Exercise induced breathing problems... sort of?

Options
Hey guys!

When I was younger I was diagnosed with asthma, but it wasn't very strong. My attacks were manageable even without medication, so I actually just stopped using an inhaler after a while. No real pain, just a tightness in the chest a little and shortness of breath. It never felt too uncomfortable just mildly annoying.

I seem to have grown out of it, although I've not been back to a doctor about it anytime recently. The one exception is when I run outdoors. I do other things outdoors like walk or bike (I tend to like to go in quick bursts on my bike since I bike in traffic) and this doesn't affect me then.

More interestingly, when I run on a treadmill I don't experience tightness or breath shortness. I've run for 30 minutes at a stretch without feeling any breathing problems (other than breathing a little hard from general physical exhertion + being out of shape heheh). I ran last night to the store and back with my husband and I could barely make 10 minutes before I had to stop because my chest felt that familiar tingling/ burning and my breath was coming short. After a few minutes of walking I was able to run again but it is very much stop and go from then on.

I'm chalking it up to pollution maybe. I might try running with a scarf or mask since it might also be coldness and dryness of air. Not sure!

I'll see a doctor about it, too, but I was curious if anyone else experiences this?

Replies

• ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma. This may be your case as well... especially if you used to have asthma. I only take my inhaler once before I exercise and I never have any issues.

Talk to you doctor. Could be allergies as well (pollution). Are you taking like allegra/claritin/etc regularly?
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Exercise induced asthma is a real thing. Talk to your DR.
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    Was it cold? Just from personal experience, exercising outside in the cold makes me cough/wheeze for a few minutes.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with asthma as an adult...when I lost the weight and got to a reasonable size, my asthma problems virtually disappeared...until yesterday when I went running and it was windy! Then, as you say...that old familiar feeling.

So, it could be that whatever is floating around in the air right now is something you're allergic to and then was exacerbated by the exercise. Since you're going to the doctor, I'm sure they can work with you to pinpoint the triggers!
  • dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I felt like i was reading my story when i read your post! I have no problems running indoors but always have problems out doors. I chalk it up to not being climate controlled. And its ALWAYS worse when its cold.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    the cold air can cause what they call "reactive airway." bronchospasm. I get that croupy upper airway sore cough/tightness from breathing cold air. Is that kind of what is going on with you, or is it still warm where you live?