low cal foods... (for bingeing)

Options
when I'm bored, i binge (don't we all?)
right now, m having some persimmons but a lot of them lol
so i was wondering what some low calorie foods are, that i can eat
all i have on my list is baby carrots and yogurt. any ideas?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Celery, cucumber, puffed kamut, cabbage, lettuce, spinach, mushrooms...
    Most vegetables are fairly low in calories and are quite good for munching :D
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Binging on yogurt? Thats a new one to me....I usually binge on air popped popcorn with no butter.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't binge.

I guess if you feel like it, shovav91's suggestions are good.
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I binge too - especially late into the night..it's bad only if it's bad foods :)

I've started eating things like:

half a cup of cottage cheese (make sure it's the low fat low sodium kind) with hot sauce and a couple of nuts/raisins
    1 apple with a tblsp of almond butter or low fat peanut butter
    half a bag of popcorn
    a smoothie made with a glass of yogurt and spinach

all these items calm my hunger and don't make me feel guilty afterwards :)

if it's eating out of boredom, then keep yourself busy with things you enjoy, reading, sports, music etc. :)

good luck!!
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    Don't binge, and don't create a "binge-food list" because it only reinforces the bad habit. Control your portions.
  • going2befit
    Options
    Things like mini pretzels, wheat crackers, and popcorn (low on butter) aren't so bad if you feel like you really need to munch. But I'd suggest trying to cure your boredom with things other than food.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    hummus and pepper strips
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

No.
  • KenziesMomma11
    KenziesMomma11 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    hummus and pepper strips

this is one of my favorites.

i also like popcorn without butter, pears, celery, and 100 cal packs
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I hope you aren't binging in a literal sense, that would not be a good habit to have.

Vegetables are a great low calorie snack though. I especially love red pepper strips.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    No.
    No.

But if you're using the word "binge" to mean "eating a fairly large snack", popcorn is a good idea.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

No.

I agree. Binging to me is 1500+ calories in one sitting, uncontrollable eating, and unintentional
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Try going for a walk instead, when a bingeing urge comes on. :)
  • lookitsmikel
    Options
    I have a giant jar of 0 cal pickels for when I get into a bind... That being said, today I hit the 1 month mark using MFP, and I have learned to stop snacking over time. It gets easier when you get rid of the habbit.

Keep the house stocked with Apples, oranges, and other things like this and you will not feel guilty when you have something small at night.

Keep up the good work!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    crunchy foods help me.....air popped popcorn, celery sticks, cucumber slices, and GUM!!!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    hmm I don't binge. To me, it implies eating without control, and I think if anyone does that it might be masking some deep seated problems. Well unless they're just really really hungry.

This is not to say I don't have huge cal meals.. in fact I often save the majority of my cals for dinner and eat very light during the day. But there's nothing out of control about it.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Don't binge, and don't create a "binge-food list" because it only reinforces the bad habit. Control your portions.

^^agrees
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I always have Act 2 -100 calorie popcorn bags next to the microwave for those snack attacks :) It has a slight taste of butter but it is not high in calories or fat like you would think! Deli meat is a good snack! Depending on your calories allowed for the day, nuts are a good snack too in moderation. Pistachios are high in sodium but are good because they are a visual cue. Measure out your portion then grab a separate bowl to put the shells in. As you eat them, it will look like you ate more then you did and make you feel like you ate a bunch when really you are doing a good thing :) Just watch your fats and sodium. I have sugar free chocolate swirl pudding too. It only has 60 calories.

veggies are always the best but I am SUPER picky and don't eat any vegetables other then broccoli and zucchini so I wanted to give you ideas that make you feel like you are cheating but you aren't :) But if you aren't picky, zucchini is amazing when you saute it in extra virgin olive oil with mushrooms then add a tablespoon of a low sodium, low sugar teriyaki glaze. There are some good sauces out there that are only 30 calories and 2 grams of sugar for one tablespoon that you can take advantage of in small portions.

I also like tuna fish and can eat it out of the can. That's a good one too :)

If you balance your meals out right, you don't have to worry about over-snacking. I have that habit badly and it has gotten so much better when I cook my snacks because then I start thinking, "is it really worth the extra dishes?" if it is, I cook then enjoy my snack. If not, then I usually drink some water then get over it.

Good things to keep with you in your purse or on your nightstand. This is my secret...Werthers Originals Sugar Free! They satisfy my sweet tooth and it only takes 1 piece :) Sugar Free Gum can help too!

Good Luck!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I think part of the lifestyle change is not seeing binging as an attractive activity. You need to develop a repertoire of fun activities that don't involve eating. Think of things you'd do more of if you have time. Write them on index cards. Pull one out of the deck when you have that extra bit of time you would have spent in the kitchen.
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You need to develop a repertoire of fun activities that don't involve eating. Think of things you'd do more of if you have time. Write them on index cards. Pull one out of the deck when you have that extra bit of time you would have spent in the kitchen.

i have a list of things to do... paint my nails, read some magazines, surf the web, go to the mall, take a shower. but when i want to munch on things, i NEED food. last night, i ate dinner, finished a bag of Food Should Taste Good tortilla chips, ate about 4 persimmons, a reese's peanut butter cup, and many many many handfuls of oatmeal squares (cereal). i feel disgusting right now because its 6 AM but I'm still hungry :( i ate A LOT yesterday too though. throughout the day, i ate lots of dark chocolate, and lots of almonds. i know i should stop stuffing my face but i just don't know how to. i never stop eating when I'm full. I'm those people who NEEDS to finish their plate. well, I'm self recovering from anorexia and maybe thats just how the process goes since I've been restricting a lot. anyways, thanks for all the help guys :)