"You can't eat that!" - A Rant

Options
OMG....I am SO frustrated with people saying "You can't eat that", so I ask "why" and they say "because you are on a diet". I'm sorry...first I am NOT on a diet. Diets end. I am trying to make a lifestyle change. Second, I can eat whatever the heck I want! As long as I get the proper nutrition in, and my calories are in check, I can eat WHATEVER I WANT! Grr.....

Mostly I get this from people at work. I'm a pretty open person, so a lot of people know I'm trying to lose weight, but no wonder some people prefer to keep that stuff private...geez! I'm just so sick of people around me analyzing what I'm eating and telling me whether or not I should be eating it! My life...let me live it!

Ah...much better. Thanks for listening :smile:

EDIT - I want to add that the last two comments like this made to me were about things I wasn't even going to eat! Today it was about these HUGE muffins sitting on the table in the break room that I wasn't even considering touching, and the other day, it was about a plate of desserts that I was bringing home to my boyfriend after a work party.

Replies

• cheli
    cheli Posts: 40
    Options
    OMG....I am SO frustrated with people saying "You can't eat that", so I ask "why" and they say "because you are on a diet". I'm sorry...first I am NOT on a diet. Diets end. I am trying to make a lifestyle change. Second, I can eat whatever the heck I want! As long as I get the proper nutrition in, and my calories are in check, I can eat WHATEVER I WANT! Grr.....

Mostly I get this from people at work. I'm a pretty open person, so a lot of people know I'm trying to lose weight, but no wonder some people prefer to keep that stuff private...geez! I'm just so sick of people around me analyzing what I'm eating and telling me whether or not I should be eating it! My life...let me live it!

Ah...much better. Thanks for listening :smile:

EDIT - I want to add that the last two comments like this made to me were about things I wasn't even going to eat! Today it was about these HUGE muffins sitting on the table in the break room that I wasn't even considering touching, and the other day, it was about a plate of desserts that I was bringing home to my boyfriend after a work party.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain sister! My favorite way to deal with it is to be a complete and utter smartass.

Next time someone says, "You can't eat that!" Step back, drop your jaw and say, "Oh no! Is there a recall on (insert your food here)!" When they say, no - ask them why you shouldn't eat it. When they say, "I thought you were on a diet..." In a dead-pan just look at them and say... "I'm not on a diet. I AM however watching what I eat and while I appreciate your help - honestly? The biggest portion of it is the 'I' part - no one can do this for me. Actually all YOU can do when you say things like that is make me angry and want to eat it to spite you."
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    tell me about it
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Bring in a big tub of cool whip and say, "I can't eat this--here, you guys have it!"

...and then laugh all the way to your yummy food (that they tell you you can't eat). :bigsmile:

If you're wondering about the whole cool whip thing, search for the thread that has the title something like "A delicious mix of condom lube..."

Of course, I really like sonjavon's response, too. That one is awesome! You could even go further and say something like "why would I want to eat it?" and then go into excruciating detail about all the nasty things that are probably in it (like the cool whip). See if you can gross them out. :drinker:
  • rayemlls
    rayemlls Posts: 45
    Options
    Thats why I dont tell anyone im dieting ....I had to do the same thing when I stoped smoking.....Menwhile im waiting for my steamed rice to be done while my kids are sitting by me eating Pizza! I so hate dieting...:grumble:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Yeah the BF does the same thing sometimes. Drives me NUTS!!!

If I want a freaking cheeseburger I'm going to eat it. I bust my *kitten* an hour at the gym 5-6 days a week. It's not like I'm having one everyday!!! It goes in my calories and I make room for it.:mad: :angry: :grumble:
  • kickle88
    kickle88 Posts: 22
    Options
    I know that it can be very frustrating but you must remember that they are trying to help and support you because they love you and want you to succeed!!!:heart:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Atleast you have the option to eat it :tongue: - There is no option I truely can't have it-- So instead I smell it lol..
    Don't worry about other people-
  • mulewhipper
    Options
    freakin people:grumble: :grumble:

Don't let them bring you down. :glasses:
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I totally understand your frustration. And I love the idea of being a smart-*kitten* in response - I do that anyway! :laugh:

:drinker:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I say that to my coworker all the time (but his idea of a healthy lunch is an almond joy, some beef jerkey and an arizona tea) :laugh:

Just ignore them!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I totally understand your frustration. And I love the idea of being a smart-*kitten* in response - I do that anyway! :laugh:

:drinker:

Yeah Just have a smart *kitten* come back like- Oh you didn't know I'm on a cheeseburger and fries diet thats how I lost such and such amount of weight you should try it too--
  • samster85
    samster85 Posts: 51
    Options
    OmG!!! Same here!!! People are like I thought you were trying to lose weight and I tell them that i am working on it. My problem is in the exercise area not the Calorie area. i am really good at keeping track of those, well for the most part.

There are so many people at my place of work that are like i'm on a diet or carbs are bad for you so are carrots and blah blah blah. I just tell them if they watch their calories intake and try to eat healthy it won't be a problem

once people on diets lose the weight they back to eating what they did before and that doesn't solve a thing.

so AMEN to you my friend for speaking your mind and telling it like it is. :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I actually have gotten a few ppl at work to change their eating, after they saw me eat regular food. Once they realized I didnt have a majic pill, or have to eat salad all day long, they became interested in changing.

I wish them good fortune and healthy eating!!