What is your workout routine?

Options
Hi everyone,
I am wondering what everyone's weekly workout routine is. Do you have rest days? What do you do on what days? Are there any routines that you think are most effective? Just looking to possibly change things up and am looking for ideas.

Have a great day!

Replies

• RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I hike and now I got the Michael Jackson Experience for the Kinect.

I HATE working out/exercising! HATE HATE HATE it!!! So I have to do fun stuff, so it doesn't feel like I'm exercising.

Also as far as exercise and working out, I'm not really doing it for weight loss, I'm doing it because it makes me feel better, the weight loss is a bonus. So, when I don't feel like working out/exercising, I remind myself how I will feel after, or how I will feel if I don't. So its just better that way for me:)

That is just me, everyone is different. I LOVE to hike, and i LOVE doing The Michael Jackson Experience, both of those are super fun:)

Ronney
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Heavy barbell training 3x a week.
    Cardio maybe once or twice a week these days.
    That means lots of rest days per week, but I need it for recovery.

Formerly I was doing weights 3x a week and cardio 3x a week w/ 1 rest day.

Check out Starting Strength and/or NROLFW
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I go for three days on, one off (rest/strength) two days on, one off (rest/yoga). Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri I do a workout at my crossfit gym at 6:30am and Saturdays at 9am, and Sunday yoga at noon.

My workouts themselves start with a warm up (walking lunges, broad jump burpees, bear crawls, kettle bell swings, etc) for 10 minutes-ish, and then move to strength work (sometimes we will be finding a 1 3 or 5 rep max, other days we will go lighter - maybe 65 or 70% of max - to really break down form and work on technique for 15-20 minutes.) Then we'll do a very intense workout that often combines lifting with things like box jumps, pull ups, burpees, knees to elbows on the pull up cage, wall balls, kettle bell swings, etc. and usually lasts for 12-20 minutes. The coaches design the exact workouts so we aren't hitting one muscle group too hard too frequently. Sometimes they are heavy on the cardio, sometimes heavy on the strength work and other times an even split - always different!

When I started in August I went three days a week (Mon, Wed, Sat) and since the start of November have been following the schedule I posted above. This really seems to agree with my body and is working well for me. In the warmer months I add long runs into this... I haven't decided exactly what this wlll look like; last year I did my long runs on Sunday. I'm not sure if I'll take off one day of crossfit for my run, or just add it on Sunday. We'll see - gonna listen to my body on this one!
  • 805_blondie
    805_blondie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I workout 5-6x a week, depending on my ability to get a sitter for my infant son. I do about 45-60 mins of cardio every single day I workout. Then 4x a week, I strength train with weights and I lift to failure.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    I usually work out 6 days a week, 45 mins to an hour and a half a day. So far I've worked out 9 days in a row and may take my rest day on the 15th day because I had more than the usual days off in the beginning of November. I do p90x and insanity mainly with some turbofire, one on one and p90x+ thrown in. Usually 3 weight training days every other day and cardio in between.
  • manvsfood
    manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    P90X 6x a week, It's kicking my *kitten* :smokin:
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I usually do bootcamp/circuit training Monday and Wednesdays, Fridays I do kickboxing/circuit training and Saturdays I do Core/circuit training I usually run about 4xs a week with 1 or 2 of those being longer distance, some times I run on bootcamp days or the days in between Tuesday/Thursdays I usually take one rest day off maybe Sunday but most of the time I could do every day of the week, works for me!
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    During fall/winter, I do gym 4 days a week, mostly cardio and weight training, and then 3 days a week,I do at-home aerobics. I'd probably be at the gym 5-6 days if I could! During the spring/summer, I do a lot of walks/jogging outside 4-5 days a week, and then hit the gym 3-4 times a week. I think a lot of it is trying to switch it up, both for weight loss and for being healthy. Get a bit of everything in there!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I do something every day. It really varies on my mood, classes offered at the gym, my energy level and the weather.

I do elliptical and treadmill (C25K), yoga at least twice a week (at gym or at home with DVDs), hiking (I'm in Washington State where there are so many great trails!), weight training 2-3 times per week (based on the schedule of my trainer at the gym), started TurboFire (and am also doing Ripped in 30, just finished 30 Day Shred and still pop in a Bob Harper Inside Out DVD) and also mix in other challenges from groups I'm a part of on MFP: situps, pushups, etc.

I have to have variety available to make sure I'm working out my whole body as well as keeping my mind interested. I can't imagine getting on the same treadmill every day for 30 minutes - boring!
  • 20More
    20More Posts: 45
    Options
    I aim to get to the gym 3 or 4 times per week. I go to Pilates on Tuesday evenings (1hr class). I do not feel guilty for taking rest days since I joined MFP because I know eveybody needs them and I am seeing better results since I changed this up. I was going 5-6 days and kicking myself when I wouldn't get there.
    When at the gym I do 20 minutes eliptical, 20 min. weights and 20 min. treadmill. Not always in the same order.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I am doing a mix of Insanity, running and P90X right now. I pre ordered P90X MC2 so I am doing this until it arrives (but I was billed for it so it must be on it's way! Can't wait!). I have been doing these workouts faithfully since June 2010 when my journey began:)
  • angiereeves33
    Options
    I love Insanity. Currently I'm doing ChaLEAN Extreme- and I love it. It is a on building lean muscle, which gets that fat burning going at a very rapid pace! It is a five day a week routine, though I often do cardio on my own one of my off days.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    6 days - 45 mins minimum a day -
    Mon - cardio 45 mins
    Tues - strength + cardio (total 60 mins)
    Wed - cardio 45 mins
    Thurs - strength + cardio (total 60 mins)
    Fri - rest
    Sat - 45 mins cardio
    Sun - 45 mins cardio + circuits
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • keekee1804
    keekee1804 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I aim to workout 7 days a week. I do Jillian Michaels DVD. I try to do her 6 week 6 pack (30min) every day & then I add either her 30 day shred (20 min) or no more trouble zones (40min) or all of them on a crazy good day. I also play Just Dance 2/3 a few days a week =)
  • MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I workout 5-6x a week, depending on my ability to get a sitter for my infant son. I do about 45-60 mins of cardio every single day I workout. Then 4x a week, I strength train with weights and I lift to failure.

wow!
  • MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I aim to workout 7 days a week. I do Jillian Michaels DVD. I try to do her 6 week 6 pack (30min) every day & then I add either her 30 day shred (20 min) or no more trouble zones (40min) or all of them on a crazy good day. I also play Just Dance 2/3 a few days a week =)

Holy Moly!
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    5 days a week monday chest, tuesday back, wednesday off, thursday shoulders, friday arms, saturday legs, sunday off. On off days I try to make them complete days of rest your body certainly needs it if you're training/doing cardio 5 days a week.