Almost goal,Tummy Tuck in Jan...Success but scared :( *Pics*

Options

Replies

• dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am 3.5 weeks out post op. My Dr wouldn't do it unless I was sure I was done having kids. If I were to have another kid, there is no doubt in her mind that it would ruin all the results and that it would be a very painful pregnancy. HOWEVER, each person is totally different. If your Dr is comfortable doing it pre children, I would trust that. Personally, after all the pain that I just went through, like previous tummy tuck posters have said, I would wait until after kids. If you want to friend me, I have pre surgery pictures (major muscle separation from two large babies who were both c-sections) along with week one, 2, and 3 pictures posted. You can see the scars as well as my belly button. If you have ANY questions at all feel free to send me a message. My tummy tuck was done for medical reasons and was not considered cosmetic. I will tell you that so far, I am VERY happy with the results but I don't think that I would want to go through it again if I had the choice. Good luck to you hun and I don't really think that there is a wrong decision here. You need to do what you think is best for you and your body!
  • sweldud
    sweldud Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    my stomach is like that too...and it is definatly ALL skin. I have had 3 children though. One thing i would consider is waiting until you have children to get the surgery (if you even plan on having children in the future) And if not, i would definatly do it. Its your body, and you have done a lot of work and you deserve to feel confident.
  • sweldud
    sweldud Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    haha i just noticed your post about not having kids for 5-8 years. I say go for it! You deserve it!!!
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I say more power to you. In my time here on MFP I've gone from the high end of "overweight" right to the middle of "healthy". I've done it all through good diet and exercise. I've completed 1 round of Insanity, 3 rounds of Turbo Fire, and 2 rounds of P90X. To anyone that says that diet and exercise will fix the saggy skin, I would have to respectfully disagree. Unless you happen to have fantastic genetics and skin with good elasticity, there is really not a way to get the skin to shrink. I'm happy to say that I am having my tummy tuck on December 12th. And I feel good knowing that I have done everything possible to ensure that I am in the best possible shape prior to surgery.

You have to live in your body, so you have to do what is best for you regardless of what anyone else thinks. I wish you the very best!!
  • Shausil82
    Shausil82 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    DevonLigotti,
    I'm in the same boat you are in. I'm very close to my goal, but, have a lot of excess skin from losing a large amount of weight. My highest weight was 240 pounds. I was that 11 years ago, then I came on here in August, and lost more weight.
    The closer I get to goal, the more I have thought about plastic surgery. But, people on here have been so helpful on their thoughts of excess skin and surgery. I decided to wait until it elasticizes back to normal position. Also drinking lots of water helps too. It takes a year or two for skin to return to normal position, and I'm okay with that now. The most important thing in my life is to get to a healthy weight. If someone has a problem with me having a little excess skin, I will remind them of where I was and where I am now.
    Essentially, people will do what they want, but, my advice for you is to wait a little while longer. Sure, your tummy isn't as flat as you would like it to be, but, look at EVERYTHING you have done to get where you are. You lost a ton of weight, and that is an incredible accomplishment. Give your body some time, and if it doesn't elasticize back, then talk to your doctor.
    Good luck, and congrats on all your accomplishments :smile:
    If you need to chat, add me!
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think you should do it, because my belly is the same way but i have had 2 kids, the thing is i got down to 120 after having my son and it was still there no matter what i did , i have spent practically all of my 20's hating my body which sucks cause that is when most ppl are at their best, if i had the money i would totally do it and not look back, more more self loathing!!!!
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    That's not bad at all!!
  • Greenmom77
    Options
    As someone older, who waited until after having four kids to have plastic surgery, I'm going to disagree with the majority here and say: GO FOR IT! Don't wait. Your body is not getting any younger. If/when you do have kids they will change your body in lots of ways that you have no control over--regardless of how healthy you are. If pregnancy leaves you with stretch-marked, saggy skin, then you know what to do about it. TEN OR FOFTEEN YEARS DOWN YHE ROAD.
  • Charlene1221
    Charlene1221 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok your life your choice....Just word of advice I had a Tummy Tuck 2 yrs ago...had waited 8 yrs to do it...I have 2 children though.
    As much as you are disatisfied with your tummy please wait until you have children.
    If you spend all that money now you will be upset once you have children and have the same result as you do now with your tummy.
    You will love the result now but once you have babies you will be back at square one....
    Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.!
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My sister had a tummy tuck a few years ago and then ended up having a baby a few months ago and her stomach looks almost exactly the same as it did with the tuck but I'm sure everyone is different!

Either way good luck on whatever you decide :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    From my perspective I don't thinking you look bad at all, I can only say do what makes you happy that is the most important part. I only wished my stomach looked half as good as yours does now. After dropping 285 lbs. and still have 27 to go... My skin is so stretched out my surgeon said I will be close to the largest removal patient he has done. (Around 30-35 lbs. to be remove in the surgery) Good luck with your surgery....
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Not judging, just giving a lil advice...I would say wait until after you have kids. I'm not exactly sure how they go about doing a tummy tuck, but I would be scared to let my skin stretch out that much while pregnant, knowing I had the procedure done. But in the end it's your body and your happiness. ;)
    this.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    To posters saying to wait to have children...i understand where you are coming from but i dont plan on having kids for 5-8 years...and the thought of living with a body im uncomfortable in for that much longer is not something i want for myself.

I realize there is still some fat in my belly too, but a part of it is just skin that will not go away even if i got down to 100 pounds.

Im a bit suprised at all the not-so-positive reactions....but i respect everyones honesty <3

EDIT: Side note,my surgeon was voted one of the top 10 in the nation by US news and is highly respected in his field, hes going to use sutures that dissolve so my muscles can stretch if i get pregnant, he also states that the tuck can be repaired after children if needed. (yes i know hes pretty likely to say what i want to hear, but i have seen revised tucks as well)

I agree to wait till you have kids. I am undecided on this. How do you know you will have them in 5 to 8 years. It could be 2 years or sooner or not at all. I swore I was never having kids, and guess what, I have 2. all I am saying is that we cannot plan certain things.. Also, do you know all the anesthesia they give you? I just discovered you cant sleep lying down , you need to sleep in a jackknife position as to not rip the stitches. You have a scar. My stomach is horrible after an 11 pound baby, but when the procedure was explained I ran,

Good Luck
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You can always wait 6 months and in the mean time try using compresion wear like spanx and other things daily it will help your skin shrink down. Even if you build up some muscle weight training you wont look all buff and hard. A woman has to get down to a really really low body fat percentage for that and build A Lot of muscle. But it will fill out your skin a little bit and help reshape your body. I have had 3 children and after giving birth my stomach looked just like that. But on my moms advice I wore a girdle all the time for the first 6 months or so and it did Wonders. *16 years ago, befor they had spanx* my MIL lost 80 lbs and she did the same thing. And she is older in her 50s. I am not suggesting that you not do it but maybe try some other things. It is very traumatic on your body to cut off skin and you want to have kids later so in my opinion if you can make something else work and save the money. Maybe for a vacation with a sexy bikini bcuz alternative methods then what does it hurt? Put the money in a 6 month CD or something to earn money while you think about it? It is only 6 months
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    You can always wait 6 months and in the mean time try using compresion wear like spanx and other things daily it will help your skin shrink down. Even if you build up some muscle weight training you wont look all buff and hard. A woman has to get down to a really really low body fat percentage for that and build A Lot of muscle. But it will fill out your skin a little bit and help reshape your body. I have had 3 children and after giving birth my stomach looked just like that. But on my moms advice I wore a girdle all the time for the first 6 months or so and it did Wonders. *16 years ago, befor they had spanx* my MIL lost 80 lbs and she did the same thing. And she is older in her 50s. I am not suggesting that you not do it but maybe try some other things. It is very traumatic on your body to cut off skin and you want to have kids later so in my opinion if you can make something else work and save the money. Maybe for a vacation with a sexy bikini bcuz alternative methods then what does it hurt? Put the money in a 6 month CD or something to earn money while you think about it? It is only 6 months

This sounds like a really good idea, so I looked up the Spanx website. But there are so many different types...what type do you use please?
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing this for about a year and a half now, i did lose most of my weight fast...but no matter what i cant work off excess skin, when i bend, you can see that its not just pudge,but skin thats leftover.
    I understand where your coming from, but i think to be totally rid of that buldge i would have to lose about 15 more pounds and get a ridicuouls low body fat percentage...and i dont want to be a muscle machine lol i like a little softness left to me...<3 ( i do work out with weights and kettlebell and do have muscle, i just dont want to be all muscle!)

You should do a lot more resistance training for your weight lifting.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    In the end you should do what makes you happy, and you have most probably thought this through.....

I fully agree - i doubt you made this decision lightly - lots of research and then do whats right for you

Dont live your life waiting till you have kids - you will never have any spare money once you have kids (lol)

Good point!

I think you will look fabulous after the tummy tuck. I know 2 people that had them done and were very happy with the results.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I just had one in October of this year - my surgeon would not do the procedure unless he was sure I was done with children - and since my husband was just snipped - I was sure I was done.

You may want to ask him if instead of getting a full abdominoplasty, you get a mini. I'm sure your abs are not separated and don't need to be sewn together again.

As for scar care - rejuveness.com was recommended to me - it's a silicone sheet you use over your scar once it is healed. I'm 2 months post surgery and my scar is flat and really lovely (a lot lovelier than the butcher job from my two cesarians)

here are my before and afters.
    IMG_4588.jpg
    four weeks post surgery
    IMG_4679.jpg
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you feel good about yourself. You're not hurting anyone, it's not anyone's money. You didn't ask for advice on whether you should or shouldn't have the surgery just support because you're scared. If you feel it's something you need to do, you know the risks involved and the potential for having more surgery after having children then by all means do what makes you feel best.

You'll be fine...breath deep and enjoy the ride to a slimmer appearing tummy. BTW I think you're tummy is beautiful! For some reason tummy tucks creep me out lol I'm not sure why but I prefer bellies like before's about 98% of the time compared to the afters.
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just had one in October of this year - my surgeon would not do the procedure unless he was sure I was done with children - and since my husband was just snipped - I was sure I was done.

You may want to ask him if instead of getting a full abdominoplasty, you get a mini. I'm sure your abs are not separated and don't need to be sewn together again.

As for scar care - rejuveness.com was recommended to me - it's a silicone sheet you use over your scar once it is healed. I'm 2 months post surgery and my scar is flat and really lovely (a lot lovelier than the butcher job from my two cesarians)

here are my before and afters.
    IMG_4588.jpg
    four weeks post surgery
    IMG_4679.jpg

I see from your page you have 13 lbs you still want to lose. Ive read some places that it is not advisable to have a tummie tuck if you arent at a maintainable weight. Did your surgeon discourage you from losing more weight after the surgery. Sort of a morbid curiosity thing, i want to have a tummie tuck but would like to lose a bit more and dont want to end up hurting my results/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!