Scales

Options
Hi Guys

I am looking at buying a new set of scales which gives me body fat% and water%

What are some of you guys using and whats your verdict, I dont want to spend too much either

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i have scales that do body fat % and water % , not sure i trust them readings vary so much , and allsway way at the same time of day.

i have a hand held fat monitior and that seems more reliable!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I have a "good" scale. Which I only say is good because it keeps all my readings, tells me bone and fat percentages... BUT I cannot promise as to the fat percentage accuracy for this reason.

I started at 200lbs and about 40% fat.
    I am currently 182lbs and 38% fat.

I know I wasn't getting quite enough protein, but those numbers don't exactly seem accurate. I was asking about the accuracy the other night, and I was given quite a few articles that inform me that scales/handhelds that tell you your body fat percentage with electrical signals can be very inaccurate. This is because the electrical signal will take the shortest path possible, thereby missing entire amounts of fat or even the upper half of your body. They may be off by I think 5-7% when comparing somebody who has been losing weight to their original numbers because of these reasons.
  • CaoimheAine
    Options
    scales are *kitten* :grumble:
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    scales are *kitten* :grumble:

Awe I totally agree with you, as my weight isnt changing a whole lot, but I am gaining muscle! So I would like to know how much my fat percentage is sitting at
  • BeautyAndStrength50
    Options
    Scales are the EVIL... measurements mean way more then the scale. I have learned that through my journey of losing weight.. I wouldnt spend to much on one. i just have the basic digital one that gives me my weight thats all I need and I use the old fashion yellow measurement tape and it worked for me.. Hope you have a wonderful day.. :happy:
  • iPeterRobinson
    Options
    My scales are Salter brand, model 9102. Like all that use electrical impedance to 'measure' body composition, they are not really accurate, but are consistently inaccurate within a reasonable range, which means that while I don't trust the actual values they tell me, I can trust that the downward trend they show on body fat% approximates the truth.

I've read that impedance measures can give a reasonable estimate of body fat % in the 'middle' range (whatever that is) but are poor at estimating in the high and low ranges. Whether they are consistently inaccurate in those ranges, and can still be used to see an upward or downward trend over time, I don't know, because I'm not in either of those ranges :-)

I've measured my body composition nearly every day over the last 6 weeks and have watched my bf% measure drop from about 25% to about 19.5%. I doubt those numbers are accurate but the downward trend has been apparent and matches the observations I have made about my waistline shrinking and I like watching the numbers change (I am a data analyst and so maybe that's why find it interesting).

Actually, one thing Susieq mentioned has reminded me of something. I agree, other measures are so much more useful than Weight, and for this reason I really like the body fat estimate because it helps me keep my focus away from Weight. Losing weight is what we keep being told. You hear it all the time. Weight weight weight. Body fat is what we want to lose and an awful lot of us need to put on muscle weight. I wish everybody would say 'I want to lose some flab' or 'i want to lose some fat' or something. rant rant rant :-)

It's all good fun. What really matters is whether you LGN haha :-)
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I have a Go Walking by Sportline body fat scale. I don't think they sell those in the stores anymore. I have bought it 6 years ago at Walmart. Walmart don't have them now. I also have a Omron handheld body fat monitor that I bought nearly 4 months ago. They both give me the same reading. I trust them.

If you have a scale already, you might want to just buy a Omron handheld body fat monitor. You can find the device at Academy.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    ...and the best thing of all, they're both completely 100%accurate! :wink:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I've heard body fat percentage readings are much more accurate with the use of calipers, rather than scales...I've had this done at the gym and I know people who own their own calipers so they can do measurements at home.
  • iPeterRobinson
    Options
    I started at 200lbs and about 40% fat.
    I am currently 182lbs and 38% fat.
    ... those numbers don't exactly seem accurate

Hi Snookumss, I've looked at those numbers and yes, although they are measured using an inaccurate method, they do show some reasonable numbers that tell a story of good progress.

you said you started at 200lbs, 40% fat which is 80lbs
    and are now at 182lbs, 38% fat, which is now 69lbs

you have lost 18lbs of weight and lost about 11lbs of fat

the other 7 lbs will probably be water that is no longer retained (and some variance in the fat measures).
    of if you're training you may have put on some muscle mass and lost even more fluid too.

Congratulations. those numbers show some nice progress, even if they aren't completely accurate.
  • stayxtrue
    Options
    Well from what your saying Peter. I would say that I would have lost a high fat percentage and gained a much higher muscle weight, which is why I most likely havent seen much change in my weight, yet I have been noticing a difference around the waiste line, I would love to find out my currnt fat percentage. I would like to think its down to around 17-19%
  • iPeterRobinson
    Options
    Yep, it sure sounds like it doesn't it. Do they do measurements at your gym?
  • stayxtrue
    Options
    No they dont, but I am going to buy a decent fat caliper and measure tape, and keep track of all my measurements
  • iPeterRobinson
    Options
    Good plan. Let us know what you get and how it goes. I've read the calipers take a bit of training and experience to use properly/accurately but I'm thinking of getting some too.
  • stayxtrue
    Options
    Yea will do! I think i might get the old school ones i think this will be the most accurate