Master Cleans)

Options
Has anyone done the Master Cleanse? I want to do it just for 7-10 days as a detox but I have to go to school and work so if the 'cleansing' aspects are really bad I can't do it at this time.

I'm just hoping to find some people with actual experience with this for feedback :)

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm just hoping to find some people with actual experience with this for feedback :)

Could I interest you in some non-experienced feedback along with some innocent smart-assery?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Mister Clean?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    your body is already a master cleanser...give it alot of fresh water and good fiber and let it do its thing
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I did it a long time ago when I knew nothing at all about nutrition lol I still can't think of salt the same *puke*

You know you have to do a salt water flush every morning? Screaming poops is not fun or glamorous :P
    Your body does not need cleasing. It does that perfectly fine on its own. That is what we have kidneys and a liver for lol
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I did it a long time ago when I knew nothing at all about nutrition lol I still can't think of salt the same *puke*

You know you have to do a salt water flush every morning? Screaming poops is not fun or glamorous :P
    Your body does not need cleasing. It does that perfectly fine on its own. That is what we have kidneys and a liver for lol

Epsom salt flush?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    1-2 Tablespoons of sea salt and a quart of warm water. Have to down it as quick as possible. Even thinking about salt water makes me sick now! Gross >.>
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hospitals have a huge problem with people who get sick because their colons are too clean after antibiotics -- the disease causing germs have no competition.

Let your body do the job properly. Your colon is well designed to do what it does, if you don't interfere. It's all a continuous tube, with all the waste from the last meal moved along to make room for the next meal. There is no place for anything to be stored long enough to require artificial cleaning.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I've done it... for 10 days.

Not if I had to show up for work, no. The salt water flushes take about 3-4 hours to get all through with you, and there is no "waiting" possible.

It was okay, it didn't kill me, and I think that it was beneficial for me a the time, but it is in no way a long-term solution to any sort of issue, like weight. Whatever you "lose" will come back.

If, however, you are feeling particularly sluggish due to a bad weekend (for instance), and want to "clear the pipes" quickly, and you are healthy, using it for a day or two might be all you need. If I had health issues that necessitated a fast of some sort, I'd talk to an expert, such as an ND, and do it supervised.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I think the Master Cleanse the OP is referring to is the Lemon, Maple Syrup and Cayenne Pepper concoction. And yes, that sea salt flush is part of the program too.

I do cleanses all the time - mild, herbal ones. For some of us, cleanses really do make a difference and support the cleansing organs such as the kidney, liver, colon and skin.

I would not touch the Master Cleanse with a ten foot pole. That is all.
  • caitymay1
    caitymay1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I did the master cleanse for 10 days a couple years ago... I used cayenne capsules instead of putting it right into the drink, because it's just revolting with the pepper (not terrible without, surprisingly). And yes, the salt water flushes suck... Make sure you have access to a bathroom for at least 2 hours following it....

I found that due to the amount of time I followed the cleanse for, I got rid of a lot of my bad snacking habits, and when I ate, I felt full much sooner. I had actually planned on doing it again a few months ago to kickstart my body into gear for better and healthier eating, but my job is so physically demanding, and some days during the cleanse I just felt like I had NO energy (I was a student the first time, and just spent a lot of time studying, which wasn't so bad). I was worried that I would just drop and pass out or something if I did it again at this point in my life. But not all days were like that, some days I had more energy than if I'd had 5 cups of coffee! I wouldn't suggest working out during the cleanse though, you're not taking in enough nutrients or calories to make up for the amount of energy you'd burn working out.

I lost 16 lbs in the 10 days, and another couple lbs in the weeks following the cleanse. I didn't end up sticking with my new "healthy lifestyle" unfortunately, and ended up gaining everything back over the next few months, it was not immediate... The master cleanse is pretty extreme, and if you're going to do it, I suggest doing it with a buddy to keep each other motivated, because it is TOUGH! But there are also many other cleanses out there if you're just looking for the detox side of it. I also did the Wild Rose cleanse, and it was pretty good (and you're actually allowed to eat food haha!). Anywho, good luck with whatever you decide.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Ive done it. I only lasted 3 days. I had to stop because: 1)i was starving 2) i dropped 10 lbs and my family got worried.

Its a good way to get you started on a healthy diet though. Cause you gotta wean yourself into normal foods again.

I hated the salt water every morning. *gag* It was nasty.
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Cleanses are not needed, just eat clean & at a deficit & you'll be fine. Sure you'll lose some weight because in some cases your eating less than 300 cals a day & losing a ton of water but you'll just gain the weight back after proceeding with your normal diet.
  • MissOmi
    Options
    I have never used a cleanse, so I am wondering, why would you put yourself through one? Your body is designed to move things along naturally. If you drink enough water and take in enough fiber, then you shouldn't have a problem. The only time I think that you should even consider it is if your doctor has said that it is medically necessary.

Really, what is the appeal here? I can't imagine why anyone would voluntarily poop their guts out like that.
  • sarahstolberg
    sarahstolberg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have had to do several "cleanses" before having medical procedures done. There is no way in heck I would voluntarily do that just for kicks.

I think your going to find that the general consensus here is to not do it. Its just not very healthy for you.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have completed 14 days of the master cleanse and had great results.. Lost weight, cleared my skin, and helped reset my appetite to require smaller portions. I didn't take all the baby steps to move back to real food.. Spent a day with juices and veggies.. Next day I added fruits and broths.. By day 17 was back eating animal protiens and didn't gain any of the weight back.. Just remember you can drink as much of the drink as you like and each 8 oz glass is about 100 cals so you arent really starving yourself.. You are taking in calories during the cleanse.. With that said, i woulnt do any strenuos exercise during it. Also I drank the drink through a straw to save my teeth.. You can also drink herbal teas (no caffeine or sweeteners) during it.. The salt waterflush is pretty nasty, slam it down super fast.. Also before bed drink a cup of ballerinas tea.. It helps the salt water flush do it's job more...um..efficiently...
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I did it... I was not impressed. I will not be doing it again. It wasn't impossible to do but like what had already been said... I don't think it is necessary unless you are sick or toxic or have some other medical reason other than just to "detox"

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Really, what is the appeal here? I can't imagine why anyone would voluntarily poop their guts out like that.

^^^ This! This is what happens to you! :noway:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I have completed 14 days of the master cleanse and had great results.. Lost weight, cleared my skin, and helped reset my appetite to require smaller portions. I didn't take all the baby steps to move back to real food.. Spent a day with juices and veggies.. Next day I added fruits and broths.. By day 17 was back eating animal protiens and didn't gain any of the weight back.. Just remember you can drink as much of the drink as you like and each 8 oz glass is about 100 cals so you arent really starving yourself.. You are taking in calories during the cleanse.. With that said, i woulnt do any strenuos exercise during it. Also I drank the drink through a straw to save my teeth.. You can also drink herbal teas (no caffeine or sweeteners) during it.. The salt waterflush is pretty nasty, slam it down super fast.. Also before bed drink a cup of ballerinas tea.. It helps the salt water flush do it's job more...um..efficiently...

Oh trust me.. I definitely wouldn't do anything strenuous during that. At least not without my ShamWow handy.
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    your body is already a master cleanser...give it alot of fresh water and good fiber and let it do its thing

agreed!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I did it. Puked up cayenne pepper lemonade all over my car. Good times!