Anyone have experience with body cleanses?

Options
I have been having some irregular digestion issues lately and my doctor suggested trying a cleanse to "re-start/re-boot" my digestive tract. She gave me a long list and I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with body cleanses, OTC or home remedies.

I appreciate any feedback!!

Replies

• Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Fruit and vegetable cleansing diet. It's natural, good for detox and Livestrong has a list of the fruits and veggies best for cleansing.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I have been having some irregular digestion issues lately and my doctor suggested trying a cleanse to "re-start/re-boot" my digestive tract. She gave me a long list and I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with body cleanses, OTC or home remedies.

Do yourself the favor - you mentioned in your OP that your doctor gave you a long list.

Stick with that list - its coming from your doctor which is where it is supposed to be coming from to begin with....
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

If your doctor recommended a "cleanse", then it's time to get a new doctor.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Fruit and vegetable cleansing diet. It's natural, good for detox and Livestrong has a list of the fruits and veggies best for cleansing.

This.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    ya...get a new doctor...ha

I would increase fiber

I use psyllium husk about a tablespoon 3 times a day...gets things moving regular if you know what I mean...drink alot of water! your body will do the rest
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Not sure what's on your doctor's list. "Cleanse" can mean a lot of things. What you don't want is to completely clean out your colon. You need the bacteria there. In addition to processing undigestible food and bile to make your bowels move normally, having a healthy population of bacteria prevents disease causing bacteria from being able to move in and multiply rapidly -- there's too much competition for resources already.

But if you lost your normal balance due to antibiotics or laxatives already, you may want to re-establish it, just the way you did when you were a newborn with a completely sterile GI tract. Things like raw fruits and vegetables, yogurt, and cheese are things that provide the bacteria that normally live in your colon. Eating hard-to-digest foods in moderate amounts, like legumes (peas, beans, lentils, peanuts) and leafy vegetables/cauliflower/broccoli, provide the undigested material that feed the healthy bacteria in your colon.

It took me several months to re-establish normal bowel habits after my colonoscopy, so you don't want to be "cleansed" by simply cleaning everything out. You want to allow nature to shift the balance to encourage healthy bacteria to out-compete the others.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Your body cleanses and detox's itself automatically, no special "cleanses" required. If it's a digestion issue, I'd go with fiber, or some yogurt. The probiotics in yogurt can help when you have problems with digestion if you need to "restock" the bacteria in your gut. Other than that, it's pretty much automatic, as long as all of your organs are healthy and functioning properly.
  • Candikickbutt
    Candikickbutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree, go with fiber. Fruits, veggies and whole grains. Just don't go buy a hole bunch of OTC stuff and go overboard, do it naturally.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'd be careful, a lot of "cleanse" products are actually just laxatives.
  • wbailey38
    Options
    They haven't worked well for me:/
  • mazza33
    mazza33 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I bought the twinings 'infusion to cleanse' tea the other day. Had it yesterday morning and it does exactly what it says on the tin!! :O lol
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruits and veggies, intake more fiber, and drinks lots of water... and of course workout!
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Dr. Natura Colonix. Been using it for years. It is very helpful for Irritable Bowel System as well. It is a three month cleanse. The first time I used it, it was disgusting what came out of my intestines. I take the powder all the time and do the cleanse in January, February, and March to get out all those pollutants from the holidays.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Dr. Natura Colonix. Been using it for years. It is very helpful for Irritable Bowel System as well. It is a three month cleanse. The first time I used it, it was disgusting what came out of my intestines. I take the powder all the time and do the cleanse in January, February, and March to get out all those pollutants from the holidays.

^^Don't Do This^^^

"But what, you may reasonably ask, is all that nastiness that colon cleansing websites so proudly display as evidence of the “success” of their cleanses? One thing you will find, if you look closely at the ingredients of many colon cleansing products, is that many of them contain bentonite clay. This clay is touted as having been used by indigenous tribes for many centuries (the fallacy of ancient wisdom–my favorite!) and as a “natural” laxative. What it really is is an absorbent aluminium phyllosilicate clay that expands in the gastrointestinal tract as it absorbs fluid. Often the bentonite clay is combined with psyllium, which is often used as a bulk-forming laxative. The beauty of this, as far as sellers of colon cleansing products go, is that bentonite clay is responsible for those disgusting rope-like stools that are touted as “evidence” that people’s colons are coated with layers of disgusting waste that is “poisoning” them. Such stools consist of the clay expanded by the liquid from the gastrointestinal tract, plus the bulk formed by psyllium, all coated with feces. Thus, the product itself produces the very condition that it claims to treat! I sometimes envision experienced and skillful con men tipping their hats in appreciation and respect when they learn this little fact about colon cleansing products."

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/colon-cleanses-a-load-of-you-know-what/
  • obaker
    obaker Posts: 76 Member
    Options

^^Don't Do This^^^

"But what, you may reasonably ask, is all that nastiness that colon cleansing websites so proudly display as evidence of the “success” of their cleanses? One thing you will find, if you look closely at the ingredients of many colon cleansing products, is that many of them contain bentonite clay. This clay is touted as having been used by indigenous tribes for many centuries (the fallacy of ancient wisdom–my favorite!) and as a “natural” laxative. What it really is is an absorbent aluminium phyllosilicate clay that expands in the gastrointestinal tract as it absorbs fluid. Often the bentonite clay is combined with psyllium, which is often used as a bulk-forming laxative. The beauty of this, as far as sellers of colon cleansing products go, is that bentonite clay is responsible for those disgusting rope-like stools that are touted as “evidence” that people’s colons are coated with layers of disgusting waste that is “poisoning” them. Such stools consist of the clay expanded by the liquid from the gastrointestinal tract, plus the bulk formed by psyllium, all coated with feces. Thus, the product itself produces the very condition that it claims to treat! I sometimes envision experienced and skillful con men tipping their hats in appreciation and respect when they learn this little fact about colon cleansing products."

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/colon-cleanses-a-load-of-you-know-what/

EEEEEEEEW
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Yup^^^
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    [/quote]

^^This^^
  • Lily_1
    Lily_1 Posts: 38
    Options
    Read the book - Clean by Alejandro Junger.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

^^This^^
    [/quote]

Totally 100% agree.

Cleanses are pure diet fad, and tons of people...as seen in these forums...still fall for them.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

554dua.jpg