Missing my coffee creamer

Options
I really want my baileys almond toffee coffee creamer or my hazelnut coffee creamer. Going on this diet has meant that I have had to cut this out because I cannot just settle for 2tbs it has to be like 4. I also cannot stand the taste of the sugar free versions. Anyone have any suggestions. I live overseas on a Army base and they do not have those syrups that you can find at the coffee shops.

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    How about you treat yourself to one a day or every couple of days instead of going cold turkey...work it in with your calories. I used to have half my coffees with creamer (not flavoured, I like to taste coffee) and half my coffees black....I cant stand creamer in my coffee now so you may be able to wean yourself totally off the stuff.
  • themurph8910
    Options
    That is one thing I could not give up...I drink coffee like its going out of style. I dont use much creamer but I use no sugar or sugar subs in my coffee...just plain old coffee and whatever flavor I am feeling for the day. but i try to limit myself to no more than 2 cups a day.
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi there! So... I couldn't give up my one or two cups of coffee per day either... But the sugary creamers are just not worth it. I know it's an expense but totally worth it - what we did is purchase a Keurig (one cup at a time) coffee maker and buy the flavored coffees... You can have 3 different kinds in one day - no waste and I use fat free creamer (less calories) with splenda which adds no calories! You can buy hazelnut, toffee, pumpkin spice - even eggnog flavored coffee but without the sugar! It's totally worth the investment... And - Christmas is coming :). Good luck! :smile:
  • Erin1621
    Erin1621 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i had the worst creamer additction!!!!!!! I do truvia and 1 tbs of bliss vanilla creamer..and low fat half and half! Its good, bliss is a natural creamer. I still make my hubbies coffee with haselnut coffee mate 4tbs.and now its too sweet for me!
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    try ditching all sweetners and going freshly ground coffee from an espresso or plunger. Fresh ground coffee is not bitter and is super yummy
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    try ditching all sweetners and going freshly ground coffee from an espresso or plunger. Fresh ground coffee is not bitter and is super yummy

I partially agree. I was addicted to half and half. I was unable to limit it, (my addictive personality) so I tossed it. I use almond milk or fat free skim milk. You would be surprised what you can get used to. My motivation is to lose !!!
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I love my hazelnut creamer, too! I use about a 4 tsp a day. And a bit of real sugar in my coffee. It's just my favorite. So, I've cut myself back to one (albeit large) cup a day (down from 3 large!) The rest of the day, I drink a green tea if I want something hot. I am happy with this and I am freeing up calories for food.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Can you whittle yourself down to the smaller amount of cream and only in one cup a day? Or, and I know I'll make those really up on nutrition gasp, just eat fewer calories elsewhere? I'm a plain half and half kinda girl, so although I don't know your creamer pain. But I do know that I'm not willing to give up my creamer. Then again, I'm looking at this as a healthy life plan, not a diet. Losing the weight is only part of the journey and I'm willing for that to be slow. It's the long term that counts.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I use to be like that. I would put teaspoons upon teaspoons of sugar in my coffee, then lard on the creamer out of a dispenser.

I really just liked my coffee with my sugar and cream.

I first eliminated the sugar. There was plenty cream to go around. Then I slowly cut back on that. It helped to drink coffee at home in 8-12 ounce cups rather than gas station 16-20oz. It allowed me to have opportunity to try to get it right.

Then once I started trying different coffees, like Green Mountain and such. I really got the taste for what quantifies good coffee. When I started to appreciate that, it seemed that I didn't need more than 1-2 tsp a cup at most !

I now have cut back to a natural creamer by Nestle and have that with either Starbucks home brew House Decaf or Green Mountain Country Vermont. 70 cals maybe? But I appreciate my coffee more.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I admit... I allot for 4 tablespoons of creamer in my daily calories. I've cut corners other places (like eating lower calorie bread for example) to counteract the creamer. I can't drink black coffee - blech. So, I just make room for it in my daily calories.

I just couldn't give it up. This is my life, not a diet. I wanted my creamer.
  • tconwell
    Options
    i feel your pain. I'm just getting started on this program. been doing it for a week now. From the beginning, I knew coffee and creamer would be hard for me to eliminate. I enjoy drinking coffee, at least 2 cups in the morning and an occassional late afternoon cup. So, I had cut out other things, i.e. snacks throughout the day that was adding unneccessary calories..
  • Firefighter_Ray
    Firefighter_Ray Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have tried to cut out the coffee creamer and decided since this is a life style change and not a diet, I was going to keep the creamer and find somewhere else to cut the calories, or increase my exercise/metabolism. All healthy and no naughty makes Ray a dull boy :devil:
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I have tried to cut out the coffee creamer and decided since this is a life style change and not a diet, I was going to keep the creamer and find somewhere else to cut the calories, or increase my exercise/metabolism. All healthy and no naughty makes Ray a dull boy :devil:
    this

But then I only have 2 tablespoons at a time (only one in tea) & I like the sugar free.
  • michellyn
    michellyn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    What would work for me:

1. Drink coffee only 1-2 times per week and have it with the creamer, just budget the calories.

or

2. Drink coffee as often as before, but drink it mostly with stevia, xylitol,or another low cal sweetener. But give yourself permission to have a dessert cup with your creamer once in a while (you might find that the no creamer version decreases your need for as much creamer).
  • Demwitted
    Options
    Have you tried or do you have access to almond milk? It comes in chocolate and vanilla. I love it in coffee. :)
  • jenhillis
    Options
    Have u tried something like avanilla almond or soy mild? I am vegan so that is all I drink. Almond milk is thicker than soy and regular milk and has a very GREAT flavor.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I love coffee creamer, but I am finding that I love a whole bunch of milk too.

I was drinking 4 mugs of coffee a day before my doctor said to cool it. (I was having some digestive issues, so don't take my personal experience as advice.) I explained that I thought it was ok since I was drinking half caf. She told me that the acidity was the problem, not the caffeine. She said creamer helps a little bit to cut the acidity, but I really shouldn't be drinking it all afternoon. I should just drink it with meals.

Ugh.

That was hard. I love coffee.

I am reintroducing coffee in to my diet after a few weeks of not having any. I find that I have fewer digestive problems if I pour a cup of half coffee and half milk. 2% is really good. I don't use any sugar anymore. It's just a mix of coffee and milk and it is amazing. Skim doesn't seem to do it for me though. I really need that tiny bit of cream to make it taste good.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I agree, soy milk is good in coffee too. I don't usually drink soy, but I was at a friends house once and I was desperate. It was surprisingly good.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I really want my baileys almond toffee coffee creamer or my hazelnut coffee creamer. Going on this diet has meant that I have had to cut this out because I cannot just settle for 2tbs it has to be like 4. I also cannot stand the taste of the sugar free versions. Anyone have any suggestions. I live overseas on a Army base and they do not have those syrups that you can find at the coffee shops.

Wouldn't 2 Tbsp be better than 0 Tbsp?
  • JCGilbert
    Options
    I'm trying to eat "clean" and cut out white/refined sugar. I've switched to 100% maple syrup (1 Tbs) and real half & half (2 Tbs) in a BIG 16 oz cuppa coffee. It's got a yummy sweetness that may help you get off the processed creamers. Check out thegraciouspantry.com. All about "eating clean", and the woman who runs it is here on MFP w/ a 60 lb weight loss. Good Luck!!