Has anyone else had a hard time staying warm?

Options
I have lost 50 pounds since my highest weight. I have always had issues with getting cold easily but they seem to have gotten ridiculous. I lived most of my life in Michigan and survived those winters without good winter jackets, just layering two or three hoodies. I now live in north Carolina and despite it being in the 50s and 60s I am unbelievably cold. For example: I was at work the other day (my job is in a warehouse, so no heat. Awesome!) and it was 53 degrees F. I was wearing long cotton socks, rocky thermal pants (made for 30 degrees F) and a pair of jeans. For tops I had on a pair of thermal underwear shirts, two long sleeve shirts, a rocky thermal shirt (again for 30 degrees F) and a winter jacket. I was so cold.

Could this have to do with weight loss? My boyfriends family say I no longer have my fat to keep me warm. I worry I may have some other issue, possibly low iron or something? Any ideas? Anyone else having the same problem? Any recommendations other than wool or fleece? I heard once that under armor keeps you warm but I am not sure if that is the case. Thanks :(

Replies

• capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    You feel the cold a lot more after losing weight, but your body will get used to it after a while. The first winter after I lost weight (100 lbs) I had to wear 2 hoodies, a coat, 3 pairs of gloves, a hat, and a scarf and was still cold! I usually also wore more than one pair of pants, sometimes wearing pj pants under my jeans. Last year I only needed one coat and now I'm still wearing just a hoodie some days.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    This is the running joke in our house now. I am freezing all the time!!! I hope I adjust soon. Great job on the loss!!
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    try capsicum capsules from the health food store and eat zucchini and shellfish (if you aren't allergic) for iodine which produces thyroid hormone in the body. I used these remedies years ago when I was experiencing Raynaud's (sp?) syndrome. Good luck!
  • Trinasan
    Trinasan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing long johns all day!! My husband thinks it's hilarious... But I know exactly what you mean - I just can't seem to warm up.
  • redsdrift
    redsdrift Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    NIce my wife is also the walking ice box. I have lost 78 pounds i have been getting cold alot eaiser so their has to be something their.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I have lost about 30 pounds since last winter and now I get cold SO much more easily!!! My step mom said the same thing!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've always been ridiculously sensitive to the cold. :/
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    In some ways, I'm a lot more "hardy" when it comes to cold. I'll go jogging in shorts and a tee in the 50s and feel perfectly fine. But once I stop, I get the chills, since my clothes are usually soaked through from sweat.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm cold ALL the time.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I still have enough fat on me. Not yet muahahahahahaaa
  • tawanda25
    tawanda25 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I read in a book that when you lose weight you tend to become colder that you usually were due to your weight loss. I have lost 20 pounds. I am much colder than I have ever been. Congratulations to you. I have I can continue to be as successful as you have been. I wouldn't worry. The books was written by a doctor. I think it has to do with your body is not working as hard to function since you lost the fat so therefore it's actually working less hence your coldness.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold, except at work. I think I have cubiclephobia. I get really restless and break out in crazy sweats. I've been wearing my furry boots every day and it's not even that cold yet!
  • willaful
    willaful Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining a hundred pound weight loss for about 4 years now and I'm still not used to it! And my husband is still very large and always wants the window open and the fan on. Am thinking of buying us a dual control electric blanket.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm always colder than my husband, but that has nothing to do with my weight. I think my hypothyroidism has a lot to do with it though.

How are you feeling otherwise? If you start feeling sluggish and tired, you should get your thyroid checked.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    wear some clothes.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    yes. since losing weight, i am definitely colder in the winter. i'd rather wear a sweater, though, lol.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I've had my thyroid checked and it's working normally and my iron levels are perfectly fine, and I have been forever cold since losing the weight. It's become a running joke with my friends and family because I'm always freezing while everyone else feels fine. There was one night last year when a group of friends and family were in outdoor seating at a froyo shop. They were all just sitting in the chairs eating their froyo, one friend was pregnant so was even in a short sleeve shirt, and I had on gloves, a knit beanie, long sleeve shirt, sweater, and jacket and was still, literally, standing on a chair to be as close to the gas heater they had on.

The upside is that duringthe summer, even on the hottest days, it wasn't nearly as unbearable as it was when I was overweight. :)
  • willaful
    willaful Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The upside is that duringthe summer, even on the hottest days, it wasn't nearly as unbearable as it was when I was overweight. :)

Very true! It's lovely not to sweat so much when I dance now.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    yes, I am colder all the time, even in the summer I would freeze.
  • Saezimmerman
    Saezimmerman Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What we may be experiencing is a combination of the weight loss and water intake. Dehydration and excess weight both make your body temperature run high. This is extremely serious in the summers in Texas, where I live. By drinking plenty of water and attaining a more healthy weight, our bodies are more able to regulate temperature. Since this is relatively new to us, we are probably a little sensitive to the difference.
    If you're still fighting it when you have your next check up, you might bring it up to your doctor.