace and endurance has increased steadily since I added strength and cross train days into my work out schedule. When I was only running I really wasn't seeing any measurable improvements and had frequent injuries and bonked runs. Since adding the strength and cross training I haven't had a single injury or bonked run.

When I start training in January for my half I will continue with having strength and cross training as part of my routine as well as adding in one day that will be fartlek, or similar, training as well to help build my pace and endurance even further.
  • ChristiRainwater
    Options
    I actually gained weight training for a marathon. If you want to lose weight, just running isn't going to cut it, you need to do some strength training, and not just focus on running a particular distance, make sure you do some speedwork/intervals/hills.
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    I actually gained weight training for a marathon. If you want to lose weight, just running isn't going to cut it, you need to do some strength training, and not just focus on running a particular distance, make sure you do some speedwork/intervals/hills.

On my short runs I am doing speedwork or hills. So I am doing that.
    I know for a fact I will lose weight running because a) I have already and b) I am too heavy not to.
    So now it's just a matter of what/how much strength training
  • nchaidez
    nchaidez Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    def some strength training. Also....if you're trying to build up cardio, I would also recommend the rowing machine. I set it in the middle resistance and do 20 minutes on it. Trust me...you'll be shocked at how hard it actually is to do 20 minutes continuously. It helps strengthen your back and gives your ankles a bit of a rest.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I ran 5 days a week and since school started up haven't been able to. I have never felt better than when I ran that much. Also in high school it was about 6 times a week 5 of which were 2 hours of running and core. This being said do some core and weight lifting it's important to keep up with that to be successful. I know you've seen those tall spindly runners! =] Good luck on your marathon!
  • FitFi74
    FitFi74 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I run too and have just started to do Jillian's 'Six week to six pack' to strenghten my core - It's only 30mins long so easy to fit round your running. Just an idea!
  • ShannTron
    Options
    It is a bout balance. To lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit. Burn more than you are taking in.

"That's not to say that strength training isn't important for the overall health of the body. But when it comes to burning the most calories, go for cardiovascular exercise. And vary the intensity, says Quist.

"Do aerobic base-building workouts," he says, where you alternate between moderate and higher intensity, either within the same workout or on alternate days.

Quist also recommends cross-training -- that is, doing a range of different activities during your workouts. Not only does this help you keep from getting bored, it's better for your body. Doing different activities recruits different muscle groups. You're also less likely to develop an injury, says Quist, since doing the same thing day after day creates wear patterns on your joints." <---recent study.

I used to run competively...do not forget ot strength train and cross train. It will help your overall speed and prevent injury!
    Good luck!
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You guys are ignoring something - some of us put on muscle very easily. When I start hitting the weights I gain at least 10 lbs WITHOUT piling on the protein/creatine. Having big upper body draws away oxygen/nutrients that can be used for running - the top marathon runners in the world are underweight or normal weight - if you want to be a FAST marathoner you have to focus your training on running.... I mean if you start running 10 miles a day (I'm currently at around 7 a day on my regular runs and I know that's already pushing it), you can't really do weight lifting and expect your body not to break down.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Are you doing Hal Higdon?? I started Hal Higdon's marathon program this week. (NOVICE I) Add me if you want.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    You will build muscle running, but it may or may not be the look you want. Adding in some weights 2-3 times a weeks should be okay. Also make sure you stretch daily, not only does it prevent injury but good stretching can build a long, lean look.

You will only lose weight if you are at a calorie deficit, so still track your calories. (I know some people, myself included in the past, who don't lose weight on exercise alone because we don't pay attention and increase our calories with the exercise)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    You guys are ignoring something - some of us put on muscle very easily. When I start hitting the weights I gain at least 10 lbs WITHOUT piling on the protein/creatine. Having big upper body draws away oxygen/nutrients that can be used for running - the top marathon runners in the world are underweight or normal weight - if you want to be a FAST marathoner you have to focus your training on running.... I mean if you start running 10 miles a day (I'm currently at around 7 a day on my regular runs and I know that's already pushing it), you can't really do weight lifting and expect your body not to break down.
    Putting on 10lbs of muscle while in a caloric deficit would be a neat trick to see done.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Are you doing Hal Higdon?? I started Hal Higdon's marathon program this week. (NOVICE I) Add me if you want.

I LOVE Hal Higdon. It's his program I started following after my 5K in Sept. I then did a 4.5mi race a month later and a 10K a month after that and had new personal bests on both races. Plus my arms are all lean and defined now, it's awesome. :D I'll be using one of his programs for my Half training next year as well.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you eat. My husband runs a lot, but he never lost any weight until he reduced his food intake.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I am not forgetting it, I don't think it is an issue. 1. I am not necessarily talking about lifting heavy. 2. It takes a lot of effort to put on muscle, even for males, that includes specific nutrition and hard work in the gym. It is pretty much impossible to gain muscle without actively trying.

Losing weight and seeing more muscle tone =/= adding muscle.

"A popular misconception in fitness and nutrition circles is that it is impossible to build muscle and lose weight -- via a caloric deficit -- simultaneously. While this is not impossible to do, it can be quite difficult and requires several specific circumstances to be in place. First, you must be significantly overweight with a high body fat percentage. Second, you must consume a diet conducive to muscular hypertrophy. Third, you must engage in a consistent program of weight training."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/#ixzz1fQJPJuoZ

Judging from the OP's sig, she is 1. a female meaning it would be that much more difficult for her to bulk up (see the numerous women bulking threads) and 2. not significantly overweight, which applies to the above article.

You can do higher reps of lower weight and not worry about gaining muscle.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have done 5 half marathons...and I keep up the running because it's effective in losing weight. However, I did start to incorporate some arm and shoulder work - just because I like my arms toned and running didn't do the trick there. Anyway, what I do during training season is do my short run, stretch my legs and then do some arm and shoulder work for about 15-20 mins. I do a lot of pushups which will also help your core and in turn help your overall running and lift 10 lb dumb bells as well as chair dips. The yoga you do is also fantastic so keep that up if you can.
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    I've done it :).... took me about 2 months but I did gain 10 lbs of muscle with a 1500 calorie diet... and my running suffered because of it... if I ate my bulking diet (cans of spam, 200g of protein) I can gain 10 lbs in 2 weeks.... and have heartburn every day...
    Putting on 10lbs of muscle while in a caloric deficit would be a neat trick to see done.
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    Yeah I guess but what's the point of lifting then if not to gain muscle as fast as possible... hehe maybe it's psychological too but I know if I lift I'm gonna lift heavy, low reps because otherwise I feel like I'm wasting my time....

I am not forgetting it, I don't think it is an issue. 1. I am not necessarily talking about lifting heavy. 2. It takes a lot of effort to put on muscle, even for males, that includes specific nutrition and hard work in the gym. It is pretty much impossible to gain muscle without actively trying.

Losing weight and seeing more muscle tone =/= adding muscle.

"A popular misconception in fitness and nutrition circles is that it is impossible to build muscle and lose weight -- via a caloric deficit -- simultaneously. While this is not impossible to do, it can be quite difficult and requires several specific circumstances to be in place. First, you must be significantly overweight with a high body fat percentage. Second, you must consume a diet conducive to muscular hypertrophy. Third, you must engage in a consistent program of weight training."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/#ixzz1fQJPJuoZ

Judging from the OP's sig, she is 1. a female meaning it would be that much more difficult for her to bulk up (see the numerous women bulking threads) and 2. not significantly overweight, which applies to the above article.

You can do higher reps of lower weight and not worry about gaining muscle.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I've done it :).... took me about 2 months but I did gain 10 lbs of muscle with a 1500 calorie diet... and my running suffered because of it... if I ate my bulking diet (cans of spam, 200g of protein) I can gain 10 lbs in 2 weeks.... and have heartburn every day...
    Gain 10lbs sure...but of lean muscle? Hah.
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    My bf% increased 1% - so yeah I think that was mostly lean muscle.
    Gain 10lbs sure...but of lean muscle? Hah.