Let's talk about ALDI

Options

Replies

• JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Did you know Aldi & Trader Joe's is owned by the same company?
  • MorticiaLovesGomez
    Options
    Did you know Aldi & Trader Joe's is owned by the same company?

Ya know..... this kinda makes sense.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    FYI - I just went to ALDI today. I took two of their paper bags that I had in my trunk. Apparently they looked brand new because I checked my receipt when I left and noticed the cashier made me pay for them again!!!! haha Oh well. It was only 12 cents.

Also, I almost bought clementines at Meijer for $5.99. I waited and went to ALDI, got a bag for $2.99 instead. :smile:
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hahahah...I am the one who says Aldi's.....I'm too impatient for the lines...but I will go tere when I need 2 budget my list. About the produce...the oranged looks so ugly...but they are the best!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    So... I'm broke. I dont have a car. I live in walking distance to ALDI. Literally a quarter of a mile. I didn't even know what ALDI was (just moved here). Are you guys telling me I have a goldmine right under my feet that I haven't discovered yet??? I am so grateful for this post! What are the general go-to tips that I need? I read something about paying for carts and bringing own bags?

Oh and I live in the south... Right outside Atlanta
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I don't shop there much but there are certain things I buy there.....

1. No cal lemonade drinks
    2. Canned black beans (for chili)
    3. Diced tomatoes
    4. Nacho chips (for hubby who says they are better than Doritos)
    5. Burritos (for hubby)

I also go there for ice cream toppings when I have a party for the kids at school....they don't care if it's name brand or not!!
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    So... I'm broke. I dont have a car. I live in walking distance to ALDI. Literally a quarter of a mile. I didn't even know what ALDI was (just moved here). Are you guys telling me I have a goldmine right under my feet that I haven't discovered yet??? I am so grateful for this post! What are the general go-to tips that I need? I read something about paying for carts and bringing own bags?

Oh and I live in the south... Right outside Atlanta

YES! :happy:
    I purchased their LARGE and regular sized reusable bags and take them with me every time I go! Amazing! Sometimes I know I'm not getting enough to need the quarter to get the cart (you get it back when you're done and put the cart back) so I just put my stuff in one of my bags while I shop, unload at the checkout, and reload as the cashier's ringing me up. :happy:
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    aldi have some good stuff... I love their low cal stuff..and its nice and affordable
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    not a fan. plus, all the ones here are totally in the hood.
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I live in NC and we have Aldi here we have for a while actually. Used to go much more frequently than we do now though.
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I live down the street from an ALDI and ... I can't. The lines are not managed well. I'd rather jump in the car or walk to the ShopRite a mile away because I usually will get out sooner.

But I will look in the store during my next vacation ... a lot of my friends' diaries include ALDI products.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Love Aldi's....my budget does too....
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Be careful with Aldi and Lidl products on desserts, cakes, biscuits etc., they use a lot of hydrogenated product - to make the food taste good and makes it cheap. Just be sure to read the labels.

That said, some of their produce is excellent - pet food, seasonal chocolates, saucepans.. yes that is a bit random!!
  • jaychandler
    Options
    Just joined here, and I'm loving it!

And I'm a big Aldi fan, I found this website with a lot of product reviews that's helped me out a lot, I bookmarked it!
    it's http://aldishopper.blogspot.com/

My Aldi is pretty good. The produce is fresh, but the one by my sister is not so good in that department. I guess it depends on where you live? I love almost all of their Fit & Active line, and the prices are GREAT!

Anyway, thanks for the site - looking forward to starting 2012 off on the right foot!

Jay Chandler
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Here are a few of my new favorites from Aldi's:

Artisan Lettuce
    sweet butter lettuce
    fresh spinach
    mini seedless watermelons
    blueberries
    kiwi
    imitation crab and lobster meat
    tilapia
    shrimp
    chicken tenderloins
    boneless skinless chicken breasts
    Happy Farms spreadable cheese wedges - like Laughing Cow
  • MonkeyMoo08
    Options
    I am in North GA and we have an Aldi. It just opened last year...I love going there!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Have several within a mile of me, and get some things there, namely handsoap, toilet paper, cottage cheese (I love their cottage cheese), their massive pears, cranberry wensleydale and sometimes their german rye bread. Alas, I also went through a load of their chocolate, especially their white chocolate with strawberry crisp, lol. I did not realise they had Aldi in the USA.
  • BillyMena
    Options
    LOVE ALDI. I work for a food manufacturer that sells to ALDI (and Trader Joe's) certain Grandessa items and I can say that they are VERY strict about how we produce their products and the quality of the products. I like that. I shopped at ALDI before they were a customer and still do. I know that they are not "bad knockoff's" they sell good quality products at a great price. They are able to keep costs low by asking vendors to package items in easy to display packs - less labor to unload onto shelves; the quarter for the cart reduces a guy out there pushing carts around - one less paycheck; not taking CC they save the 3-4% that the credit card company charges them - savings to the customer; paying for your bag - again reduces cost = savings to the customer. All good smart business sense.

That being said...produce can be hit and miss.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I live pretty close to a couple aldi`s stores and they are great I`ve never had any issues with the produce there tends to be my go to store when I`m alittle low on shopping funds for the week. (I`m in Northwestern PA)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    We don't have any here in Perth. It's depressing :( My parents love them and they have some of the best foods but I can't access them over here.

We have a shop called Spudshed which has the CHEAPEST fruit and veg (my carrots are regurally 49c a kilo, specials are 7c) but besides the fruit, veg and meat the other stuff is just as expensive as the normal stores. Would love an Aldis!