HRM and MFP calculations and Machine Calculations

Options
Hi everyone! I have used a heart rate monitor for a few years. My old one (which I lost) was one of the polar one that also kept track of calories which I loved. I lost it, bought a new one a year ago, and realized it didn't have calories which didn't really bother me until recently. I've mainly been working out for a certain number of minutes, doing intervals, and really just keeping my target heart rate in the ranges that I've been aiming for. However, I am NOW wanting to be diligent about tracking pretty accurately (as much as possible) the amount of calories I am burning. Up until this point I've mainly been logging my food choices into MFP. So my question is, should I type my weight into the cardio machines and go off of that...even though I've heard those aren't the most accurate? Also how accurate is MFP for the calculations on things that don't have a machine to gauge for example when I take a spin class or something that doesn't allow me to input my weight etc. OR should I just suck it up and spend the hundred bucks and buy a new HRM like my old one, and keep this other one as a back up? Your thoughts or experiences?? Any other ideas?

Aspen:heart:

Replies

• Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    mfp will over estimate your caloric burn, the machines may do the same as well. hrm can be off if your on any medication for blood pressure example beta blockers etc, but i always go off my hrm now that i have it. I rather underestimate my burn than overestimate my burn
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup I would get a HRM! I was wayyyy overestimating my calorie burns using machines! It was saying I burned 600 but it was actually 200 which is a huge difference!!
  • rustyrn
    rustyrn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you are going to buy a new HRM look at a fitbit, I have been looking at them and think I might buy one. Take a look and tell me what you think
  • thatlittlebit
    thatlittlebit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    no way! What machine was this one and were you putting in your weight?
  • mrscamel
    mrscamel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Buy a new HRM. I enjoy my Polar FT7 as well.