People here should not fear debate

Options
Jeff92se
Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
Some of the best information comes from debates. I've found that you don't really know someone until you debate them. People's ability to appear different than they really are is hindered and you get to the core person. In a healthy debate that is. I've learned more here via people arguments vs normal posts.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Debate? What is that? Around here that is called "bullying" :P
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Healthy debate is interesting - even fun. It's only when things get personal and turn ugly that it becomes bad.
    I'm glad I was forced to debate in school - and with my husband - and friends lol. I can agree to disagree - no harm no foul and walk away friends.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Debate isn't personal.

Too often people get personal and then it ceases to be a debate and becomes an argument.

I'd enjoy debating if people knew how to do it correctly.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    When people get upset, it's usually because they see that they aren't able to prove their point, so instead of trying to be objective, they hold their stance no matter what. Even if it comes to name calling.

Shakeology is what prompted this thread
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    When people get upset, it's usually because they see that they aren't able to prove their point, so instead of trying to be objective, they hold their stance no matter what. Even if it comes to name calling.

I disgree, you pecker.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

I disgree, you pecker.

You are the master - debater
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it, I'm gonna tell you point blank how I feel and what's worked for me, take it or leave it. We can debate topics, but you can't really tell me my opinion and what I've been doing is wrong when it's been working for me! If you don't like that I'm opinionated, take me off your friends list. Won't hurt my feelings, I'll gladly discuss things with you and explain my point of view. Just don't behave like a child and yell (all caps) at me because you think you are right and I'm wrong. Your point of view is debatable too.....
    Stepping off my soap box now....
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    How do you effectively debate Shakeology? I wonder if two MFP members would be willing to show us a mock debate (but done seriously) to give others a clear idea how one should debate such things without resorting to name calling, all caps or hair pulling?
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    How do you effectively debate Shakeology? I wonder if two MFP members would be willing to show us a mock debate (but done seriously) to give others a clear idea how one should debate such things without resorting to name calling, all caps or hair pulling?

I've seen it done. By one guy questioning the program (has been stellar thoughout) and ONE other person. Maybe two. The rest of the "coaches" all got upset.
  • walkwithme1
    Options

I've seen it done. By one guy questioning the program (has been stellar thoughout) and ONE other person. Maybe two. The rest of the "coaches" all got upset.
    Have you tried the stuff? It's gross I couldn't get past the the taste....
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Have you tried the stuff? It's gross I couldn't get past the the taste....

At $3 to $4 a shake?? No.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

what is this Shakeology you speak of?
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Sorry. Snakeology. :drinker:
  • walkwithme1
    Options
    [/quote]
    Meal substitute add milk or water make it into s shake. Very expensive and i didn't like the flavor at all and I'd rather have actual food anyway...not worth trying in my opinion. And I don't think meal substitutes are as "healthy " as they claim to be.....I don't know that much about them but my doctor told me not to touch that kind of stuff.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Meal substitute add milk or water make it into s shake. Very expensive and i didn't like the flavor at all and I'd rather have actual food anyway...not worth trying in my opinion. And I don't think meal substitutes are as "healthy " as they claim to be.....I don't know that much about them but my doctor told me not to touch that kind of stuff.
    [/quote]

He knows what it is :wink: that's the guy who was debating circles around the coaches. :bigsmile:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Debates are for pansies, everyone should just tell me I'm right, the whole process takes much less time with the same result.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

It's the healthiest meal of the day!*

*Assuming you eat like crap all day
  • justTori
    Options
    Debate? What is that? Around here that is called "bullying" :P

Hahahahah I know right?!?!?!
  • justTori
    Options

I disgree, you pecker.

hahahahahaha this made me laugh HARD!!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I disgree, you pecker.

Damn you, it's been a long *kitten* day and now you have me sitting in my cube laughing like a fool.