Suggestions??

Options
I'm new here (two weeks or so) and here is what is going on. Three weeks ago I started my weight loss journey. It was a good time to start as I was sick and stressed and lost 5 pounds due to that. I joined here and lost another 5 pounds right away. Now for the last week, I haven't lost anything. Nothing. I have been working out more, and keeping my calories in check. Originally I was working out 30 minutes a day and for the last week I have bumped that up to an hour a day.

Am I just being impatient? I was just hoping to see at least a 1lb loss this past week. Even a half a pound. By no means am I ready to give up, but wondering if this is just a normal part of the process.

Replies

• Diane4499
    Options
    You had two good losses there...your body may think it is in starvation mode...especially if you are not eating the correct amt. of calories...you will do that from time to time...and it will pick right back up...very discouraging as I have done the same but am finally where I had hoped to be and on my way to maintaining...but there were weeks when I would not lose an ounce then the next week it may be a lb...but with two good weeks think about what you have accomplished there...think positive...and it will happen...
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Am I just being impatient?

Probably. Weight loss is often non-linear.
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would give it more time before you start panicking. The first two weeks your body goes through a lot of changes and the fast weight loss in the beginning is usually mostly water weight. It will then slow down as the body adjusts to the new routine.

I lost 11 pounds right off the bat in the first 2 weeks and then nothing for 3 weeks!!! Then it slowly started coming back off.

Remember...this is not a race. It's a lifestyle change. If you treat it as a fast weight loss plan, you'll never learn how to eat right and keep it off.
  • bump040510
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!

My weight hasn't been an issue for most of my life, but I had a baby 20 months ago and it was a really hard pregnancy. I got sick with H1N1 and it really took a toll on me. I ended up gaining soooooo much weight, and it just hasn't come off. I'm 40, so I guess I should have never assumed that it would come off like it did after I had babies in my 20's!

I am happy with the 10 I have already lost, and will just try to keep that in mind. I'm confidant that more will follow!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You've probably packed on loads of muscle
  • bump040510
    Options
    That could be part of it. I'm working out and I do have sore muscles from time to time, so I guess they are growing! Thanks for reminding me!
  • AmandaR321
    AmandaR321 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    That was pretty quick to lose 10lbs. You're doing great. Keep it up and the weight will come off, though not necessarily consistently the same amount each week. I usually average 1-2lbs/week but that includes a lot of no change weeks and a few 4-5lbs/weeks.
  • cindy_184
    cindy_184 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yeah the same thing is happening to me I have lost 11 pounds and now nothing. I had a baby five months ago and I do workout an hour at least four times a week. I hope that I began loosing weight soon
  • spiritwolf13
    spiritwolf13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You had 2 amazing losses. and we all plateau every now and again. Be proud of what you lost so far. Eventually you will see the lbs drop on the scale. Also if you have not, take your measurements if you do not see it on the scale you maybe loosing inches and if you are exercing especially any strenght training you maybe building lean muscle Good luck and add me if you like