net and calorie intake cofusion..

skullgirl84
skullgirl84 Posts: 36 Member
Okay so I have a few questions. If my Goal = 1300. Food = 1100. Exercise = -1000. Net = 100, am I exercising too much? What should my net be at the end of the day? Do I need more calorie intake even if it affects my sodium, protein, and fat? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    grrrrl you must be hungry! Have a sandwhich or something!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    either exercising too much or not eating enough.
    you want your net calories to be as close to your goal calories as possible..
    at the VERY least you should net 1200 calories.. going over on protein and fat wont matter so much (MFP protein default is low anyway) but if you go over on sodium, youll want to drink more water and/or eat more potassium.
  • I agree with Rockerbabyy.... You really don't eat enough! Your net calories should be at least 1200...
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Yes. You are supposed to eat your "earned" calories. If you get 1200 and you exercise 300 that is 1500 which means you should eat 1500 calories a day. You can be under to speed up results of the weight loss but try not to go under 1200 calories a day or you could slow your metabolism and put it into starvation mode which is counter productive. You can definetely go over on protein! Protein is very good or you and your body will burn your natural fat before it takes the protein as a source. Try eating larger servings of chicken, fish, or turkey. You can get more calories that way with low fat and no sugar. Fat and Sugars you want to watch out for because those are ones your body will store and going over on sodium will possibly have you holding onto water weight or make your muscles cramp. If I have to go over on some, I always chose sodium first then fat then sugar. Sugar is the worst to go over in my opinion. Unless you are a health nut or just love to eat protein and veggies all day, it is not hard to go over on sugar and fat once in a while depending on your personal goal that MFP set up for you. From how much you are exercising, I would say cut back a little. Unless it feels great and you just love it, try to aim for what MFP tells you is a good daily exercise goal. Mine is around 400 calories per day 5 days a week. If you are burning 1000 at every work out, then you should be eating that much more. You definetely don't want to make your metabolism slow by not taking in enough energy. Remember, calories are a measurement of energy. You need those or eventually in the long run, you will burn out and be too tired to exercise that much.

So in my opinion, either cut back on your exercise routine, or add some more chicken to your diet! lol Your recommended exercise goal should be on your personal profile and or settings page. When you put in how many days you work out, they will suggest how many calories you should be burning at every workout. They already factor in that you will be eating those calories. If you do not eat the extra calories you burned, your results will be different then the goal they set with you. At the rate you are going, you are burning about a pound every 2 days or more depending on your daily activity level. If you keep doing it just make sure you are getting your 1200 calories and a good nights rest. It takes a deficit of 3500 calories to equal a pound of weight loss so if you burn 2000 a day just breathing, and you burn 1000 exercising and only have 100 intake, you will be burning about 2900 calories a day. 3500 being about 1 pound, that how you get the loss of 1-1.5 pound every 2 days. Has your weight been dropping drastically? This looks good in the beginning but in the long run you are training your body to survive on less calories and if you decide you want to go on vacation for a week and eat what you want and spoil yourself, you will bloat like a balloon because your body will get used to surviving on the 100 calories and will store any extra like it has no tomorrow. So to make it better on yourself in the long run, it's better for you to stick to MFP's suggestions and lose the weight slower. It's more likely to stay off and become a permanent change.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,336 Member
    Eat. Or suffer the consequences.
  • skullgirl84
    :smile:
  • skullgirl84
    Eat. Or suffer the consequences.

haha!!!
  • skullgirl84
    grrrrl you must be hungry! Have a sandwhich or something!

ha!:laugh:
  • skullgirl84
    Yes. You are supposed to eat your "earned" calories. If you get 1200 and you exercise 300 that is 1500 which means you should eat 1500 calories a day. You can be under to speed up results of the weight loss but try not to go under 1200 calories a day or you could slow your metabolism and put it into starvation mode which is counter productive. You can definetely go over on protein! Protein is very good or you and your body will burn your natural fat before it takes the protein as a source. Try eating larger servings of chicken, fish, or turkey. You can get more calories that way with low fat and no sugar. Fat and Sugars you want to watch out for because those are ones your body will store and going over on sodium will possibly have you holding onto water weight or make your muscles cramp. If I have to go over on some, I always chose sodium first then fat then sugar. Sugar is the worst to go over in my opinion. Unless you are a health nut or just love to eat protein and veggies all day, it is not hard to go over on sugar and fat once in a while depending on your personal goal that MFP set up for you. From how much you are exercising, I would say cut back a little. Unless it feels great and you just love it, try to aim for what MFP tells you is a good daily exercise goal. Mine is around 400 calories per day 5 days a week. If you are burning 1000 at every work out, then you should be eating that much more. You definetely don't want to make your metabolism slow by not taking in enough energy. Remember, calories are a measurement of energy. You need those or eventually in the long run, you will burn out and be too tired to exercise that much.

So in my opinion, either cut back on your exercise routine, or add some more chicken to your diet! lol Your recommended exercise goal should be on your personal profile and or settings page. When you put in how many days you work out, they will suggest how many calories you should be burning at every workout. They already factor in that you will be eating those calories. If you do not eat the extra calories you burned, your results will be different then the goal they set with you. At the rate you are going, you are burning about a pound every 2 days or more depending on your daily activity level. If you keep doing it just make sure you are getting your 1200 calories and a good nights rest. It takes a deficit of 3500 calories to equal a pound of weight loss so if you burn 2000 a day just breathing, and you burn 1000 exercising and only have 100 intake, you will be burning about 2900 calories a day. 3500 being about 1 pound, that how you get the loss of 1-1.5 pound every 2 days. Has your weight been dropping drastically? This looks good in the beginning but in the long run you are training your body to survive on less calories and if you decide you want to go on vacation for a week and eat what you want and spoil yourself, you will bloat like a balloon because your body will get used to surviving on the 100 calories and will store any extra like it has no tomorrow. So to make it better on yourself in the long run, it's better for you to stick to MFP's suggestions and lose the weight slower. It's more likely to stay off and become a permanent change.

Thanks alot :wink: ...Im new to this,so its like they say you learn something new everyday:happy: :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.