OW! Lower back pain from running???

Options
HI, I've been running for several years and it has helped me to lost over 50 lbs. I have ran 5ks for the past several years and I have now set a goal to run my first half marathon by next spring. Safe to say, as of recently I have upped my running time. Instead of running here and there I have ran atleast a mile, usually more, everytime I have gone to the gym. I woke up this morning w/ SEVERE low back pain! Last time i experienced anything like this was when I fell and bruised my tail bone! Could my increase in running cause this? I ran yesterday morning and had no problems, but i feel like its could be that late ache your muscles get sometimes. Any tips to help the pain and prevent it from coming back would be great!

Also, Friend me! always looking for more support and to give it!

Replies

• bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I have slept funny and awoke with back pain...... I have not heard of back pain from running. It seems more stressfull on feet, legs and knees.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Duplicate.... deleted
  • atomicpunk1974
    Options
    I have experienced some intense lower back pain from running as well, but when I have it has usually set in while I was running. I think that for me it's only a problem if I'm too tense while I'm running. What helped for me was focusing on my breathing as a way of relaxing during my run. I don't know if that would help for you, but it works for me.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don't really have an answer for you. I've recently gotten back into running after a two year hiatus due to a knee injury. I tend to get severe lower back pain if I over do it at the gym, whether through running or anything else. It's possible that you've just pushed yourself too hard.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    Many runners exerpience lower back pain because running is a repetitive motion that works the same muscles. If you aren't doing other exercises to provide a muscular counterbalance certain muscles become stronger while others can't keep up. This can lead to alignment problems.

It could also be tightness in your calf muscles. Many people don't realize, but this area impacts your lower back. Be sure to stretch your legs thoroughly after your run.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    How is your running posture? If you are slouching forward a bit, it could be bothering your lower back - make sure you stand up straight and tall when you run!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen and I run less of it.
    A Dr gave me some great stretches that help.
    They are hard to describe, but if you send me a message, I will try.
  • Cowenlaw1
    Cowenlaw1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I used to have terrible lower back pain. Now I rarely have any. Here are some of the things I do:

1. I try to maintain good posture when I run, standing up straight instead of slouching forward.
    2. I warm up by walking for a few minutes before I run.
    3. I stretch after I run.
    4. I get a massage every couple of weeks.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Could also be from tight hamstrings- tight hammies can lead to lower back pain.
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yep, unequal strength. As a runner, you are really working your hamstrings (back of your thigh). If your hamstrings are becoming stronger, and you don't do extra work on your quads (front of your thigh) you will notice backache from your hamstrings pulling your back out of alignment. Easiest way to fix it? Build your quads. Do squats, lunges, and wall sits. Not an instant fix, but will balance you out in the long run. Also, as you prepare for your race, remember not to increase your weekly mileage too quickly. Follow a published plan to keep the increases manageable. Have a great race!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you're running on a treadmill, do you have your incline bumped up a bit to simulate outdoor running? Running at zero incline feels weird to me since I started running outside, and I have to have it at 1.5 or 2 to feel like I'm landing normal.