Sciatic Pain

Options
Not sure exactly where this thread should go but this works.

Does anyone else have sciatic pain? What do you do about it? I don't know if it's sciatic lately cause my back hasn't been hurting like it did before but I have intense pain in my right quad an knee (exactly the same pain as when my sciatic was acting up and I could hardly move). It hurts to even walk on the treadmill so it's hindering any sort of motivation to go do any type of work out.

Help, help! :) please and thank youuuu

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I started seeing a chiropractor for my sciatic and back pain. He saved my life...
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I know yoga is pretty helpful - pigeon pose stretches the piriformis muscle, which lays right over the sciatic nerve, sometimes relieving that tension can make a world of difference
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like sciatic, since the sciatic nerve runs down the back of your leg to your foot. The knee doesn't get involved.

Is the pain on the outside of your quad and knee? It may be IT Band. Google for IT Band Syndrome and see if that makes sense.

I've struggled with both sciatic and IT Band issues over the years. IT band had me limping for a year - no fun!

I agree a good chiropractor can help. For IT band, I had physical therapy and a chirpractor who also did graston technique to break up scar tissue/fascia - very painful, but very effective.

Best to go to your doctor and get examined and they can refer you from there. Good luck!
  • khotch1
    khotch1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have the dreaded sciatic!!! I just walk and walk and it's actually a crap shoot whether it will hurt or not so I just move anyway. I do light aerobic tapes right now and walk outdoors. I do plan on moving more and more and (from past experience) I know it helps to alleviate it.

Try something different for workouts/movement!

Good luck to you!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I started seeing a chiropractor for my sciatic and back pain. He saved my life...

I was going to say the same thing- Chiropractor. Find a good one, and it can be life changing. Seriously. A lot of people think that Chiropractors are all about backs and bones- that's only a small part of what they do. They work with your nervous system, so that your body can function properly.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like sciatic, since the sciatic nerve runs down the back of your leg to your foot. The knee doesn't get involved.

Is the pain on the outside of your quad and knee? It may be IT Band. Google for IT Band Syndrome and see if that makes sense.

I've struggled with both sciatic and IT Band issues over the years. IT band had me limping for a year - no fun!

I agree a good chiropractor can help. For IT band, I had physical therapy and a chirpractor who also did graston technique to break up scar tissue/fascia - very painful, but very effective.

Best to go to your doctor and get examined and they can refer you from there. Good luck!

Completely agree !
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. For about 6 months last year I had severe sciatic pain, but haven't really had it much since last December. The more I think about it, it might be just REALLY tight muscles cause I rarely stretch. But I'll look into the chiropractor.. I'm a poor college student so I don't know if I'll be able to swing it :/
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. For about 6 months last year I had severe sciatic pain, but haven't really had it much since last December. The more I think about it, it might be just REALLY tight muscles cause I rarely stretch. But I'll look into the chiropractor.. I'm a poor college student so I don't know if I'll be able to swing it :/

Some work on a sliding scale, so you might be able to find one within your budget. Ask around for recommendations though. I used to scoff when others would suggest that I see a chiropractor and assume that I just needed to stretch more or strengthen my muscles more (which I needed to do, but a good chiropractor will also help you with that). The cost was also a huge deterrent for me (I'm a poor grad student!). Finally, after being rendered incapacitated due to blinding sciatic pain way too many times, a friend of a friend who is a chiropractor convinced me to come in for an evaluation, no strings attached. This was 3 months ago. Now I'm training for my first half marathon.
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've got sciatica now and it's such a relief to see that you guys are still moving & grooving. Thanks for the info, it helped me too!
  • sqtolliver
    Options
    Evil, evil sciatica! Accupuncture was a great help. I had a total of 3 treatments, the last in June 2011, and have had no pain shooting through my behind and down my leg since then. [rapidly knocking on wood] Now I do wii yoga a few times a week to keep things stretched out. :smile: :smile:
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Not sure exactly where this thread should go but this works.

Does anyone else have sciatic pain? What do you do about it? I don't know if it's sciatic lately cause my back hasn't been hurting like it did before but I have intense pain in my right quad an knee (exactly the same pain as when my sciatic was acting up and I could hardly move). It hurts to even walk on the treadmill so it's hindering any sort of motivation to go do any type of work out.

Help, help! :) please and thank youuuu
    I am having the same exact pain but all the way to my ankle and heel, it hurts and I feel like my leg is going to give out. Best thing is to stretch and have some one massage it and your hip and lower back.