NSV and horrible set back... all at once.

My little sister has asked me to be her Maid of Honor in May. This (among others) was one of my main motivators to start losing weight. I was a size 20 when I started this journey.

Today we went to David’s Bridal to match her dress with the bridesmaids dresses. I helped her put on her dress, and then started trying on bridesmaid dresses. The one I tried on that was a size 20 was big enough to swim in. All of the size 18 ones were loose. When I tried on the last dress it fit perfectly except for around the bust and armpits where it was too tight. I asked my sis to check the size, and it was a 16! I was very excited and feeling pretty good about myself. Having a dress be too small because your boobs are too big is not a bad thing in my book.

Then my sister (who is a small size 4) came to stand next to me in the mirror so we see how the dresses looked together and I promptly started feeling like a fat cow. Now I feel like to matter how much weight I lose I'm going to look overweight standing next to her.. so why bother?

I know this is a bad attitude to have and that I should not compare myself to others. Everyone's body is different and yada yada and all that jazz. But still.. I can't help but be depressed.

Replies

• It's completely normal to feel the way you are feeling right now. HOWEVER, when you get to may, that dress will not still be a 16, you will have continued to lose weight for the next 5 months and most likely it will be a 12 or even a 10! Anyone, even a size 6 person, looks/feels fat compared to a size 4. I was once a 6 and thought i was huge next to my friends...lol, if only I knew then...hang in there chicka...this is a "feelings plateau", it will move! :wink:
  • ncytiz
    ncytiz Posts: 105 Member
    First of all, enjoy the feeling of fitting into the smaller dress! That's a huge accomplishment and you need to enjoy the results of your hard work!!

Secondly, I understand completely because my sister was always very thin. She was pretty and tiny and cute while I was the opposite. I hated that she was that way naturally and didn't even have to work to look good. She never said or did anything to make me feel bad, but I was the one that did the comparisons.

Things are just not fair sometimes, and there's nothing you can do about it. There will always be someone thinner and someone heavier than you. Just work on you and your goals and don't worry about how you look next to anyone else.

I'm still heavier than I want to be and I'd probably still look huge next to my sister, but I'd do anything to stand next to her again. Unfortunately I lost her to cancer a few years ago.

Just do the best you can with the things you can control and enjoy the good times you have with her!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 619 Member
    well, heres something that will hopefully cheer you up a little more....I used to work at davids bridal and all their dresses are cut a bit smaller. So if you are a street size 10, you usually where a 12 or even a 14 there. Thus you being able to fit into a 16 there means you might be even smaller in normal clothes! I will caution that the bridesmaid dresses do get stretched out alot (depending on the style and how often they get tried on) so make sure before you order that they take your measurements and match it to the size chart and if your between sizes go with the bigger one (can always take it in, but not very easy to let out)

and dont focus on your sister. I know its easier said than done, but be proud of what you accomplished and how big an improvement you are making in your life. And just keep pushing forward and think how awesome you're gonna look in that dress when it comes time for her wedding!