Water Toxicity....and Don't argue with me

Options
OK. I just got out of the hospital after being there for 3 days. Late Tuesday night I passed out, then I passed out again, then I passed out again and again over a period of 20 minutes. I became unresponsive and my 17 year old daughter found me face down in our hallway on our hardwood floor. I now have a black eye from hitting my head on the hardwood floor and I have majorly bruised ribs and chest bones from hitting my nightstand. The final diagnosis....DEHYDRATION! I have been an advocate for drinking water, and plenty of it. As a result, the nutrients from everything I ate and drank (even protein drinks) was being flushed right through me. I was gaining nothing at all from what I was eating, nutrition-wise. What I failed to take into consideration was I the face that I was also getting water through the food I ate and the milk I drank, etc. When I'm told to drink water....that's exactly what I drink....WATER! Let this be a lesson to you. I'm 50 years old, 5"4.5" and I weight 135 lbs. I'm going to post the gross, disgusting black eye I have as a result. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE learn from MY mistake. I was discharged from the hospital last night and I'm not even feeling 70% myself YET. So, if you think I'm wrong, please don't post it. I'm really not in the mood to deal with bullcrap this morning. Thank you.

Replies

• midnight8
    Options
    How much water were you drinking? I hope you start feeling Better soon!! That doesn't sound fun.....
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from eight 8 oz glasses to twelve 8 oz. glasses.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people getting in trouble from over hydrating, but I'd imaging it'd be different for everyone (In terms of how much it takes).
    But I hope you feel better... I would maybe try and slow down your drinking, or drink before meals?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Overdrinking water may have been your issue, but you didn't say how much you were drinking. I drink almost a gallon a day with no issues, but I'm also sure to keep my electrolytes balanced. Get well soon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • michellyn
    michellyn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Not arguing--just trying to understand. How can we get dehydrated while drinking water? Is there a way to drink water that leads to greater hydration (i.e. sipping vs. downing a whole glass at once)? I believe you about water toxicity--once when I had a sinus infection, I drank way too much water attempting to relieve the symptoms and actually made myself jittery and feverish feeling.
  • michellyn
    michellyn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I drink almost a gallon a day with no issues, but I'm also sure to keep my electrolytes balanced.
    Can you explain how to do that?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Micronutrients?
    What are you eating?
    How often?
    Do you have any kidney disease in your family tree?
    Liver issues?
    Zoiks!
    8-10 glasses shouldnt do that to a person.

When I first started weight loss I used to get horrible heartburn from water.
    =(
    Now I drink 8-12 a day.
  • alerica1
    Options
    "Endurance sportsMarathon runners are susceptible to water intoxication if they drink too much while running. This is caused when sodium levels drop below 135 mmol/L when athletes consume large amounts of fluid. This has been noted to be the result of the encouragement of excessive fluid replacement by various guidelines. This has largely been identified in marathon runners as a dilutional hyponatremia.[5] Medical personnel at marathon events are trained to suspect water intoxication immediately when runners collapse or show signs of confusion"
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Wow! How horrible for you and your daughter. I hope you get back to 100% soon!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    That is a normal amount to drink for hydration. Did the doctors do additional tests to see about other underlying problems causing dehydration? If not, I'd see your regular doc and discuss to make sure there isn't something else causing this.
  • alerica1
    Options
    No kidney, liver, or any other diseases run in my family. I had an EEG, EKS, CT Scans, Spiral CT scan of chest, ultrasound of carotid arteries, etc. While I was in the hospital I saw a neurologist, cardiologist, ER doctor, etc. Every single test they could run, they did. Final diagnosis Water Toxicity. All I am saying is I want those of you who were doing what I was doing to learn a lesson. Make sure you get the proper sodium and electrolytes otherwise all of these things will be flushed out of your system and you could end up like me. This is no fun, trust me.
  • KMcBandit
    Options
    Oh my.. Feel better! My husband is a scientist he's talked to me about this before the water from foods etc so I tend to drink half the normal amount required and seem to be ok.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Many people will know I have been an advocate of "you get water from lots of other sources" since i joined.

I'm sorry you had to go through this. But at least now you know, and hopefully your story will convince others. :)
  • alerica1
    Options
    Oh my.. Feel better! My husband is a scientist he's talked to me about this before the water from foods etc so I tend to drink half the normal amount required and seem to be ok.

EXCELLENT!!!!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    "Endurance sportsMarathon runners are susceptible to water intoxication if they drink too much while running. This is caused when sodium levels drop below 135 mmol/L when athletes consume large amounts of fluid. This has been noted to be the result of the encouragement of excessive fluid replacement by various guidelines. This has largely been identified in marathon runners as a dilutional hyponatremia.[5] Medical personnel at marathon events are trained to suspect water intoxication immediately when runners collapse or show signs of confusion"

this is definitely true, and infact you will often see medical professionals handing out salt packets at endurance races beacuse you are not meant to drink a cup of water at every single stop, but most rookies will do so and end up with the condition described above. Drink some gatorade or similar at these things to get some electrolytes

what I still dont understand though is how it resulted in dehydration? like the other posted, just trying to understand.
  • alerica1
    Options
    That is a normal amount to drink for hydration. Did the doctors do additional tests to see about other underlying problems causing dehydration? If not, I'd see your regular doc and discuss to make sure there isn't something else causing this.

There wasn't a single test they DIDN'T run on me.
  • alerica1
    Options

this is definitely true, and infact you will often see medical professionals handing out salt packets at endurance races beacuse you are not meant to drink a cup of water at every single stop, but most rookies will do so and end up with the condition described above. Drink some gatorade or similar at these things to get some electrolytes

what I still dont understand though is how it resulted in dehydration? like the other posted, just trying to understand.

My body wouldn't RETAIN the necessary water to keep me hydrated.....since I had low sodium and my electrolytes were being flushed out of my body by the water....the end result is DEHYDRATION!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    But are you a marathon runner? This evidence would only apply to them since they are running for more than 2 hours straight without any consumption of food. And as mentioned electrolyte balance is off.
    Yours sounds different than this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a horrible experience! Glad you are back home.

I'm curious, how many calories did you eat that day and the days before? How many calories did you burn in exercise that day and the days before? What are your maintenance cals?
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I am also 5' 4.75" and 135lbs. I drink anywhere from 8-14 glasses of water a day and have had no problems. Everyone is different. There are a lot of factors that go into medical issues such as this (what you are eating, electrolyte levels, medical history, etc.). 8 glasses of water is not a problem for most statistically or it would not be a recommended daily allowance.