Excess Skin?

Options
I have been wondering for a while about whether or not there is a way to prevent having excess skin after a major weight loss. My BEST guess would be to lose the weight slowly, and also do strength training rather than just cardio. I have looked up some things on it, but nothing that really makes me feel better. I don't want to have to undergo surgery. I'm 6' 276 lbs. I've been overweight my entire life, and I hope that once I do get down 100lbs, I won't have to deal with it. My biggest fear is that my skin has been stretched for so long, it may not be able to get back to how it's supposed to be.
If anyone could share stories, or has any helpful information, it would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you so much, and good luck to all of you! :happy:

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It completely depends on the person. Some people have big issues with it and some have none. How long you've been overweight, how overweight you are, your age, etc. can all be factors that apply to how much or how little loose skin you will have. Exercise and time are the only two things other than surgery that will make much of a difference. I've heard you should wait 1-2 years after major weight loss before considering skin removal surgery, as sometimes it will tighten back up sufficiently on it's own. Not sure how true that is, but it'd be worth a shot I guess.
  • 707janette
    707janette Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think,-(key word) think. You have a very good chance of having your skin mostly return to normal b/c you are so young. Your skin has plenty of elasticity in it. But if others have a different opinion --do not let that deter you from loosiing weight even if you do have a little excess you will be so much more healthy. Healthy is what really matters.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that this is a major issue for me. I am 5'10 and my highest weight was over 300 pounds. I have lost 90 so far and I have a lot of excess skin on my belly. I am young, helthy with good skin tone otherwise. I was not fat for my whole life and I have excess skin issues. I do have some on my upper arms and upper thight too but not enough that it keeps me from wearing tank tops or shorts. I would like top hope that it will tighten back up but I done know. I have not sen that happen for many people. Not trying to be discouraging in any way, but I do not want to offer false hope either. For now I just wear spanx or something calle s a "tunny tank" under my clothes if they are fitted. I really bugs me though because I did not lose all this weight to still have a muffin top in my jeans from excess skin!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    TexasNurseMom do you life weights? (fearing that's going to happen to me. My tummy is quite floppy)
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Lozze- Yes I do. And it has helped the arms and legs somewhat, but I fear there may be o hope for the tummy area. Plus I have has two c sections and I think that makes it worse
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I shed 80kg from age 20 - 22 .. so 2 years to lose most. And I have big problems with loose skin. I have it on my arms, legs, stomach, breasts. It's awful.
  • bmacholiday
    bmacholiday Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I worry about this too. I'm not young anymore, had a baby and have been overweight for awhile. I know excess skin will be a problem, it's the tummy I'm most worried about.