I might SCREAM.

Options
I am a dietetics major. I love it! The people? Not always.

In on of my Food Science classes we are giving presentations. We are to find a peer review study and inform the class on the study, value, and assess it. Today's presenter chose a study about health and vegetarianism. Correlative study that compared the BMI(boo) of vegetarians, vegans, and meat eaters. The study was okay i suppose, but what got me was her advice.

The professor asked, as a dietitian what would you recommend?

She told our class that she would recommend that everyone give up meat, or at least limit to 2-3 servings per week maximum. Absolutely no red meat. Meat is high in saturated fat she said, which we all know makes you fat. Eating fruits and vegetables will make you lose weight since they have scarce calories.

Once in was time for questions I was about ready to pop xD
Had a mfp style debate (no name calling of course tho lol) and it looked like my professor was giving her best poker face. She told my classmate that she needs to do some more research. After class I had to talk to her about my presentation i will be giving me next week, and she told me that I had very strong points in the little debate.

As a junior in dietetics she REALLY should know more right?? Or am I just expecting too much from some of my peers lol

/end rant

MFP people. Please do your research before spouting off BS.
Always a good thing to do! Hope you all have a fantastic weekend <3

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Here's how I see this:

If you're on MFP and you offer up advice - you most likely are offering from a couple sources:

A) Your own personal experience

B) what you've read online/in books/etc

So, the room for error is greater. Most people aren't professionals when it comes to diet/exercise advice.

Your classmate, on the other hand, wants to be a professional. She is going to be out in the world offering advice/help to people who come to her as a professional.

I think she needs to do far more studying and learning before she graduates because there are people on this site who haven't had any schooling and know more than she does. This is what turns people off to "professionals" in the diet/exercise world.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Another example of someone who may end up with a credential, but not have the wisdom to properly apply the information gained. It happens in school, and then in the workplace. Do your homework and use common sense, brothers and sisters.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I might SCREAM for ice cream.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I argue with my former dietetic classmates all the time. They can stick to not eating meat if they want. It's funny though how I eat meat constantly yet I'm not obese like they say I "should" be according to my meat intake.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    What I'm finding is that even professionals and experts can't agree on how the human body works. I think this is fascinating. The human body is way more complicated than we give it credit for, and I love that. Don't know why, but I do.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Mostly just a rant and to show that some "professionals" are not what people would think. I have a feeling she is going to be one. Maybe she will surprise me and turn out wonderful, who knows?
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My question is this - is she taking the class because she has to as part of her major, which assumed is the same as yours? OR is this class also offered as an elective, therefore allowing non-major students to take it as well? If that is the case, perhaps she is taking it as an elective and really doesn't know much outside of this class.

It could also be she is some level of vegetarian and believes meat is not good.

When I took a couple of nutrition related classes it was mixed majors and there were certainly a wide variety of knowledge bases within my peers.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am a dietetics major. I love it! The people? Not always.

In on of my Food Science classes we are giving presentations. We are to find a peer review study and inform the class on the study, value, and assess it. Today's presenter chose a study about health and vegetarianism. Correlative study that compared the BMI(boo) of vegetarians, vegans, and meat eaters. The study was okay i suppose, but what got me was her advice.

The professor asked, as a dietitian what would you recommend?

She told our class that she would recommend that everyone give up meat, or at least limit to 2-3 servings per week maximum. Absolutely no red meat. Meat is high in saturated fat she said, which we all know makes you fat. Eating fruits and vegetables will make you lose weight since they have scarce calories.

Once in was time for questions I was about ready to pop xD
    Had a mfp style debate (no name calling of course tho lol) and it looked like my professor was giving her best poker face. She told my classmate that she needs to do some more research. After class I had to talk to her about my presentation i will be giving me next week, and she told me that I had very strong points in the little debate.

As a junior in dietetics she REALLY should know more right?? Or am I just expecting too much from some of my peers lol

/end rant

MFP people. Please do your research before spouting off BS.
    Always a good thing to do! Hope you all have a fantastic weekend <3

Just for spite, do yours on Grass-Fed Beef. Blow her right out of the water...
    Options
    My question is this - is she taking the class because she has to as part of her major, which assumed is the same as yours? OR is this class also offered as an elective, therefore allowing non-major students to take it as well? If that is the case, perhaps she is taking it as an elective and really doesn't know much outside of this class.

It could also be she is some level of vegetarian and believes meat is not good.

When I took a couple of nutrition related classes it was mixed majors and there were certainly a wide variety of knowledge bases within my peers.

She stated she was a dietetics major. Otherwise I would not have bothered xD
    Options
    Oh and before anyone yells... i was a vegetarian for 3 years. Nothing against them :]
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    personally i find that being a vegetarian is neither better nor worse than being a meat eater, i was one for 2 years until i got pregnant the first time and all i wanted was bacon lol, hmmm something tells me we need meat??? lol but a lot of vegetarians do it wrong also eating waaay to much pasta bread etc and therefore defeating the purpose of a "healthier way to eat" having to be careful how much tofu you ingest and most vegetarians i know take many different supplements to make up for not eating meat. but that being said i think the best advice would be to eat what you want but just learn that everything needs to be enjoyed in moderation and proper portion sizes :)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    They're falling into thinking traps. You, on the other hand, have freed your mind, and the rest will follow.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I feel so...faaaaaaaaaaaaaaat for eating meat. *Pout...cry...waaaaaaaaaah!*

Oh wait? You mean she was wrong?

Whew. Close one there.

I can't stand it when people take half of a shred of some sort of "study" and use it to base not only their opinion, but try to force others into believing that opinion.

I enjoy my meat. I enjoy it often. My daily log shows me I love meat, and my doctor's labs show me that it's not bad for me...not to mention that my weekly measurements show me that I am losing body fat while eating as much meat as I please.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    personally i find that being a vegetarian is neither better nor worse than being a meat eater.

Being a vegetarian is a LOT worse than being a meat eater.

No bacon.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Oh and before anyone yells... i was a vegetarian for 3 years. Nothing against them :]

I've tried a lot of ways and means of eating, including vegetarianism. I think the biggest fault of mine (in the past) has been holding on to shards of studies or nutritional dogma and using it as pure bias. Sounds like your classmate just needs to get beyond the dogma hurdle.

Did she cite "the China Study" at all? :laugh: