MS and exercise

Options
I have a friend and she has Multiple sclerosis

(MS) is a potentially debilitating disease in which your body's immune system eats away at the protective sheath that covers your nerves. This interferes with the communication between your brain and the rest of your body. Ultimately, this may result in deterioration of the nerves themselves, a process that's not reversible.

Symptoms vary widely, depending on the amount of damage and which nerves are affected. People with severe cases of multiple sclerosis may lose the ability to walk or speak. Multiple sclerosis can be difficult to diagnose early in the course of the disease because symptoms often come and go — sometimes disappearing for months.

There's no cure for multiple sclerosis. However treatments can help treat attacks, modify the course of the disease and treat symptoms

My friends is small 5'0 and 125 pounds but she says she wants to lose a 10-15 pounds as she feels she is getting bigger cause she cant exercise like she used to. She cant run, and walking is an issue, she doesn''t know how to swim and she is only allowed to bike for 5 minutes a day per her therapist and she basically cant get real hot and over heat herself because it kinds cooks her if she does.

She is gonna have to do more of this with diet than with exercise, anyone have any ideas.

Replies

• deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    See a nutritionist and/or a personal trainer?
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Check your local Y or gym. Most of them offer water exercise classes that aren't aerobics. They are designed for older people with joint problems. The one at my gym is in 3-1/2 foot deep water so swimming isn't necessary. The Y usually offers swimming lessons too. It's never too late to learn and it's easy on the joints.
  • kodigirl17
    kodigirl17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    They have items that help to keep your core temp under control. This will allow her to do more without overheating. I have also found that if I drink very cold water while exercising I'm able to excercise longer. Good luck to her!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Tell her to really enjoy her life now.

Trust me, it's absolute heaven where she is now compared to where it will end up...
  • SherryGirl
    Options
    Hello. I have MS too. It is a struggle every day to keep moving but I do! It is hard to get any help from anyone, as you probably realized not many people really understand what comes along with MS. I take DMT and a lot of additional vitamins to help with the symptoms. Take one day at a time, each day trying to increase your walking distance just to build sternum, Nero's orders for me. It is really heard in the summer for me as well, but my pool is a my savior. Drinking ICE water helps cool me down from the inside out when working out, and after cold showers. Heat is a killer and main trigger for fatigue. I have learned I have to take control of my health and do what is best for me. Everyone is different but trying to keep a positive attitude and minimizing stress is a major help. Friend me if you would like to talk... would be happy to help. As you know sometimes this MS makes one feel helpless... LOL hope this helps!!