Water Toxicity....and Don't argue with me

Options

Replies

• bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    That is why they recommend athletes to drink sports drinks to replenish sodium, potassium, and other electrolytes. In this instance, doing what you were suppose to do turned into a bad thing. IMO, and experience, the water was flushing everything out via waste and sweat, but there was nothing to replace those needed nutrients to keep your bp at a normal level. Something similar happened to a friend of mine, and the Dr. basically said the same thing: some people can maintain their nutrients and don't need replenishing drinks while being athletic, while others NEED to have them (which is why they were created in the first place), low bp and passing out = low sodium. But your right, this actually is the definition of water toxicity. It's not an overdose of water, it's when the water flushes out all of the goodies!!
    . . . Soooo, have you made up some death-defying heroic tale to tell those who ask about the black eye?! (I have done that before, it's hilarious!)
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Creepy. Did you get any warning signs, feeling weird, anything? I guess this is a sign not to drink water just to try to get in what MFP says you should (instead, drink when I'm thirsty), but surely thirst won't lead me wrong, right?

PS - feel better!!! thanks for sharing. :)
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Very interesting.... Thanks for posting this!
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    First to other posters: everyone's body is different!! They react differently

When I drink more water i seem to get dizzy easier. I would drink at least a gallon a day. I talked to my doctor about getting dizzy and he said to make sure I was getting enough water. lol

Feel better!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Creepy. Did you get any warning signs, feeling weird, anything? I guess this is a sign not to drink water just to try to get in what MFP says you should (instead, drink when I'm thirsty), but surely thirst won't lead me wrong, right?

PS - feel better!!! thanks for sharing. :)

I think they say you need to drink BEFORE you are thirsty. If you feel thirst, you are already dehydrated. That's what I've heard anyway. People can correct me if I'm wrong :)
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Wow...that's pretty scary! My husband keeps telling me about my water intake as well...I guess we should listen to our bodies more and simply drink when we are thirsty instead of trying to meet a certain number.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    How scary!
    Perhaps your body just reacts this way? I know I drink a gallon a day sometimes with no issues. I love water and I don't force myself to drink it, I just do.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/side_effects/dehydration.jsp

"Don't rely on feeling thirsty to tell if you're getting enough water. You may not feel thirsty until you've already lost quite a bit of water, so try to drink throughout the day. An easy way to tell if you're getting enough water is to look at the color of your urine. If your urine is pale to clear, you're probably getting enough water. If it's dark, it's more concentrated, which means you are becoming dehydrated. Try to increase the amount of water and other liquids you drink. (Multivitamins can sometimes darken urine, so keep that in mind if you're taking one.)"

I know it is a breast cancer site, but the basic principle applies to everyone I'm sure since I've heard it elsewhere before.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First to other posters: everyone's body is different!! They react differently

When I drink more water i seem to get dizzy easier. I would drink at least a gallon a day. I talked to my doctor about getting dizzy and he said to make sure I was getting enough water. lol

Feel better!

Thank you for posting this!! There are so many factors behind hydration (over, under or normal) that you can't just say "I got over hydrated becuase I drank 8 cups of water today". Everyone has different diets and activity levels and may drink more liquids than just water or eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies so they get liquids that way. You just never know.

I personally like to give people the advice to drink water slowly (sip, don't chug) and to monitor your urine color, as posted above from the breast cancer site.
  • wallyg7
    wallyg7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    "Endurance sportsMarathon runners are susceptible to water intoxication if they drink too much while running. This is caused when sodium levels drop below 135 mmol/L when athletes consume large amounts of fluid. This has been noted to be the result of the encouragement of excessive fluid replacement by various guidelines. This has largely been identified in marathon runners as a dilutional hyponatremia.[5] Medical personnel at marathon events are trained to suspect water intoxication immediately when runners collapse or show signs of confusion"
    u

this is definitely true, and infact you will often see medical professionals handing out salt packets at endurance races beacuse you are not meant to drink a cup of water at every single stop, but most rookies will do so and end up with the condition described above. Drink some gatorade or similar at these things to get some electrolytes

what I still dont understand though is how it resulted in dehydration? like the other posted, just trying to understand.

My body wouldn't RETAIN the necessary water to keep me hydrated.....since I had low sodium and my electrolytes were being flushed out of my body by the water....the end result is DEHYDRATION!

Bingo
  • michellyn
    michellyn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    How do you balance your electrolytes? I don't want to drink sugary drinks like Gatorade!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to what you were eating, too. Is it from too much water, or from not enough sodium plus too much water?
  • tchrklm
    tchrklm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My body obviously doesn't require a whole lot of extra hydration to "feel" satisfied. If I didn't force it, I could easily drink just 4 cups of coffee a day and be fine. Drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water a day is very difficult for me and I'm lucky if I can get 2 in on my easier exercise days.

What a horrible experience for you and hope you're feeling closer to 100% soon.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    SIADH. If no one mentioned it to you during your hospital stay, make an appointment Monday morning to ask your doctor.
  • wallyg7
    wallyg7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This guy drank too much water (like at every water stop) while losing electrolytes:
    [img]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x326/wallyg7/Pics for MFP/dehydration.jpg[/img]
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Some people swear by drinking insane amounts of water...but I feel comfortable around the 6-8 glasses mark. I typically don't drink anything else other than 2 cups of coffee/daily. And wine. :wink:

I signed up for one of the MFP challenges not long ago - one of the requirements was to drink 100 oz. daily. Because of that, I dropped out. That's far too much for me personally.
  • abbyarena
    Options
    Addison's?
  • Dellie22
    Dellie22 Posts: 167
    Options
    This guy drank too much water (like at every water stop) while losing electrolytes:

[img]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x326/wallyg7/Pics for MFP/dehydration.jpg[/img]

Ew. Has he done what I think he's done?. ....
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Based on my own reading, I understand that hyponatremia (over-hydration) is a big problem for organized marathon events. I think the idea of "you should drink even if you're not thirsty" is nearly as stupid as "you should eat even if you're not hungry", which is what got a lot of people including me fat.

That said, I do drink more than the usual person does, because of a long history of kidney stones. My doc says keep the kidneys flushed, but make sure to take in enough sodium and potassium to stay balanced. I think that may be where you're missing out, OP. How are your sodium levels? Is it possible you need a touch more salt/potassium in your diet? Salt is easy to get more of. Bananas, avocados, and potatoes are high in potassium.

Other high-potassium foods are listed at http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm

Good luck OP, and I hope you feel better real soon.