MY SKIN ITCHES AFTER WORKING OUT

Options
WTF???!!! My skin itches soo bad for at least 2 days after working out. Especially on my arms and thighs! Nothing HELPS! What can I do about this without taking a medication like benedril that makes me tired? Does anyone else have this issue? I am scratching my arms and legs all day! grrrrrrrrr. It even itches in the shower, after I've caked on heavy cream, after I make sure the fan blows on me all workout so i dont sweat as much. No relief. :(

Replies

• hannahbellelechter
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It puts the lotion on......
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem too -- not for days afterwards, but for an hour or so after working out. Try an anti-itch cream like Gold Bond. If that doesn't work, see a dermatologist and maybe they can prescribe something.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    increased blood flow. I used to get it all the time. It's subsided at least it did for me. I used to happen all the time when I never worked out and I'd go on short walks.

If not that you might wanna look into the fabric your clothes are or your detergent

Also, it's winter now (or getting close to it) your skin is getting drier. Keep it moisturized.

I just read this

"The itchiness is related to a collapse of small capillaries from inactivity. When you start strenuous activity like running, the capillaries open up again but in the process it sends electrical impulses to the brain, which then reads the sensation as an "itch." It should subside as you continue your running"
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    That happened to me too. It *should* go away after a while. I am not an expert and maybe someone else can correct me if I am mistaken. I think it is due to increased circulation. Those little capillaries are getting good blood flow all the way out to their little ends and while I know capillaries are unable to speak, I think they are doing a dance of JOY saying "Oh thank you for the oxygenated blood!! " I think once they get used to it they will calm down. My legs and arms used to itch and tingle badly after workouts. It went away after a few months.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I would try taking a shower after the workout. If that doesn't help, maybe a permethrin cream.
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    not sure if its the same, but whenever i work out, if i try to wipe the sweat off my face with the gym's towels, my face stings like no other! I think it may be the detergent that they use or my skin is just sensitive and the towel kind of rubs it raw? not sure, but if you use a towel, stop and see if that helps. I try to not touch my face while im working out and that helps, as well as actually *avoiding* fans because the air hitting my face while its all sweaty makes it hurt too!!
    Hope this helps!
  • Ksnoddy87
    Options

:laugh: Lmao!
  • Starieyes30
    Starieyes30 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    OMG! thank you for this! Yes, I keep it moisturized. My skin isn't "dry" and i'm drinking plenty of water...

This is like an allergic reaction to EXERCISE! I know it sound crazy but it's true! *itch itch itch
  • Starieyes30
    Starieyes30 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    guys, I take a shower after I work out and I continue to itch during and after the shower. This is like hives. It's not from detergent bc I only work out in a sports bra and shorts.. the parts that itch aren't clothed (bicep area and thighs)... ;(
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    my skin on my back does this too. It itches so bad after I work out, but I think it is more so because I am working that area.
  • chatdude
    Options
    That is interesting. Maybe your body itches so you can burn calories scratching? lol
    I don't know. good luck tho
  • All4Tris
    All4Tris Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My body does the same thing but only after a long break from exercising. My skin really doesn't itch... the itch is actually under my skin. It's a very uncomfortable feeling.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Shower gel? Use some natural products? Your bodyspray maybe?
    It might be nervendings... your blood sugars and stuff allrigt?
    Actually, there are so many possibilities that I'd go and see the GP, just to clarify
  • Knightrobs
    Knightrobs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you're just getting started exercising intensely and consistently it is likely your body just adapting to the bloodflow/sweat/hormone changes. I had incredibly itchy skin for the first 3-4 weeks of regular exercise after months of being sedentary. Your body will adapt.
  • StarArly
    StarArly Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This happens to me to from running. If I take time off from running even just days.The first couple times I run my legs and body itch like crazy. I just keep running as much as I can. After 2-4 runs it goes away. The itch seems to be below the skin. I don't know what the cause is but it drives me nuts and at least discourages me from taking "breaks."
  • kookalina4
    Options
    Its usually my face that itches after and during a workout. I thought it was due to the sweat and the toxins being released but reading other comments that say its about circulation makes sense to me since I have poor circulation. I just put cold water on my face to cool down and that always helps. :)
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    That happened to me too. It *should* go away after a while. I am not an expert and maybe someone else can correct me if I am mistaken. I think it is due to increased circulation. Those little capillaries are getting good blood flow all the way out to their little ends and while I know capillaries are unable to speak, I think they are doing a dance of JOY saying "Oh thank you for the oxygenated blood!! " I think once they get used to it they will calm down. My legs and arms used to itch and tingle badly after workouts. It went away after a few months.

This is great, my thighs and waist would get soo itchy after a hike or bike ride.

Now I know it was because I was lazy for so long and it was just my capillaries doing a jig.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    OMG! thank you for this! Yes, I keep it moisturized. My skin isn't "dry" and i'm drinking plenty of water...

This is like an allergic reaction to EXERCISE! I know it sound crazy but it's true! *itch itch itch

My family has a lot of weird allergies. Not crazy at all - look up on exercise induced urticaria. If it sounds like you, maybe check with your doc as there are less sedating meds that can help. I hope this type of link it allowed... here is some info from the AAFP: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/1015/p1367.html