Does age effect ability to lose weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Never claimed to be an expert here in fact there's been multiple times on here I've stated that I am not in fact a nutritional expert, and all of you say I'm turning a blind eye to your "facts" when in reality all of you turn back to one thing, exercise. My argument has absolutely nothing, nothing, one more time NOTHING to do with exercise. I'm simply stating that if I restricting calories creates weight loss regardless of age. Not to mention the studies are great and all but anyone can manipulate a research study to make the end results what they want them to be. Have you ever considered some of these MD's are in the business of making money and creating "weight loss" products/solutions for the elderly therefore they conduct such studies that shockingly prove to people why their product would be oh so very effective for them to use because their "metabolic rate has slowed" or they're "losing muscle mass so quickly their bodies will not be able to keep up." Sorry I don't believe everything I read, but you can all continue to do so this will be my last post because clearly this is going no where just a bunch of older people trying to attack me because they can't accept that things change. Go back to your atkins/south beach and whatever other garbage diets you use and then come back to me in 3 months when the results vanish along with your motivation. Why? Because none of those diets look at the most basic idea of calories in vs out.

If you don't believe everything you read, then why the hell did you ask us to show you ONE good study in a quality journal and promise to retract your claims if someone could?

Demonstrate a little intellectual honest here, please?

Why don't you just say: I have my bias and I'm going to stick with that particular bias and the rest of you can go to hell?

THAT would be honest.

You are being entirely too simplistic. And we are NOT just talking about exercise. Let's pretend we magically follow a sedentary man or woman throughout his/her life. That individual will have a more higher metabolism at 20 than he/she will at 60 even if he/she doesn't exercise and even if body mass stays the same. One reason for this is sarcopenia- muscle wasting. Their body composition would change. They'd lose muscle mass, especially if they don't exercise. As others have pointed out, there are differences in insulin sensitivity, and so on. I'm a neuroscientist, not really a human physiologist. My area of expertise is brain cell death in stroke, traumatic brian injury, and neurodegenerative diseases. Stoke and neurodegenerative diseases are much more common in older populations than in younger... and why is it? Because our bodies change with age. They become less efficient. They can't repair themselves as well... and that's true in just about every organ in your body, brain included. All things being equal, a 20 year old heart is healthier than a 60 year old heart... and so on.

Even the most basic cellular mechanisms lose efficiency. You know... those cellular mechanisms that determine how well you repair proteins, etc...

Its simple science.

So while you're correct that age shouldn't be used as an excuse and that PRINCIPLES of weight loss in the elderly are the same, you are flat-out wrong in everything else you're claiming.

Those MD's you're talking about, that have supposedly created weight loss products and are getting rich? Most MDs are sincerely interested in helping people. A small few are more interested in lining their pockets. Even the atkins diets you're bashing are based on the idea that they might help people. I am about as far from being an ketogenic-diet supporter as they come... but you are absolutely wrong that they don't look at calories in vs. calories out. They don't count calories specifically, but that's because people usually eat fewer calories naturally when on those diets because they are satiated by the fat.

So... believe what you want... continue to preach that the world is flat if you wish. The rest of us will preach that it's round.
  • gammybarb
    gammybarb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Oh I definately agree it's calories in, calories out. A pound is a pound the world around. I do believe however, that muscle mass burns calories better and is leaner than fat and it's hard after 60 to develop more muscle mass if you have other age related issues such as degenerative disc and spinal stenosis. Add to that Mr. Arthur Itis and a list of other joint problems and walking and light exercise is an effort on a daily basis. Sometimes on a weekly basis.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Never claimed to be an expert here in fact there's been multiple times on here I've stated that I am not in fact a nutritional expert, and all of you say I'm turning a blind eye to your "facts" when in reality all of you turn back to one thing, exercise. My argument has absolutely nothing, nothing, one more time NOTHING to do with exercise. I'm simply stating that if I restricting calories creates weight loss regardless of age. Not to mention the studies are great and all but anyone can manipulate a research study to make the end results what they want them to be. Have you ever considered some of these MD's are in the business of making money and creating "weight loss" products/solutions for the elderly therefore they conduct such studies that shockingly prove to people why their product would be oh so very effective for them to use because their "metabolic rate has slowed" or they're "losing muscle mass so quickly their bodies will not be able to keep up." Sorry I don't believe everything I read, but you can all continue to do so this will be my last post because clearly this is going no where just a bunch of older people trying to attack me because they can't accept that things change. Go back to your atkins/south beach and whatever other garbage diets you use and then come back to me in 3 months when the results vanish along with your motivation. Why? Because none of those diets look at the most basic idea of calories in vs out.

What fad diets?? I didn't see any fad diets mentioned....we are all talking about calories in vs out. We are merely stating when you are older and in particular an older woman it is just harder to lose the weight. Yeah and most of us here are doing it the right way - eating right and getting regular exercise which IS important. You're 22 hon, come back and tell your story 30 years from now. :wink:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    In case nobody already said it, probably wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor for a thyroid test next time you're in.
  • dcdickerson2
    dcdickerson2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a "girls" weekend and caught up on the last few posts. Thanks for the suggestion to check my thyroid. I go to my doctor every three months to monitor the meds I'm on anyway, so I'll ask if the blood tests he does routinely would show thyroid function. I don't think this is my problem, but it's worth making sure.

My problem, as I get older, isn't understanding that calories in vs calories burned equals the difference between weight gain, maintenance or loss. I get that. It's how to live a lifestyle that incorporates so few calories. At 60+, I probably will never appreciably increase my exercise. I struggle to maintain the exercise level I already have. If, heaven forbid, I get sick or end up in the hospital for a week and don't get to exercise that week, it makes a much bigger difference to my overall ability to lose weight than it would have even 20 years ago. My best friend's extra special Christmas cookies are hard to resist. But even one means I pay for it either by eating less at the next meal, or by gaining a pound that I have to take off... again. My daughter's birthday cake is something I can't indulge in more than once. And a very small piece at that. Being this careful gets old, and that is where I could use some tips, some encouragement and some understanding. I don't want to gain all these 50 lbs back again. But I've already gained back about 12 since last Christmas. That averages to one a month.

Just so you know, in general my diet consists of mostly foods from the perimeter of the grocery store: Whole fruits, fresh vegetables, low fat or no fat dairy, very little butter/margarine, a little olive oil, whole grain breads and pastas and brown rice and other whole grains sparingly, lean meats, chicken, fish including salmon and tuna, some beans and lentils on occasion. Very little processed food, boxed food, convenience food except for a few things from Trader Joe's that I make sure do not have a lot of additives, HFCS, partially hydrogenated fats or preservatives. I cook 80% of my food myself, at home without added fats or salt. I have baked, broiled, boiled and grilled for years. The closest thing I do to frying would be to occasionally saute something in a spot of oil, like stir fry. I try to be very careful when I eat out, and try to only eat half and take the other half home, where I usually get two more meals out of it. I don't drink calories, so generally no juice, soda, or alcohol... I drink a little wine or indulge in a beer once or twice a month. And still my weight is creeping up.