Snow running

Options
I need some advice. I'm training for a 1/2 marathon that I'm running in 2 months, but 1 month of training will be in the snow. I live in SoCal but I'm flying home for a month for Xmas and such, thus running the bulk of my long runs outdoors on unfamiliar terrain. I loathe treadmills, so training on them is not an option. The runs will be anywhere from 2-12 miles.

Runners - what do you wear when you run outdoors in the snow? I know you're supposed to wear moisture-wicking gear, but what about shoes? Layers? How do you keep from sliding on the ice? What do I need to purchase/bring?

Any advice is helpful!

Replies

• remyegomez
    Options
    I just got some Nike LunarGlide+ 3 Shield shoes they have a water-resistant upper and reflectivity for enhanced visibility in low light. I've been running with them in the rain and cold and I like them a lot. I wear a bunch of layers when I run so I can stay warm and no cotton. I also wear wool socks it helps. As far as running on ice try to say on grass or dirt. Any payment will be super slick. Good luck on your 1/2.
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yaktrax is on my Christmas list for running in the snow to avoid sliding. You strap them onto your running shoes. Haven't used them so can't comment on their effectiveness.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I don't run outside when it's icy... I hate the treadmill more than just about anyone, but it's not worth the risk of injury blowing my marathon (I'm running one January 8 and live on the East Coast, so share your concern!). I've never tried the Yaktrax, but am a bit dubious that they'd be comfortable for long runs (especially since I wear minimalist shoes), but I might give 'em a try in snow.

As long as it's not icy, I just wear my regular socks and shoes when it snows; I'm generally running on shoveled sidewalks and running paths, so don't find it a big deal.

Good luck!
  • slateo10
    Options
    Ive been running cross country since i was in 4th grade... now training/ running track and field and the collegiate level. My recommendation is just dress warm, layer your clothing with under armor underneath and make sure you are always wearing gloves and ear warmers since that is mainly what controls your body temperature. Also i really suggest cross training on days you absolutely can not get outside. Whether it is too icy or just impossible to run in the snow try aqua jogging. Running in the pool is amazing... I trained for my whole cross country season in the pool and I was running faster times then I ever had in the past. If you do end up running in the pool try and go for atleast 70 minutes... sometime an hour and a half. My coach always tells us that every ten minutes of aqua jogging equals to one real mile on land. I HIGHLY suggest this, its awesome. Good luck: )
  • BKR1977
    BKR1977 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Growing up in Michigan on dirt roads that only turn to ice when they were plowed I found Yaktrax a waste of money.
    Go to the hardwear store and get short hex head sheet metal screws. If you can find the ones that have the screw driver slot across the top those are the best. More friction area.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_57676-37672-490231_0__?productId=3035824&Ntt=sheet+metal+screws+hex&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=sheet+metal+screws+hex&page=1&facetInfo=

Use a magnetic nut driver with a drill for easy installation. The magnet makes all the difference.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_280424-68081-89244_0__?productId=1208395&Ntt=nutt+driver&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=nutt+driver&facetInfo=

This is really an easy and cheap 15 minute job. Place about 8 or so where the high points are on the shoe bottoms. When you remove them the shoe sole closes back up. Just ensure they dont go all the way through.

If you're worried about snow in the shoe consider the inov-8 gaiter socks. Keeps the snow out and just like normal socks. Wont keep out water if you're going through a puddle.

I've had people stop me on the dirt/ice road and ask me how i wasn't falling on my *kitten*. I have used them every year during the Sergeant Preston 6 miler which is on the West Michigan coast on New Years day.

Let me know if you need anything else. Running it the snow is the best.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice! My main concern is definitely falling on my butt, so I'll try to keep to shoveled and non-icy surfaces whenever possible. I don't know if there are any gyms with pools in the town I'm going to, it's quite small but running in heated water sounds really nice. BKR, thanks for the great ideas.