who works the night shift?

Options
I'm changing to the graveyard shift next month. Anybody out there got any healthy tips for eating on the night shift. If you work nights add me as a friend.

Replies

• BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I used to work the swing shift, and I found ways to workout on the job - lol
    It's no worse off for the company than those who screw around during the day at the water cooler or smoke lounge.

I sneak in some push-ups here, pull-ups there and before my shift was up, I'd have done a full body workout, including light cardio - even if it was just marching in place or dancing while performing my tasks.

Thank GOD there were no video cams!
  • jojoof4
    jojoof4 Posts: 120
    Options
    I work the night shift and have been using my breaks to get in my time on the treadmill. Im fortunate to have access during my shift.
  • themurph8910
    Options
    I have been working the mid night shift for almost 5 years and I try to stand up for about 15 minutes everyone hour or so. I also try to jump on the tredmill or the eliptical during my lunch break (which is at 530 or 6 am and I go home at 7) So i eat when I get home and snack healthy during my shift lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Hope that helps.
  • jabaa91
    jabaa91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    when i did night shift, i slept all day would have a really light snack before i started, then i would take in things like porridge or home made soup to eat on my breaks, with loads of fruit to fill me up. everyone brought in sweets and biscuits so was quite hard to resist!
  • navynurse1611
    navynurse1611 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been on nights for 10 years. I have done WW and sparkpeople, but I am new to MFP. I usually eat the dinner I cook with the family when I get up( about 5). It is my big meal. I work 12 hour nights. Then, I eat a snack about 9 or 10pm. I eat my lunch about 12 or 1 depending on my patients. Then I eat some breakfast (oatmeal or cereal or something) about 5 or 6 so by the time I am home It is digested. I just do my meals backwards and it helps. I am not sure how to log this for MFP. I have always logged my days from MN to MN or 6am to 6am....so we will see how this works. Either way, eat regularly...it is your day and you still need the energy as if you were up during the day.