Lower back issues - any suggestions?

Options
When I was 14, I developed a "catch" in my lower back...that's the best way I can describe it. When it occurs, it's like a hook that stops me from moving any further without pain. It hardly ever happens, but when it does, it affects my exercise.

For example, today I was jogging, and no matter how I manipulated my posture/stance, it was still killing me stride to stride. I also am a baton twirler, which involves a lot of dancing...and there have been several instances in the past where certain moves are painful because of this "catch." Even doing core work i.e. Russian Twists/Bicycle crunches/hollow rocks are difficult because of the back strength required.

Does anyone have an idea of what this condition is and maybe some kind of treatment there is available? Or even if there is some sort of physical therapy I could do myself to strengthen my back? Yoga/stretching has helped some, but it doesn't totally alleviate the problem.

Any "sound" advice would be much appreciated! Thank you :)

Replies

• DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I'm so not a Dr. but to me it sounds like maybe sciatica pain. That can be very painful! I get it very infrequently but it's SO painful when it does happen. Some people have chronic sciatica pain :( I would talk to a Dr. and a chiro about it . Hope you feel better soon. :)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I have herniated discs and have suffered w/ back pain off and on over 25 years now. There are several stretches you can do to help you along, you might want to google lower back stretches. I learned them from physical therapy. Good luck to you, back pain is no fun! :(
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Go and see the GP and get it checked out. You so not want to mess with your back. From there find the way to a Chiropractor, who should be able to give you the right information about exercising. This could be everything from issues with your discs up to weak lumbago...
  • mhig011975
    Options
    If you aren't seeing a Chiropractor go and find a good one! I've been seeing a Chiropractor for 4 years and he has done wonders. You can go see a MD but they love to operate, don't let them operate on your back w/o a second opinion.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    How expensive are chirporactors sans insurance? I'm not covered right now, and I was thinking a chiro would be pretty pricey for my salary.
  • mcovillion
    Options
    i pay $36 a visit for my chiro. no insurance.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    You might have tendonitis in the back. I've suffered with back pain, since I was young. Years ago, I've gone to my doctor, because of the bad back pain I was having. He's scheduled me to have xrays done on my back, to see what the problem was. They didn't find anything. About a day later, I saw a commercial, where a chiropractic office was giving free examines. I've gone to the chiropractic and was told that I have tendonitis in my lower back.

Call around to different chiropractic offices to see if they are giving free examines. It never hurts to have them check out your back.