Let's talk about ALDI

Options

Replies

• jsv454
    jsv454 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love ALDI! The one in my neighborhood has wonderful fresh produce. I have never had a problem with it being old. In fact, nothing sticks around long enough to get old!

I don't eat any grains or processed food, so I can't comment on that, but for the long Minnesota winters with no farmer's markets, ALDI veggies can't be beat!
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    I went there once and the produce was moldy. And they don't take credit cards.

One of the stores I used to shop at never had good produce. The one close to me now (luckily) has always had fresh stuff, though I usually don't buy much produce there because there's a farm market just down the road.

The CC issue does suck a bit. Gotta remember your debit card, reusable bags, and your quarter (for the cart) on an ALDI run.

I have never bought produce there, it looks like crap most of the time. But the rest I seem to have little or no problems with!
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    love Aldi I was born n brought up in Germany n now am in uk and am thrilled to find many products :) snd its so cheap... love the bread too
  • UUZennie
    UUZennie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ALDI is a German Grocery chain that has locations across the US but not in most of the South. They also own Trader Joe's.
  • ladym04
    Options
    ok so I quit going to aldi because my kids and i didnt like their "snack" food, but i think ill go back for a "healthy" trip and see how i do. Thanks for the info everyone!!
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have been told that ALDI is big on heavy added hormones in their meat and dairy......

I will not set foot in there anymore..... I used to love their produce and fresh flowers, but I swear it is a freak show in there every time I go. And their debit card machines are junk and usually dont work, which is fun :noway:

DISCLAIMER: I am not, nor am I pretending to be a: doctor, scientist or nutritionist and everything above is MY PERSONAL OPINION. Thank you! :smile:
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I was just in their yesterday. I like their rice cakes and sugar free jams. Its way cheaper than Walmart (at least a buck less) and rice cakes pretty much all taste the same LOL. The Fit and Lively Strawberry jam is awesome!!!! Its made with splenda and you get a big serving for 10 small calories!

I've bought their instant oatmeal too and it was good....I just try not to eat it too much.
  • nicolio8699
    nicolio8699 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    we buy tons of produce at aldi. i love it. i get name brands cheaper than aldi due to my amazing coupon skills, but the produce cannot be beat!
  • bigfluffyjujubird
    Options
    aldi over here takes credit cards and its fab we also have lidl :)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Their Greek yogurt is amazing.
  • jandueporti
    jandueporti Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Aldi is one of my favorite stores, you can save so much there!!

One of the best things is they have a double money back guarantee - I agree that their produce isn't always the freshest, but if you do buy something and find something wrong with it, when you go back they'll DOUBLE your refund or replace it with TWO new items...can't beat that!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    new one opened here in Mass so we went to check it out... didn't like the non-name brand stuff, or complete lack of healthy snacks or no-sodium canned foods. I buy store brand whenever I can but will not buy veggis canned unless they are sodium free, didn't like the produce selection/quality and their freezer was full of crap processed stuff..

I buy brands I know I can trust, Hannaford and Market Basket being two of them, the Aldi stuff seemed like bad knockoffs...

I didn't know at the time that they don't take cc, so that means I won't ever be returning because I don't carry cash or debit, only one cc.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've gone to the one near us, but didn't notice the prices being any different than when I shop the sales at the other grocery stores.

However, I love Ollie's Bargain Outlet for party food like chips, candy, beef jerky, and pretzels. :love: Name brand seconds for less than store brand prices.
  • Jackieb301
    Jackieb301 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My sister loves it here too. The one near me never has good produce but I'll have to check it out again. I don't buy a lot of processed food and that seems to be big there.

Yup, that's me! I LOVE ALDI, love their Fit and Active line. inexpensive eggs, dairy, cheap bananas, steel cut oats, $3.99 shrimp, frozen blueberries for $2.99.......yum, yum!!!!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i love their cheap fruit and veg deals!
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Our Aldi has great deals on flour, sugar, beans rolled oats, rice, pasta, chicken broth, baked chips, frozen shrimp & tilapia, etc. I don't always get produce there (there's a killer produce market half a mile further down the street), and I prefer meat from Meijer. They don't have a huge selection, but I generally like their products, and for most weeks, Aldi is my go-to for stocking up.
  • MorticiaLovesGomez
    Options
    Our Aldi has great deals on flour, sugar, beans rolled oats, rice, pasta, chicken broth, baked chips, frozen shrimp & tilapia, etc. I don't always get produce there (there's a killer produce market half a mile further down the street), and I prefer meat from Meijer. They don't have a huge selection, but I generally like their products, and for most weeks, Aldi is my go-to for stocking up.

Hey how much is the shrimp?

I second this.
    Have to add..... I've found some interesting organic things there for a great deal that I don't find otherwise. The produce can sometimes be a tad cheaper than other places, so it's worth checking.
    I'm not big into buying the meat there, if only cuz I don't know what has been added. BUT that being said, I can't say I have a great idea where the prepackaged pork chops from Kroger comes from either.

Haven't been there in a while, but that's only cuz hubby has been doing more of the shopping.
    I like them for their frozen fruit, killer coconut ice cream bars and prices on eggs./dairy.

Now that our diet is changing here, I will likely take a trip over there soon and see what I can get.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Well that's shopping the german way ^^ I always have to remember that we do not use the CC and even the DC that much .... people in Germany do use real money... shocking... I know o.0 lol

The meat isn't too bad - but then again, my opinion would be clouded as I get stuff there that I have been used to since childhood and that to me taste better than stuff I get at the local grocery store ^^

Love the xmas bits as well, proper Stollen, Marzipan and Lebkuch... oh Lebkuchen... *g* actually it's quite good that I do not have an ALDI near by
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    What part of the world are you in that has ALdis? I'm in southern USA and never heard of it.
    What part of the south are you in that doesn't have ALDI?

we don't have it here in southeast VA, but I have been to one in MD
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    What part of the world are you in that has ALdis? I'm in southern USA and never heard of it.

They have them in South Carolina