Plateauing?Diet Pills?

Options
This is my first time posting in a forum since I have been a member.I have been working out at least 5 days a week(for 30-45 minutes) and I almost always stay within my calorie restrictions and at first I saw amazing weight loss.I have lost 10 lbs. in the last 1 or 2 months and I was really excited to see more loss but I have been stuck at 205 now for weeks...The only thing I can think of is that I have hit a plateau? I know I can up my exercise time and maybe eat even less calories(My limit is 1220) but what happens after I plateau again?I was thinking of diet pills to get through it, any suggestions?

Replies

• Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Push yourself harder, look at what you have been eating, maybe change some things there? I don't think diet pills are the answer otherwise everyone would do it instead of doing the hard yards. I've been at a plateau for a while now but I know my body is changing, that is the main thing. Good luck :smile:
  • stacieroxursox
    Options
    Its totally natural for the body to plateau. It happens to everyone! I was consistently losing several pounds per week and then I couldnt lose anything for 3 weeks! This next piece of advice is going to blow your mind: EAT MORE (work out more too)! That is what my personal trainer and my dietician told me to do. It might be different for you, but the logic behind it is that your body has become accustomed to dieting and eating a certain way so if you "cheat" a little it will shock your system out of its plateau and you will start burning again. It worked for me. Good luck : )
  • merie08
    merie08 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That is awesome advice and it makes complete sense, Thanks:smile:
  • laurensohn22
    laurensohn22 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Is go with the eat more option . As for diet pills ... DON'T do it lol. I tried that and I lost weight all right and gained it back plus 10 lbs -_- I wish is never tried them . Not worth it at all
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i agree.up your cals..it sound scary, but it really does work..i have had to do it several times..good luck:drinker:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Have you had the system recalculate your calorie needs?
    You may be getting too many or too few. EIther one can cause a plateau. Maybe try adjusting it up by 300 cal a day and see what happens.

Additionally, instead of upping your TIME in exercise, you can bump up your intensity. Or even doing something new of the same intensity will actually burn more (your body gets accustomed to the same old routine). If you run, try step aerobics or kick boxing or zumba. Something like that. Here, we can get DVDs for a week at a time for free from the library. Check it out!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    What rate of weightloss is your goal set at right now? If its set higher than 1 lb per week, maybe try setting it down to 1 lb per week for a few weeks (which would give you more calories if your goal is currently set to lose more than that). Some people lose really well on the close-to-1200 goal but others find that their body seems happier about weightloss when their goal is set a little differently. :-). Or you could even bump it up to maintenance for a little while and then bump it back down to weightloss. Just to mix things up s your body isn't so accustomed to what you're doing. Mixing up your exercise routine is a good idea too. Try something new so that it's more of a challenge for your body. :-)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    This is my first time posting in a forum since I have been a member.I have been working out at least 5 days a week(for 30-45 minutes) and I almost always stay within my calorie restrictions and at first I saw amazing weight loss.I have lost 10 lbs. in the last 1 or 2 months and I was really excited to see more loss but I have been stuck at 205 now for weeks...The only thing I can think of is that I have hit a plateau? I know I can up my exercise time and maybe eat even less calories(My limit is 1220) but what happens after I plateau again?I was thinking of diet pills to get through it, any suggestions?

1. Heart rate monitor.
    2. Adjust your macros to something more suitable to your goals.
  • merie08
    merie08 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i have been doing the lose 2lbs a week since i started using myfitnesspro, so i will set it to a lower setting and see what happens. It does sound scary to start eating more calories and expect weight loss but everybody says that is what i need to do so im gonna try it out and hope for the best :)thanks for advice, u all are great!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Don't do the diet pills, worst thing you could do. If you calorie limit is 1220cals, don't lower it because then its just to low. Try upping your calories.
  • Twylla
    Twylla Posts: 51
    Options
    I agree with upping your calories...And eat back your exercise calories if you aren't already doing so. Watch out for high sodium foods too!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I switched from 1-1/2 pounds a week to a pound a week about a month ago. I am still struggling with a plateau, but I must say that my body seems to be 'happier' with those 250 extra calories. I don't battle the hunger and cravings as much as I did before. Past plateaus have taught me that perseverance and mixing things up a bit really do get things moving again.
  • eksb
    eksb Posts: 93
    Options
    Checked out your diary and unless you're not logging everything in, you're not eating very much, especially with your calorie burn. Eat your exercise calories. Try to add in more whole foods-grains, veggies, fruits, chicken breast and fewer processed foods like McD's, Taco Bell, etc.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    It could be that the number of calories you used to burn in 30-40 minutes is less than it was when you started for two reasons:

1. You've lost some weight, so the energy to move yourself is less
    2. You're getting in better shape and therefore don't have to work as hard to do the things you do

Up the intensity and/or the amount of time you workout. You might also consider choosing a 'lesser' burn rate if you think that #2 is the case for you. For example, if you've been using "30 minutes of elliptical at vigorous level" to track your activity, log the workout as "moderate" effort instead - it will show up as less bonus calories.