help me convince my parents to let me get a bike

Options
kennie2
kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
I've said i'd pay for it but they're like "we have no room to put it" when we do
and i tried using the "i'll use it for uni next year" excuse too and nothing

any ideas?

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Trying to stop you from getting one is not only capriciously silly, but downright socially irresponsible. Cycling is not just good exercise; it's also one of the best forms of aerobic exercise around, the greenest possible form of transportation, and much more economical than an automobile.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Trying to stop you from getting one is not only capriciously silly, but downright socially irresponsible. Cycling is not just good exercise; it's also one of the best forms of aerobic exercise around, the greenest possible form of transportation, and much more economical than an automobile.

Exactly this. Why don't you just buy it if you are paying for it? You are 18 after all.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Exactly this. Why don't you just buy it if you are paying for it? Are you 18, after all?
    Fixed it.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    It's their house and their rules.

Since you're 18 (right??) you have every right to get your own house and make your own rules - including buying a bike.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Are your parents easily persuaded by strangers on the Internet?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Have you tried holding your breathe and jumping up and down? If that doesn't work, screaming "I hate you!" then locking yourself in the bathroom should do it.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Threaten to run away.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You could wait until you leave for uni next year to buy a bike :) Then you're out of the house and can do whatever you want! It's almost winter anyway (assuming you're in the northern hemisphere) so a bike won't do much good now.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Negotiate with them in an adult and mature way.
    Is there something you could offer or do that would be a bargaining chip?
    The "I'll feed and water the puppy everyday and take him for walks" tactic does not generally work.
    Example: If you have a really cluttered basement, that could provide storage if it were organized, offer to organize it to make the space.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

Did you ever think maybe they really dont have any room?
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    they are probobly just jealous,
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Just clear out a space and get one anyway.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    We do have room. And if I get one my stepdad will probably throw it out (yes he's mental) and I already do every chore possible
  • vbuell997
    vbuell997 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wait until you have your own place.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    We do have room. And if I get one my stepdad will probably throw it out (yes he's mental) and I already do every chore possible

If you're living with someone who is so "mental" and throws out things that belong to other people, maybe you just want to get out now. You're going to college, and if you're not in a dormitory, you'll need an apartment. Start looking now.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options
    Can you keep it in YOUR room? This way it's not bothering them?
    *Sorry about the mental stepdad. :(
  • SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    hide it under your bed.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you opened your diary.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options