C25K

Options
Hello Folks!

I am new within the last week to this site, and extra new to the idea of running. I have known people that have had great success with the Couch to 5K program, and I just did my first day tonight.

Just looking for anyone with advice about it that may have done the program, or who may be starting, or even those people halfway through!

Thanks!

Meg

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    C25K is an awesome program. My 2 points of advice:
    1) Don't QUIT! If you fail to do a week, just try it again, or backup a week. Don't feel like you have to complete it in the 9 weeks! Get lot's of buddies on here that have done it and can talk you through any questions/fears you have (I had HUGE fears on the first 25minute run).
    2) Don't jump ahead. If you feel it's to easy, that's ok. You are building your body up to be able to handle the longer runs later without injury

Feel free to add me!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Just an note: I use to run so I could eat more. Now I eat healthier, so I can run better.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    C25K grad from last fall, running my first half marathon next weekend...it works!
    Stick with it, even when it seems impossible...don't give up!
    Don't run your runs too quickly...you will need to build endurance, so even if your running seems like a fast walk, you are still running.
    Plan on finishing the program and then finding a race ASAP. I had about 5 weeks between week 9 and my first 5K and almost got burnt out...so plan on running a race not long after week 9.
    I hope this works out for you! It is a great program!
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    The race that I have in mind is not until July ( http://www.notsincemoses.com/ ), but I could find another 5K somewhere I am sure. Or at least keep it up until I find another one.

Last year I did the Not Since Moses 5K as a walk/run and it took me 58 minutes (mud, water, sand, clay), which was somewhat embarrassing since my dry land time was 40 minutes for a walk/run 5K. This year my goal is to at least do better than that! It is a ton of fun though if anyone ever wanted to make a trip to Nova Scotia in the summer months!
  • nixon76k
    Options
    I started it this week. Am loving it so far!
  • nixon76k
    Options
    Have to tried active.com??? They post running events on their site.. Maybe you could find some starter runs there too. :)
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'm not in very good shape, so I've been repeating the 1st week for the past 3 weeks, just to get myself in a better position. Plus, I recommend this, if you have any type of knee problems:

http://www.amazon.com/Imak-Knee-Strap-ErgoBead-Pressure/dp/B00169YA2S/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

(Sorry, I don't know how to make a link.....)

I use that when I can't use the elliptical to do the program, and it helps my weak knee immensely!!!

Best of luck to you in your new journey!!!!! :)
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am in week 6. I actually did week 4 for about 3 weeks. I really struggled with it, and then one day, something just "clicked." I did 2.5 miles today in 32 minutes, so I am so close! Definitely repeat weeks if you need to.
  • Donettem
    Options
    Starting on week 6! I am not an athletic person.. Never done sports in school, etc. the c25k program eased me into running so that I didn't come to hate running like many do when they do too much too fast (I hear at least). Because I work odd hours sometimes, I do it both outside and inside on the treadmill at home depending on my schedule. I don't have a iPod touch so I can't sync it to my own music so I switch it up.. I use the podcast the first go around so I can learn new info such as breathing patterns but also use my watch usually on the other 2x so I can listen to my own music or podcast. I'm always tempted to skip the cool down period and stretching but I've gotten To love Jillian michaels lately so I reward myself with tuning into her podcast after my last run interval when I do use the c25k podcast. Feel free to add me! Would love to hear about your progress!
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome!!! I just tonight completed Week 5 Day 3 my first full 20 minute run... I was really apprehensive about being able to run for 20 minutes straight. I was on the verge of tears after I finisheed cause I couldn't believe that I'd done it.

Like the others said Don't give up and repeat if you have to. You will gt stronger and it will get easier. Don't let the intervals scare you as you get further along. They are totally doable!!!

I love the couch to 5k program! I ran cross country in high school and then was in a motorcycle accident with my boyfriend at the time who is now my husband my junior summer and broke my pelvic bone in 3 places so that ended my running. So to be able to run again some 15/16 years later. I'm just so extremely happy that I found it and had the nerve to start it!
  • alicollins74
    alicollins74 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am about to finish week 2. I am already noticing a difference not only when I do the c25k but in my other workouts. My endurance has picked up.

Good luck with it...start it and don't give up!
  • Biglovelovesme
    Biglovelovesme Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am starting this weekend and I am (not quite sure why) terrified. I have committed to one of my best support pals on here that I would do a 5K with her by this Spring. Right now, I don't run, I barely walk. i am not in the worst shape of my life, but far from in 5k shape.
    I really really want this to happen...but maybe when you are 35lbs overweight and not that active it won't work..we shall see.
  • michellyn
    michellyn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I only got to week 3 (which I repeated a few times, so about 6 weeks time on it) and got busy and neglected it. But even that was a big boost to my endurance. I should get back to it.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm a C25K graduate..Oct 23rd. Since then I have run 2 5k's and a 5 mile cross country run, and some fun runs too. It is SOOOOOOOO worth every second you put into it. I went from running 5 min on day 1 to 7.25 miles this past Sunday.
    Do it..complete it... It WILL change your life for the better !!!!!

Good luck

~Dawn
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    C25K grad from the fall. I love the program and still run at least 3 times a week. I would suggest you stick with the program and don't push too hard too fast. Also, invest in a good pair of running shoes they will pay for themselves many times over.

Good luck and be prepared to get addicted to running.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm a C25K graduate, and I am currently working on the B210K program. My advice is to don't be afraid to advance. It's Ok to redo days, but don't let fear of what's coming up stop you from trying. Before the first 20 minute run, I stressed for days and considered backtracking . I decided to go ahead and try and surprised myself. The program is very well designed to keep you progressing at a reasonable pace. When I started, I was burned out after the first 60 seconds, now I can't imagine my life without running.
  • MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just an note: I use to run so I could eat more. Now I eat healthier, so I can run better.

I love this!!!
  • MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am doing the C25K right now. This advice comes from someone who is terrible at running, but I have a treadmill so I keep doing it. By terrible, I mean that I just seem to have a hard time building up stamina, and have only recently experienced the runners high, but it is so short. I think I have a mental bock with running I just can't shake.

Anyway, my advice is to keep at it. It takes me an average of 3 real weeks per c25k week, but it is important to me that I am able to do the routine without absolutely dying before I advance to the next week. Also, since i run on a treadmill, I can control the speed. someone suggested I go from 5.0 mph to 4.9 or 4.8, and I have to say it made all the difference in the world!!! I will work on my speed last, but endurance first.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am doing the C25K right now. This advice comes from someone who is terrible at running, but I have a treadmill so I keep doing it. By terrible, I mean that I just seem to have a hard time building up stamina, and have only recently experienced the runners high, but it is so short. I think I have a mental bock with running I just can't shake.

Anyway, my advice is to keep at it. It takes me an average of 3 real weeks per c25k week, but it is important to me that I am able to do the routine without absolutely dying before I advance to the next week. Also, since i run on a treadmill, I can control the speed. someone suggested I go from 5.0 mph to 4.9 or 4.8, and I have to say it made all the difference in the world!!! I will work on my speed last, but endurance first.

If you can...get OUTSIDE!!!! It is sooooooo much better and easier. When I run on the dreadmill I feel like a part of me dies inside... Seriously, I can't control how fast or slow I go and I can't relax and concentrate on what I am doing without feeling like i am gonna fall off the dang thing! Try your best to get outside at least one day. You won't regret it :)

~Dawn
  • cararq
    cararq Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    C25K is an awesome program. My 2 points of advice:
    1) Don't QUIT! If you fail to do a week, just try it again, or backup a week. Don't feel like you have to complete it in the 9 weeks! Get lot's of buddies on here that have done it and can talk you through any questions/fears you have (I had HUGE fears on the first 25minute run).
    2) Don't jump ahead. If you feel it's to easy, that's ok. You are building your body up to be able to handle the longer runs later without injury

Feel free to add me!

It really is an awesome program, and he's right ^^^. Don't QUIT!! I had to repeat week four because I felt like keeling over and dying in the ditch! :laugh: But I have a friend who says, "It's all in your head. If you can get past the hundred reasons going through your head why you should stop and walk home, your legs will be fine!" And now I'm finishing up week SEVEN!!! Woohoo! :happy:

So--Keep going!!! And add me if you want--MFP friends are GREAT at keeping me accountable! :smile: