Party....need advice

Options
I'm new to the site and have been logging for over 20 days faithfully. I haven't gone over my calories one day. This Saturday night I am going to a Christmas party. There is going to be a ton of food and drinks. I really want to go and have fun.....not obsessively logging the whole night. I would like to go and try all of the different foods and enjoy drinks and just not go overboard on anything...tasting everything but not overeating. There are going to be so many good friends there that I think I would be fine focusing on the social aspect and not the food. I guess I'm asking permission for a night off! And hoping to be held accountable to begin logging again on Sunday morning. I'm scared this will start a downward spiral. Anyone have experience with situations like this?

Replies

• Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs a cheat day. Enjoy your party just remember is about moderation. You will be fine. Hope you have a great time. :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    You are going to face years ahead of parties, and special occasions that revolve around food. It's what humans do.

You are going to have to learn to deal with this. I'd say, get some extra exercise in, maybe eat light the day before and the day after, and enjoy the party.
  • katbat65
    Options
    Just have fun! I have had a couple of these functions since I started my 12 Week Challenge. a Girl's Night In to raise money for breat cancer and a Halloween party. It was nice to let my hair down at these. I did make sure I got an exercise session in before them, and I watched my calorie intact during the day prior to going, but just enjoyed myself there. I just added 1000 extra calories over and above to my day. The good thing about this is when you finalise your day it tells you that if EVERY day was like this wht the impact would be after 5 weeks. One day in a blue moon has very little to no long term impact, and in my opinion is good for you because it keeps it all real! Good luck.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    You are going to face years ahead of parties, and special occasions that revolve around food. It's what humans do.

You are going to have to learn to deal with this. I'd say, get some extra exercise in, maybe eat light the day before and the day after, and enjoy the party.

ditto!
  • cpar621
    Options
    Just enjoy your party, but make sure you log it. For me, it's really helpful to input even the "cheat" foods because I've learned a lot about the calories and nutritional value of some of those foods. I've given up a few cheat foods because I realized it wasn't satisfying enough for the calories, but others I still keep around because I would rather work out to burn the calories than not have it! Logging you cheat day will also give you concrete information about how to get back on track (e.g. working out for an extra 10 minutes a day for three days) rather than choosing to ignore it which, for me, causes me to give up or spiral down.
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would enjoy the party, just remember that special occasions are for special occasion, not special all the frigging time.. that's how I got fat in the first place....

and don't guilt yourself to death over one day out of 20....I ate what I wanted at thanksgiving (for 4 days actually) and I was fine, I just have to have

SELF DISCIPLINE...

there are no food police.. only pants.. =)
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy your party, but make sure you log it. For me, it's really helpful to input even the "cheat" foods because I've learned a lot about the calories and nutritional value of some of those foods. I've given up a few cheat foods because I realized it wasn't satisfying enough for the calories, but others I still keep around because I would rather work out to burn the calories than not have it! Logging you cheat day will also give you concrete information about how to get back on track (e.g. working out for an extra 10 minutes a day for three days) rather than choosing to ignore it which, for me, causes me to give up or spiral down.

^^^This is what I do, but I know it doesn't work for everybody. Bottom line enjoy yourself, this is a lifestyle you have to enjoy it or you won't stay with it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Go ahead, have fun and just pay attention to how full you feel....and pace yourself with the food. If you've been doing really good the last 20 days, I think you'll find that you aren't able to eat as much as you used to anymore, and it might make you feel really lousy the next day, but that will be all the more incentive to get back on track Sunday.

Also, don't freak out if your weight jumps up after the party...it will be from extra sodium, and it won't stick around! If you can...stay away from the scale for a few days, because anything you see won't be a real gain.

Most of all..have a good time!! :drinker: :
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Relax and have fun it's one night. Now, if one night becomes two, three, or four it's a concern.
  • Gunff
    Gunff Posts: 47
    Options
    Actually going over by a certain amount every so often is encouraged.

If you have it set to losing 2 lbs a week you can go over up to 1,000 calories and still be at 0

if you are at -.5 you only get a 250 coushin, but enjoy yourself and just make sure you pace yourself at the party!

(I never log parties or cheat days, and i'm still losing you just have to be sure to get back on the next day and keep at it)
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Relax and have fun it's one night. Now, if one night becomes two, three, or four it's a concern.

I agree. Enjoy the party!
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Cut either the alcohol or the food hahaha - 1 drink is like 100-150 cals....
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Designate a driver.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I have experiences like this every time I'm invited to a party! I work out a little extra or eat a little bit more lean in the days leading up to the party, then I go to the party and have a killer good time and don't think twice about my food diary, and then the next day I get up and get back on track.

Easy as pecan pie.
  • hbart500
    hbart500 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    OH you just needs to enjoy your party! :) Just eat small portions and you can always workout like crazy the next few days if you are way over to make up for it. haha If not no big deal we all have cheat days.
  • Dominicanbound
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!! I went to the party and had a great time:-)) The whole day before going, I ate light. I didn't eat or drink near as much as I normally would have...I think because of what another person said....just don't have it in me. I am a little disappointed that I didn't jump back on today. I had a big family dinner....and added another day to the "vacation". BUT I can't wait to start logging and working out tomorrow. I feel so yucky. Taking a night and day off after being so good for 20 plus days, really put things into perspective. I'll come back to this post in a few days and let you know how I was able to get back on track. I need that accountability;-) Thanks for the support!!!!