Varieties of milk

Options
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what are your thoughts on milk? what type is best? why? and which do you prefer?

I can't have 'normal' pasturised milk - it makes me all bloated and crampy so i tend to stick to organic skimmed or semi-skimmed.

I do like flavoured soy milk though ^.^

Just wanted your thoughts

Katie
xxx

Replies

• Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Skimmed and filtered! Absolutely the best! I struggle with "fatter" milk!!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Raw and straight from the cow. :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

wish I had a cow! damn city rules. but I drink full fat regular milk usually. love it straight, in coffee, in protein shakes...MILK IS GOOD FOOD!

if you cant drink dairy, try unsweetened almond milk even though its expensive
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I prefer hemp and almond milk. Rice milk is third on my list, and I can't tolerate soy.
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    I drink skim milk. I can't tolerate soy and I don't like coconut. I have not tried almond milk but heard it is good.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I prefer hemp and almond milk. Rice milk is third on my list, and I can't tolerate soy.

No such thing.

Look at a hemp plant, an almond and a soybean. Not a nipple in sight.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    milk
    n.
    • A whitish liquid containing proteins, fats, lactose, and various vitamins and minerals that is produced by the mammary glands of all mature female mammals after they have given birth and serves as nourishment for their young.
    • The milk of cows, goats, or other animals, used as food by humans.
    • A liquid, such as coconut milk, milkweed sap, plant latex, or various medical emulsions, that is similar to milk in appearance.

Plant milk is a general term for any milk-like product that is derived from a plant source. There is no formal or legal definition for plant milk.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    My thought on milk is that it's for cows not humans so we don't drink it in our house. We have almond 'milk'.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Many people don't tolerate cow's milk because of the lactose. It isn't natural to digest lactose after the age when a child is normally weaned. People in Europe and the Maasi in Africa kept cattle for milk, and a high proportion of them have a mutation that allows them to continue to digest milk.

Most people assume that if milk makes them gassey, they are lactose intolerant. Often times, if they get tested, that isn't the case. Some people find they tolerate skim milk even if they can't tolerate whole milk. Other people can tolerate cheese (the fat is partially digested by bacteria or fungi, hence the interesting fragrances) or milk treated with rennet (Junket custard).

You can buy milk treated with lactase (Lactaid) or buy lactase drops to add to regular milk that will reduce the lactose content overnight.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    My thought on milk is that it's for cows not humans so we don't drink it in our house. We have almond 'milk'.

"I love it when I hear folks say that human adults weren’t meant to consume milk, much less the milk derived from a different animal species. Are you kidding me? So who gets to decide which parts of the cow we should consume? Let me get this straight–we can eat the cow’s muscles, but not the milk that laid the foundation for the growth of those same muscles? Huh? The logic is just too rock-solid for me. " ~Alan Aragon
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    whole cow milk is a complete food.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Silk, Unsweetened Almond Milk - only 35 calories per Cup (8oz)

So Delicious, Coconut Milk Creamer - only 10 calories per Tablespoon

LOVE them both!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • VinVenture
    Options
    For coffee: Whole milk
    For drinking in winter: Semi-skimmed w/vitamin D
    For drinking rest of year: skimmed
    For cooking porridge: Semi-skimmed, regular.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options

wish I had a cow! damn city rules. but I drink full fat regular milk usually. love it straight, in coffee, in protein shakes...MILK IS GOOD FOOD!

I don't personally own a cow either lol. I'm lucky, though, there is this little farm in the city next to us that has a cow sharing program. For a 20 dollar buy in and 10 bucks per month you can actually go milk the cow yourself once per week and get about 2.5 to 3 gallons each milking. It's pretty neat!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    For actual milk, I've been drinking goat's milk for about 5 years.
  • Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I drink skim milk. I can't tolerate soy and I don't like coconut. I have not tried almond milk but heard it is good.
    i have some now, but i prefer soy! I drink Fat free milk! I used to drink 2% but after I had baby 2% tastes like whole milk, and fat free tastes like 2% :)
  • Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I don't personally own a cow either lol. I'm lucky, though, there is this little farm in the city next to us that has a cow sharing program. For a 20 dollar buy in and 10 bucks per month you can actually go milk the cow yourself once per week and get about 2.5 to 3 gallons each milking. It's pretty neat!
    omg i wish we had that!!! save so much money! lol
  • fourxlucky
    Options
    "Real milk" sends my BG levels soaring. :(

I have discovered that Almond milk works best for me. I love the taste of the Vanilla flavored Almond milk by HEB. It is thinner than whole cow's milk, so unless you are used to skim milk it will seem very watery at first.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    The Silk Almond Dark Chocolate will rock your socks! It's day-um good. I like all the almond milks, but that is my favorite by far. I also like Silk Pure Coconut Milk. Very mild coconut flavor, not overpowering at all.
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    The Dark Chocolate Almond Milk sounds delicious I'm going to have to try it!