Am I putting too much effort/though into weight loss?

Options
Hello All,

I'm April Joy and a year ago I lost 30 pounds and over the course of the year I gained 24 back due to stress, classes, mother being ill (excuses but things I couldn't control). Before when I lost weight I ate bread, pasta, rice, and etc but in moderation. I ate every three hours and worked out 6 days a week to Turbo Fire. I was able to lose the weight successfully without any help of a diet or restricting certain foods. I lost the weight by counting calories and burning more than I ate.

Now I'm on the fat smash diet and looking into the 17 day diet as well for tips and I feel like I'm doing too much. Should I continue with this new journey with limiting my foods and not eating starches for days on end or do what worked for me in the past? Right now it's day 2 of no meat, sweets, or bread just fruits, vegetables, beans, and vegetable based soups until Day 9 when I introduce meat back into my diet.

Thanks and all comments and feedback is appreciated.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    well good for you for coming back. since you did it a year ago and now are doing it again, why not skip the fad diets and such and just decide that you want this for the rest of your life? eat well...get exercise...have fun... good luck!
  • classyhoney
    classyhoney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    well good for you for coming back. since you did it a year ago and now are doing it again, why not skip the fad diets and such and just decide that you want this for the rest of your life? eat well...get exercise...have fun... good luck!

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I want to make this a lifestyle change and I've never been the type of person that restricted myself from eating. The 17 day diet and fat smash diet seems practical but I'm just not happy. We'll see what the scale says tomorrow morning. I was a lot happier being able to eat what I want in moderation and workout 45 plus minutes.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I say go for what makes you happy and what obviously worked well for you in the past. You obviously did a great job last time. You know it works so stick with it! Stress is not good for general health or weightloss. Don't stress yourself out if you don't have to. :-)
  • MsCyone
    MsCyone Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Its up to you, make your decision based on what feels best to you,personally I've done both the Fat Smash and currently cycling through the 17 day diet. A year and a half ago I lost about 40 lbs with the FSD, its hard at first but worth the results to me, I learned a love of fruit and vegetables after the detox and going through to the Temple phase I learned a lot of great habits. But of course as with any diet or lifestyle change we unexpected things happen and I gained it back.Back in August I started the 17 day diet and currently following cycle 4, I learned with it what my body tolerates and it seems that taking out starchy carbs and upping my water intake, currently I'm down about 75 lbs just from the principles I've learned with. Don't give it too much thought, or obsess about what you think you should be doing, if you can do it with a "diet" go for it. :) Either way it shows you can succeed, good luck diva you can do this!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I'm April Joy and a year ago I lost 30 pounds and over the course of the year I gained 24 back due to stress, classes, mother being ill (excuses but things I couldn't control). Before when I lost weight I ate bread, pasta, rice, and etc but in moderation. I ate every three hours and worked out 6 days a week to Turbo Fire. I was able to lose the weight successfully without any help of a diet or restricting certain foods. I lost the weight by counting calories and burning more than I ate.

Now I'm on the fat smash diet and looking into the 17 day diet as well for tips and I feel like I'm doing too much. Should I continue with this new journey with limiting my foods and not eating starches for days on end or do what worked for me in the past? Right now it's day 2 of no meat, sweets, or bread just fruits, vegetables, beans, and vegetable based soups until Day 9 when I introduce meat back into my diet.

Diets DON'T work unless you expect to eat that way the REST OF YOUR LIFE. This is why many gain weight back. Weight loss is about calories in and calories out. Don't go over your deficit and you'll lose weight. I tell my clients to eat what they like but stay within calorie limits. As long as they are getting in their essentials and do that, they will get results. And they do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • classyhoney
    Options
    Its up to you, make your decision based on what feels best to you,personally I've done both the Fat Smash and currently cycling through the 17 day diet. A year and a half ago I lost about 40 lbs with the FSD, its hard at first but worth the results to me, I learned a love of fruit and vegetables after the detox and going through to the Temple phase I learned a lot of great habits. But of course as with any diet or lifestyle change we unexpected things happen and I gained it back.Back in August I started the 17 day diet and currently following cycle 4, I learned with it what my body tolerates and it seems that taking out starchy carbs and upping my water intake, currently I'm down about 75 lbs just from the principles I've learned with. Don't give it too much thought, or obsess about what you think you should be doing, if you can do it with a "diet" go for it. :) Either way it shows you can succeed, good luck diva you can do this!
    [/quote

Thanks for your comment and the 17 day diet seems very similar to what I've been eating already minus the pasta, bread, cereal, and etc. Eliminating starches has helped and I've lost 2 pounds in 2 days from doing the detox phase of FSD and it probably would have been more if I was working out. I'm going to stick with it and see what happens.
  • classyhoney
    Options
    Hello All,

Diets DON'T work unless you expect to eat that way the REST OF YOUR LIFE. This is why many gain weight back. Weight loss is about calories in and calories out. Don't go over your deficit and you'll lose weight. I tell my clients to eat what they like but stay within calorie limits. As long as they are getting in their essentials and do that, they will get results. And they do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thanks for your feedback
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of everything in moderation. If it worked for you before, then go back to it. You've just got to learn to continue to eat at reasonable levels even in time of stress. It's hard but exercise really helps manage the stress better than eating ever can. My mother passed away in September. I started to turn to emotional eating to get through it but after a month or so decided that was dumb and turned to weight lifting instead. Go back to what worked for you before.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    One thing that I always find in common with people who say they gained the weight back after a diet was for some kind of emotional reason; stress, loss of loved one, etc., which we're seeing a lot of on this very post. That's why when I gained back 30 lost pounds from Medifast (stay away from that one!!!!) I knew there was something more than just lack of willpower. So last January I came to this conclusion that I would be stuck in this cycle unless I addressed the reasons why I emotionally eat. It was TOUGH to do, but since February I've managed to lose 50 pounds. Not the fastest out there, and I'd still like to lose more, but perhaps the biggest victory is that I no longer use food like I used to.

I'd highly recommend the book "Shrink Youself" by Dr. Richard Gould. It made me ask myself a lot of tough questions and I learned so much. Best of luck, whatever you do!