Windburn from running

Options
I did a search and didn't find any topics so I need good ideas for something to put on my face before I run to avoid getting wind and cold burn. I run in the early a.m. before the sun comes up and while it's not that cold here it was in the low 30s at 5 am today. My face gets horribly red and stays that way for hours. Any suggestions?

Replies

• smitslmt
    smitslmt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, tough one. I would say the best thing would be to keep covered up as much as possible. Are you putting sunscreen on before you run? I know that is more for sunburn, but the moisture might be a protective layer for the wind as well.... especially for the lips. The other thought might be to use a VERY THIN layer of some sort of emollient (such as petroleum jelly) before you run. I personally am not a fan of using products with petroleum because of the barrier they put on your skin which does not allow toxins, etc to escape; however, it might help in this case. Or maybe even some Vitamin E?? Not sure how that works out with sweating, etc either. I suggest not wash your face before your run so that they natural oils can protect you from the elements as well. Not sure if this helped any, but hope you find a solution because windburn is NOT FUN!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I bought a special moisturizer for cold weather activity for my face. It is sweat resistant and has sunscreen. I dont know if that would solve your problem, but it is worth a try.
    I am in Canada, the brand is Marcelle. I know it is a Canadian company so don't know where else it might be available.
    This is the stuff
    http://marcellecosmetics.com/Produits/Soins-de-la-peau/Par-Soin/Soins-hydratants/Laits-demaquillants/Lotion-protectrice-Climatik.aspx
  • KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 110
    Options
    Try a buff bandana worn like a neck gaitor...you can pull it up to be a balaclava or down when you get warm.
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You can get neck gators that pull up over the face - but that would also block your mouth.

The Alaskan solution: duct tape. I'm serious! You can get much more precise coverage than with a face mask. Snow mobile riders in the Yukon 500 wear duct tape on their face. The guy who won the race the last 2 years did a presentation at our school (because his daughter is a student there) and he put the duct tape on during the presentation. He's done it so often that he can do it without a mirror. His advice: shave before you put it on or you'll be sorry!
  • qwills2cats
    qwills2cats Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas!