I'm on a plateu...need advice

So I have successfully lost 45 lbs in 5 months....I am allowed 1,300 cals per day and workout 6 days a week for 2 1/2 hours..that pretty much burns about 950 cals per day...haven't lost anything for 2 weeks..I know this is normal..but any of you have any suggestions on how to get out of a plateu????????

Replies

• moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    You're not eating enough for the amount you're working out. Try upping your calories. It works. Also, try changing your goal to only lose 1lb or .5lb per week. You can also try calorie cycling (zig-zagging). Get a profile on freedieting.com. Make sure you're eating exercise calories back. I even found taking a break from exercising can jump start weightloss. People say a self-imposed week break can do wonders.
  • rnstarr
    rnstarr Posts: 15 Member
    Increase your calorie intake for a couple of days, then go back to 1300. Just like a car uses a little extra gas to get over a hill, the body needs a little more energy to make it over the plateau. Good Luck!
  • Please please don't get discouraged..... I was on a plateau as well for a week. I lost 1 pound and I'm hanging in there. Don't lose site of your goal.

It's worth it in the long run. Put up a picture of yourself or someone that inspires you. :flowerforyou:

Elena.... Mother of 3.....:heart:
  • penmosha
    penmosha Posts: 132 Member
    yes its normal. there is some great advice in the previous posts. I've plateued twice now, but on each occasion, i dropped weight again after about 3 weeks of increasing intake by a couple of hundred calories.
    Just dont get too disheartened and quit or sabotage your efforts.
  • I agree with moylie as well. However, try cycling your carbs a little bit. This keeps you burning fat at a higher rate. You can also try adding spices such as: Chili peppers, curry, or anything with capsacin in it. Capsacin acts a natural thermogenic and will help you burn fat too!!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Seriously, do NOT reduce calories any more.
    Try incorporating a heavy eat day to shock your metabolism. What has happened is that your body has down regulated your results, and that's normal. It happens to us all, so we need to always change what we do.
    Change up our diets, exercises to always stay one step ahead of our physiology that is still unevolved from when we lived as human hunters and gatherers running for our very lives in the wild.

If you're really into cardio, try resistance more. If you are jogging 4 miles, try swimming 3 miles. It's things like this that help us keep off those inevitable plateaus.

GOOD LUCK!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    You're not eating enough for the amount you're working out. Try upping your calories. It works. Also, try changing your goal to only lose 1lb or .5lb per week. You can also try calorie cycling (zig-zagging). Get a profile on freedieting.com. Make sure you're eating exercise calories back. I even found taking a break from exercising can jump start weightloss. People say a self-imposed week break can do wonders.

I agree..
  • Wow...thanks to all for the advice...I did notice that I was feeling a little sluggish during my workouts lately. I will never get discouraged because everyone here won't let me!!! I know what I need to do now...again thanks!!!! :):smile:
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 406 Member
    and sometimes NONE of that advice will work - you are just in a plateau and it means you treat it like maintenance. I've been in a plateau for 10 months...but I keep on with everything. Sometimes it just happens and no amount of manipulation will change it. It's okay. It is still worth being fit and healthy!
  • I've been stuck for 3 weeks also. I've taken days off from exercising, eaten more, eaten less.....thanks for all the advice on here. I've been feeling a little bummed about the scale lately.....only 10 pounds to go and feel like it's never going to come off.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Your net should be at least 1200 - so that means eat your exercise calories. Typically, you need to increase your calories the closer you get to your goal because your body is doing things easier as it gets used to certain things, i.e.: exercise. So, the more in shape you get, the harder it is to burn calories or lose weight.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    I was on a plateau for about 3 months of losing and gaining the same amount of weight in the same range. anyway I didn't take a real break but didn't exercise for about a week, and watched what I ate and then ate more. eating more will break your plateau especially if you burn that much, I love exercising so that was deff. one of my problems not eating enough. good luck
  • Thank you all for the advice...I have lost 3 lbs this week...just by eating more!!!!! :):smile:
  • mgaje
    mgaje Posts: 43 Member
    some great ideas here.... i too have been on a plateu for the last few weeks and was starting to get a little discouraged....new things to consider now