I'm so confused, is zumba low impact or high impact?

Options
It makes me die, I've heard that is can burn up to 1000 calories an hour and I've heard like 400 calories an hour. It's driving me nuts.

Replies

• healthchick
    healthchick Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use this as my guide to calories burnt.

http://www.zumbacalories.com/.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Low, for sure. Plyometrics would be high.

1000 cals an hour? Don't think anything will do that
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Though websites with calculators that estimate calories burned are better than nothing at all, I never trusted them so I invested in a HRM. 1 hr of Zumba for me averages 700-900 calories.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Websites arent going to be as accurate as an hrm, and YES i have burnt 1000 cals doing zumba for an hour. I think you can increase your output and get a greater burn on Anything!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Damn double posts!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Zumba can be either high or low impact. I hurt my knee and the instructor would show me the low impact version of what she was doing.

I burn more calories doing the high impact version, more bouncing etc.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    You talking intensity or impact? Calorie burn rate would be intensity. How hard it hits the joints would be impact.
  • nebgurl
    nebgurl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    G'Morning! Zumba can be both Low and high "INTENSITY" depending on the instructor and students. I teach a variety of both because the fitness level of my students changes over time and I want to challenge them. The fitness idea of zumba is to create interval training. I was reading the tread and there seems to be some discrepancy about how many calories one can burn.... To that- as a fitness traininer, I say the best way to monitor calories is to get a heart rate monitor. Every body is different. I can burn anywhere from 400 to over 1000 calories depending on my level of engaged intensity. I simply depends on the level of engagement unique to every person. Hope this helps!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    When I do Zumba it's low impact but high intensity. I focus a lot on tightening my core and moving my hips. I dip deep into lunging type moves, try to lift my legs high, etc but I don't do any of the jumping moves that would put impact on my feet and knees. I also don't do the twisting type of moves that really hurt my knees.
  • inspirem
    inspirem Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It is both high and low intensity...your instructor should be doing both fast paced intense dance moves and slower less intense dance moves within that hour...think of it as increasing your heart rate, then slowing it down, increase it, then decrease it, back and forth! And the amount of calories burned depends on your own emphasis of the moves...more emphasis, more calories burned!